Chapter 145

3004 words

I glance at the tray of hor d'oeuvres. The hunger pains in my stomach telling me I need something to at least nibble on, but something telling me in the back of my mind to stay away from it. Still I can't help but set the motions up once more. Somehow I am able to discern the fact that I am dreaming of the play by play that happened all over again, but instead of forcing myself awake I try to absorb what all is happening around me, taking it in so the information might be useful in the future. The man once again collides with me. His red wine once again spills all over the skirt of my beautiful gown.

I look up into his face, trying to make sure I recall everything I can about his features. I'm certain this is definitely something I should be focused on; that I will need this information in the future. When he apologizes his accent most definitely seems French, and not something I contrived in my mind simply due to the fact that he called me 'mademoiselle.'

I don't know much about male hairstyles but the top half of his hair is longer and slicked up to create a mass elaborate formation on top of his head above his high forehead. The sides are closer clipped to his scalp, but not entirely shaved. His hair color is a mixed balance of coppery browns with lighter blonde strands scattered here and there, which might have been achieved from hours in the sun, but I imagine was more likely accomplished via a trip to a high end hair salon or barbershop.

I study his facial features closely. He has thick but dramatically shaped eyebrows that frame in harsh lines over his grayish-blue eyes. His nose dramatically slopes down his face to where it prominently protrudes at the end. It isn't overly large, but the deep slope exaggerates its size a bit. He has a moustache shaped in a thinly styled downward v shape as well as a patch of detached hair below his bottom lip and a smallish patch of hair on his chin. His upper lip forms a perfect bow but is on the thinner side. His lower lip is only slightly larger than his upper. His skin tone is a medium light brown sunkissed olive color.

I'm glad I had a chance to study his face in length this time around in my dream before suddenly the dream transfers to when I find the note in my room. I find myself frowning at the poorly constructed letter, but only because it is not something I would have ever written. That realization however has me smiling because there is no way that my soulmates would ever believe I would leave them after I left something like this. They would know I had been taken. Still I hear myself repeating the words I uttered just before the strong arms clamped around me. "What? I didn't type this. Why does it have my name on it at the bottom?"

Then I am reliving the fierce hold on me, and I know that it's likely I am thrashing about in my sleep. "No, I did." I once again hear the familiar female voice utter in English, before she continues on in Korean. She thinks I don't understand her but I do. "Brother dear. Make sure to take that ring off her finger and leave it with the letter."

I find myself suddenly waking up just after I put two and two together and realize who the voice belonged to. Hye Rin. But why? If I am honest with myself I think she has always put me on edge a little bit, but I couldn't pinpoint the reason behind those emotions. Perhaps it had something to do with this plot she had worked out, or it had to do with whatever grudge she might hold over me. I blink away the remnants of sleep and try to peel myself from my resting spot. I cringe at the soreness in my back and shoulders before looking down at the meager mattress I was sleeping on. It barely provides any comfort from the concrete floor it lies on top of. I peel away the thin itchy blanket that was placed over my body. I almost want to thrust it away, but it did at least provide me a bit of comfort in this chilly room.

That's when I look at my surroundings. The first thing I notice is the oversized rusty cage I am trapped in. I pull myself to my feet and grip my hands around the rusty bars to peer out further in the room. I cringe as a flake of metal burrows its way into the skin of my finger. I pull my hand away and try to remove the sliver of metal that is embedded into my flesh. I can't say whether it is lucky I managed it or not when the wound wells with a droplet of blood. I struggle but manage to rip off part of my shirt tail and use the small piece of fabric as a temporary bandage.