Chapter Sixty Eight

"I didn't know that you'd stay in the library so long, Lee" George laughed, pulling the boy on to the seat next to him, "Would've thought you'd escape at least an hour in"
I scoffed, cuffing George on the back of the head before placing myself on the armrest of Fred's seat, "I'm a delight to be around Georgie, don't you forget it"
As those two dived into their own conversation, I turned my attention to Fred, "Hello gorgeous"
He chuckled, pulling me from the armrest and on to his lap, "hello to you too, love"
I smiled, gently brushing some stray hairs out of his face.
"Hogsmeade. Now I was thinking -"
I laughed, cutting Fred off with a quick kiss, pulling back and looking at him softly, "Don't worry, you don't need to sacrifice your Zonko time"
I chuckled as he did a small fist bump, his eyes lit up with mischief, "it's field research, for the shop" he reasoned, wrapping his hands around my waist comfortably, "but after George and I have finished, how about we go to the Three Broomsticks?"
"It's a date"

The shop bell rang as the door slammed behind us, the woman still shouting.
"Did you really have to insult her dead cat, Lee?" I sighed, running my hands through my hair, "She's given me a headache with all that yelling"
"How was I supposed to know that ratty thing was her stuffed cat? That's not normal!"
I snickered at his distress, breaking off as I caught sight of Hermione checking the road signs.
"What are they doing?"
Lee turned to look at me, "What?"
I narrowed my eyes at my sister and her friends, walking suspiciously towards an alleyway.
"Uhh, Lee is it ok if you go catch the twins at Zonkos?"
"Sure, why?"
"Herman's up to something, tell Fred I might be a bit late to the pub?"
Lee nodded, giving me a quick hug before running after the twins.
Checking to make sure my wand was still safely tucked in my left boot, I began to shadow the trio, frowning as they began to walk out of Hogsmeade.
"Idiots" I breathed, speeding up slightly as they made their way down the country roads, completely unaware of their surroundings.
The three of them stopped at a stile at the end of the road for a moment, before setting off at a faster pace.
"Oh for fucks sake" I huffed, looking up at the mountain they had just begun to climb, "These kids are going to be the death of me"
By the time I reached the top, I had to stop for a second to catch my breath, before barging into the cave with my wand drawn.
"When I told you to be more reckless Herman, I didn't mean leaving the bloody village and trekking up a mountain - which, by the way, is very fucking steep! I fell and cut my blasted leg on a rock so would any of you like to explain what on earth made you come up here?"

"Emily! This isn't what it l-"
"Please don't hurt hi-"
"Why are you he-"
Everyone stopped talking as Sirius raised his hand, watching anxiously.
"It's been a while" he smiled.
I looked him up and down, the man still wearing the outfit I saw him in last, though somehow even more raggedy.
"Wow Padfoot, you look like shit"
The tension in the air broke immediately, both of us ignoring the confused stares from the three as I pulled him in for a hug.
"I always knew I liked you" he chuckled, yelping as I pinched his arm.
"That was for letting me fall on my face when you stupefied me" I teased, stepping back, "It's good to see you"
"You too, did you finish the map yet?"
"We did, yeah. Just before Christmas"
"Okay are we supposed to just accept that this is a thing?" Ron burst out, waving his arms around, "That this is not extremely weird?"
"How do you know Sirius?" Harry asked, looking both happy and confused at the turn of events.
"He was my dog last year" I shrugged, "That's how he had my wand - I never did ask, how did you get that back to me?"
Sirius chuckled, shrugging, "a wise man never reveals his tricks"
Hermione stood up, hair looking more frazzled than usual, "He was your dog?"
"I found a dog, started feeding it. Just turned out that that dog was Sirius in animagus form"
"She worked it out just before that night in the shrieking shack"
"So... we're all good here?" Ron asked hesitantly.
"With Sirius and I? Yes. You three? We'll see"
Ron shrunk back into his seat at my glare, Harry avoiding eye contact as Hermione sat back down sheepishly.
"I'll let you all get back on with what you were talking about in your secret cave meeting, but I'm waiting outside to walk you back. Don't take too long, Fred's waiting for me" I huffed, turning back to the entrance with a wave to Sirius, "Keep in touch Pads, write me a letter or something"
"Only if you give me the Hogwarts gossip"
"Always"

With one final warning glare, I left the three at the outskirts of Hogsmeade, rushing towards the Three Broomsticks.
"Where have you been?" George asked, looking me up and down, "and why is your leg bleeding?"
"Long story... wheres Fred?"
"He went looking for you. When you didn't show. Half an hour ago"
I avoided his eyes, "I need to explain why I was late to him - did he go with Lee?"
"No Lees in the bathroom"
"No I'm not"
"Lee's back!" George shouted, dragging Lee to sit beside him, "and now you can tell us where you were"
"Because Fred is..." Lee held out the last word, eyes trailing off towards the door, "right there!"
I rushed to give Fred a hug.
"I'm so sorry I was late, those three did something again and I -"
Fred shushed me, placing his arm around my shoulders and guiding me back to our seats, "you can tell me about it later, but first I want to have some butterbeer"
I just laughed, ducking my head, "Okay"