Chapter One Hundred and Forty

The D.A meetings, to Harry's credit, had been going over extremely well.
Neville had successfully disarmed Hermione, Colin Creevey had mastered the Impediment Jinx after three meetings' hard effort, and Parvati Patil had produced such a good Reductor Curse that she had reduced the table carrying all the Sneakoscopes to dust.
Last meeting, Lee had even managed to disarm both of the twins in one fowl swoop (and had not shut up about it since.)

"You see the numerals around the edge of the coins?" Hermione said, holding up what looked like a galleon. The coin gleamed fat and yellow in the light from the torches. "On real Galleons that's just a serial number referring to the goblin who cast the coin. On these fake coins, though, the numbers will change to reflect the time and date of the next meeting. The coins will grow hot when the date changes, so if you're carrying them in a pocket you'll be able to feel them. We take one each, and when Harry sets the date of the next meeting he'll change the numbers on his coin, and because I've put a Protean Charm on them, they'll all change to mimic his."
A blank silence greeted Hermione's words. She looked around at all the faces upturned to her, rather disconcerted.
"Well — I thought it was a good idea," she said uncertainly, "I mean, even if Umbridge asked us to turn out our pockets, there's nothing fishy about carrying a Galleon, is there? But . . . well, if you don't want to use them . . ."
"You can do a Protean Charm?" said Terry Boot.
"Yes," said Hermione.
"But that's . . . that's N.E.W.T. standard, that is," he said weakly.
"Oh," said Hermione, trying to look modest. "Oh . . . well . . . yes, I suppose it is. . . ."
"How come you're not in Ravenclaw?" he demanded, staring at Hermione with something close to wonder. "With brains like yours?"
"Well, the Sorting Hat did seriously consider putting me in Ravenclaw during my Sorting," said Hermione brightly, "but it decided on Gryffindor in the end."

"You're a bit scary, you know that?" Beth said, "I sometimes forget you're Emily's sister, then you do something like this

"You're a bit scary, you know that?" Beth said, "I sometimes forget you're Emily's sister, then you do something like this..."
"Uh, thank you? So does that mean we're using the Galleons?"
There was a murmur of assent and everybody moved forward to collect one from the basket.
Fred looked mournfully at Hermione, shaking his head, "Imagine if she put that brain to use, helping us with pranks."
"Using it for academic achievement," George added, handing me my galleon, "what a waste."
I rolled my eyes, though a small rush of jealousy stabbed at me, old insecurities rising up. I put the coin safely in my pocket before crossing my arms self-consciously.

Soon Harry split us into groups once more, this time to work on jinxes. I joined Beth, Ebony and Miles, ignoring the twins' strange looks.
Connor was currently being suspended in the air by the Sterling twins, each laughing as he swiped at them helplessly.
"This one's got to be my favourite," Miles grinned, watching as Beth (who was now in the form of a duck) angrily pecked at his shoe, "I mean come on, that's amazing."
Ebony laughed, "Come on, we cant just leave her like that."
"Why ever not? She's much nicer this way." he replied, smile growing at the angry quack he got in response.
I snorted, "She definitely just called you a dick."
Ebony tutted, reversing the spell with a small flick of her wand.
Beth got back to her feet, a dangerous look on her face, before aiming her wand at Miles, "Duckliflors."
As Miles flapped his wings angrily, Ebony and I tried to hold back our laughter.
"Yeah, not so funny is it? - Quack as much as you like, you're staying like that until we leave."
"QUACK"
"oh shut it you bloody twat."

"H, can I talk to you for a moment?"
Hermione looked up from her spot in front of the fire, frowning at my concerned look. She nodded, moving aside to let me sit.
"Have you from our parents yet? I haven't heard from them since leaving for the -" I broke off, looking at how packed the common room, "the burrow. I mean, it's almost November - you think they'd have written by now."
Hermione's face grew pale, clearing her throat before meeting my eyes, "I - uh. They wrote to me last week."
I scoffed, ignoring how that stung. "Can I see it?"
"Uh - I didn't keep it." she said, looking determinedly at her parchment, "It was just the usual stuff."
"Well..." I could feel a bitter smile on my face, "That's just great."
"I'm sure they-"
"If you didn't show me, that means they didn't mean for you to pass on a message." I shrugged, "I thought maybe even one letter - but no. Obviously they have nothing to say."
"Emily-"
Hermione's call faded into the background as I rushed towards the girls' stairs, tears burning behind my eyes.