Chapter Thirty Six

I let out a yawn as I sat down at the Gryffindor table, sending glares to Lee and George as I piled food onto my plate.
"We've already said that we're sorry!" Lee groaned, shoving some bacon into his mouth.
"Yeah - we were dying Emily - we couldn't wake up from our beauty sleep" George added, aggressively nodding.
Fred scoffed from beside me, rubbing his forehead in pain, "Well you little shits, we did pretty well. Made a good start"
"So? How long will it take?" Lee asked, now in a whisper, looking left and right as if there was a spy listening to every word.
"More than 3 hours you moron" I whispered back.

We were quickly interrupted by the post, and I looked around expectantly for mail, knowing that I usually received letters this far into the beginning term. When no owl came I narrowed my eyes in confusion, leaning backwards in my seat to make eye contact with my sister.

"Hermione have you got any letters from mum? We normally get one by now"
"No" she replied quickly, getting up from her seat and walking away from me before I could inquire further.
My eyebrows drew together, a frown settling on my face.
"I'm sure they're okay" Fred said, his hand comfortingly resting on my shoulder, "it's only the second week - give them some time"
I smiled up at him thankfully, giving him a quick kiss on the cheek.

"Uhm- " he started nervously, scratching the back of his neck "- I was wondering if on Saturday you want to have a little date like thing next to the black lake. We could raid the kitchens and have some time alone"
I grinned, looking at George and Lee who were watching us 'sneakily' from the other side of the table.

"How would poor Georgie feel spending that time alone" I mocked, knowing he could hear me, "he's just such a lonely soul - I fear that if we left him on his own for that long he may go crazy"
"Piss off!" George shouted, giving up his pretence.
"George! Now they know I was listening too!" Lee whined, slapping George upside the head.
Fred and I burst out laughing, earning groans of protest from his twin.
"Aww it's okay George, I won't steal Fred away from you for too long" I smiled, patting his hand "Lee will babysit I'm sure"
Lee nodded, saluting sarcastically.
"See?" Fred grinned "he'll be fine. So - will you?"
"I would be honoured" I giggled, giving a little bow.
"Wicked" George grinned "I want nieces and nephews soon"
I felt the heat rush to my cheeks as I slapped his arm.
"I am a child of Jesus"
"Jesus?"
"He doesn't like sex"
"Oh poor man"
"We've been through this before Lee"
"Your muggle beliefs are odd"
"I'm actually an atheist -"
Confusion spread across everyone's faces
"- but let's not get into that right now, it might be a bit too much for you all"
Before we could continue, everyone was ushered out of the hall for their lessons.

I jumped on Bethany's back as we walked to our Herbology lesson.
"Oomph"
"Hey babe" I laughed, adjusting myself more comfortably on her back.
"Gerroff me you slob" she whined, wiggling her shoulders aggressively.
"Nope this is comfy thanks"

I climbed off her back as we entered the greenhouse, Professor Sprout standing happily at the front of the class, and slid into my regular seat.
"What do you reckon she's got for us today?"
"I hope it's something gross" Beth snickered "watching Eloise Midgen get covered in that puss last lesson was amazing"
I tried to suppress my laugh as I shook my head in disbelief.
"After all these years I still can't figure out how the hell you got sorted into Hufflepuff"
"What can I say, I'm a special sort"
"Ain't that the truth" I scoffed.