Chapter 3

I made a promise. I told Rebecca that she would be the first one to hear about my soulmate mark. Unfortunately, it's been a couple days, and she has still been out tending to her sick son. So, that's why Candace is still nagging me about it. I'm exceptionally glad that my marks can be covered by both of my work uniforms. I don't want to keep them a secret per se, but having seven would definitely get me a lot of attention I don't necessarily want.

"It's been two days! Two days! How can you keep a secret like this for so long? You were so excited about getting the procedure done. It was practically the only thing you would talk about since I first met you." Candace and Rebecca are probably the two closest people to me in the world. I don't spend a lot of time with them outside of work, but I definitely enjoy their company whenever I am around them.

"I told you. I promised I would tell Rebecca first. It's not like she planned on Joshua getting sick." Candace frowns at that thought. I wasn't trying to make her feel guilty, but her tireless questioning was beginning to get on my nerves. "I'm telling her later today. So, I can tell you tomorrow."

She shakes her head at me, and I find myself momentarily amused to watch her honey colored ponytail flicking back and forth with the movement. "Nope. Not good enough. What time do you get off work tonight?"

I arch an eyebrow at her, wondering where she is going with this. "Eight o'clock. Why?"

"I'm sleeping over. I'll be at your house at nine. That should give you plenty of time to get home." I wrinkle my nose in distaste at her rudeness. I know it wasn't her intent to be impolite. She just has a bluntness about her that most times I happen to envy.

"I guess I can live with that. You know my apartment is dinky though, right?" She nods. "Okay, then I only have one stipulation. You bring pizza with you."

"Only if you let go of your bad carb vibe. I am not getting a cauliflower crust pizza tonight. We are splurging!"

I sigh but nod in agreement. That's two times this week I will be cheating on my pseudo diet. It's not that I completely eliminate carbs I just try to stay away from semolina flour, all purpose flour, and potatoes. I also try to only eat whole grains and whole wheat. If it simply says 'wheat' I don't often consume/buy it since the package is not elaborating on what kind of wheat it is.

"I'm feeling bbq chicken pizza. How does that sound?" Candace asks.

I nod. I only have one stipulation. "No pineapple this time though. I am not feeling it today for some reason." I shrug my shoulders to indicate the fact that I don't quite know why I feel this way I just do. I honestly do like pineapple on pizza but I generally prefer pineapple raw and chilled.

"What if I get in on half?" She offers.

It's not a bad compromise so I nod. There's always the possibility that I will change my mind between now and nine pm anyways. If I do, I am sure I can swipe one of the pineapple pieces out from under her nose.