Chapter Eighty

As I stood there, eyes adjusting to the scene, the band seemed to register what had happened, the happy music dying out clunkily as another scream (sounding an awful lot like Cho) echoed around the stadium.
Numbness spread through my body as Cedric's parents stumbled down towards the quickly amassing group, loud cries escaping his father's lips.
"My boy!"
A distant part of my brain began to nag me, drawing my attention to Professor Moody trying to wrench Harry away from the body, mechanical eye swirling aggressively.

Limbs finally kicking back into gear, I approached the sobbing Harry, glaring at Moody as I did so

"Come on Harry, let's go to the tent. I'll get you all patched up, okay?"
"I'm not leaving him!"
Dumbledore stood to the side slightly, watching me with an encouraging nod.
Tears falling from my eyes, I crouched by his side, refusing to look at Cedric's body, "Please Harry. Let me just get you out of the way before people start asking you questions. His parents needs time to process this, too"
Finally nodding, Harry grabbed a hold of my arm, leaning heavily on me as we made our way to the medical tent.
Mad-Eye began to follow us, the clunking leg of his echoing with every step.
"We won't be needing your assistance, Professor" I said, voice taut, "I suggest you stay with Dumbledore, they could use you right now"
"No, I think it's best-"
"Really" I deadpanned, "I insist"
Breath hitching on another sob, Harry gave me a confused look, complying when I gently pushed him in the direction of the medical tent, Madam Pomfrey waiting at the entrance.
"He's bleeding and needs to be looked over" I stated, eyeing Dumbledore over Moody's shoulder, watching Snape run up to him, a hushed conversation occurring, "we need to take a look at him"
"He needs to come with me" Moody replied, stepping once more towards the medical tent.
"With all due respect, Professor, it can wait"
Taking another step towards me, Moody went to speak, stopping abruptly when Dumbledore appeared by his side.
"Can we have a word Alastor? Wont be a minute"
Complying, he followed, shooting me a harsh glare as he left.

"Emily, I've treated his wounds, but..."
I nodded at Madam Pomfrey, climbing onto the bed and pulling Harry into a hug, the boys sobs shaking his shoulders.
"You're okay" I soothed, running my hand up and down his back, "You're okay"
After a few minutes, the Weasley's and Hermione arrived at the tent's entrance, and I softly transferred Harry to Mrs Weasley, moving shakily across the room to Fred.
Ignoring everything, I simply rested my forehead against his collarbone, trying to drown out the noise.
Placing his hand on the back of my neck, he held me steady, the contact grounding me to the moment.
I stayed there, ignoring the hushed conversations above me, only moving when the sound of new footsteps entered the tent.
"Harry-"
"He's back" Harry sobbed, hand holding tightly on to Molly's arm, "Voldemort- he's back. I tried to stop him professor but -"
Mrs Weasley shushed him as he choked on another sob, Ginny moving to his other side and silently taking his hand in her own.
"I'm sure you did all you could Harry" Dumbledore said calmly, "you couldn't have done any more"
"He - Wormtail was there. It's my fault. If I had just -"
Features crinkling into a frown, Dumbledore gestured for Mrs Weasley to bring Harry, "Let's go to my office"

As Harry left to speak with Dumbledore, I turned and buried myself in Fred's chest, wrapping my arms around his neck as I finally let the tears fall.
"He's gone"
"I know"
"Things aren't ever going to be the same again are they?" I sobbed, ducking to press my face fully into his shoulder.
"No. No they won't"
We stood in that embrace for a while, Fred's hand running through my hair grounding me, before I started to regain awareness of my surroundings.
"- urely he can't be back"
"are you saying Harry lied?"
"of course not 'Mione - maybe just... saw it wrong?"
"Wrong? He's traumatised not insane-"
To my left, Bill, George and Lee were having a conversation, Fred chiming in every now and then.
"- what this means for the rest of the year"
"The safest place is Hogwarts, surely"
"As long as Dumbledore's here then, yeah I'd say so. Plus I'll have Lee to defend me"
"Shove off George"
"Just accept it"
Taking a deep breath, I finally took a step back from Fred, letting the rest of my sensations flood back.
"Right" I huffed, wiping my tears away and reaching out for Fred's hand, "We should leave the tent, I'm sure Harry will be waiting for all of you in the common room"
"I'll go find mum" Bill said, gathering everyone into a large group hug with a small smile, "I'll see you ... when I can"
"Thanks for the date" Ginny scoffed, rolling her eyes sarcastically, "I'll be sure to mark it down on mums calendar"
"Sod off you little-"
Fred sent them a look, both of them backing up.
"Let's just get back"