Chapter One Hundred and Forty Six

That night seemed to drag on forever.

After finishing our butterbeers, a heavy silence settled over the room which was only broken by the occasional 'do you think dad's okay?', followed promptly by Sirius, Lee or I reassuring them.
Harry spent most of the time picking at the skin around his fingernails, a guilty look on his face.

At some point in the night, I had moved to sit on Fred's lap at his insistence, his hands playing with the hem of my jumper until he fell into a doze, head sagging forwards onto my shoulder.
George had taken my seat next to Lee, the two sat almost huddled together, Lee muttering reassurance every few minutes. If it seemed obvious that they were too close to be platonic, no one cared.
Ginny was curled like a cat on her chair to the left of me, but her eyes were open, staring aimlessly at the wooden table. I reached over from where I was sat, holding her hand.
Ron was sitting with his head in his hands, whether awake or asleep it was impossible to tell.
Harry and Sirius seemed to hold a silent conversation, the two looking very out of place. If it had been any other situation, I'm sure they would've bolted out of the room.

Finally, at ten past five in the morning by Ron's watch, the kitchen door swung open and Mrs. Weasley entered the kitchen. The noise shocked Fred from his sleep, panic lighting up his face.
She was extremely pale, George, Ron, and Harry half-rising from their chairs at her arrival. She gave a wan smile, eyes tired.
Fred tightened his hold on my jumper, looking at her almost desperately.
"He's going to be all right," she said, her voice weak with tiredness. "He's sleeping. We can all go and see him later. Bill's sitting with him now, he's going to take the morning off work."
Fred sighed a sigh of relief, burying his head in my shoulder, squeezing his eyes shut against my skin. George and Ginny got up, walked swiftly over to their mother, and hugged her. Ron gave a very shaky laugh and downed the rest of his butterbeer in one.
"Breakfast!" said Sirius loudly and joyfully, jumping to his feet. "Where's that accursed house-elf? Kreacher! KREACHER!"
When no house elf appeared, he sighed.
"Oh, forget it, then," muttered Sirius, counting the people in front of him. "So it's breakfast for — let's see — nine . . . Bacon and eggs, I think, and some tea, and toast —"
Harry hurried over to the stove to help.
"You should hug your mother," I whispered, sliding off Fred's lap, kissing his cheek before making my way back over to Lee.
I watched as Molly hugged Fred, before pulling Harry into a fierce hug.
"They're going to be alright now, right?" Lee asked me quietly.
"I don't think they'll be okay until Arthur is home safe," I replied, looking at the twins worriedly, "and I don't know how long that'll take."
"But he will be ok."
At Lee's forceful words, I looked at him wordlessly. I couldn't tell if he was trying to convince me or himself.
I eventually nodded. "Yeah. He'll be okay."

Watching Molly and Sirius cook together was weird

Watching Molly and Sirius cook together was weird. Even weirder still was that they seemed to be getting along.
At some point Harry pulled Sirius away, in to the other room.
Patting Lee's shoulder, I excused myself from the table, moving to stand beside Molly.
"Are you alright?"
She startled, "I- oh, yes of course I am, dear. A little tired, but then again it has been a busy night."
"You don't have to cook for us Molly. Please, sit down. I think I can handle cooking some sausages and eggs."
She waved me off, smiling. "Don't be silly, the cooking calms me down."
"Fair enough," I laughed, raising my hands in surrender, "just tell me what to do."
We worked together in silence for a while, before Molly looked at me weirdly.
"What? I feel like my mums just caught me doing something I shouldn't be."
"You're good for Fred."
I looked at her, mouth slightly agape. "Thank you?"
"You and Lee..." She stopped herself from saying something, shaking her head instead. "The twins are lucky to have the two of you."
"Molly-"
She just smiled tiredly before dumping the last lot of the sausages onto a plate, deciding the conversation was over. "Food everyone!"