Vol 1 Chapter 2.2

The defects of class-D

On the second day of school, well technically the first day of classes, the majority of the day was spent going over rules and policies.

Many of my classmates had their expectations blown away over how nice the teachers seem to be. Though we weren't that naive, not anymore at least. To my surprise, everyone actually paid attention to what those teachers said and honestly I'm touched!

I was almost certain they would ignore my words and mess around in class. Though I guess they're just paranoid about their private points. Talk about stingy.

Of course it's not like all of them managed to pay attention for the entirety of class, some nearly fell asleep and most almost lost concentration. Some of the people I know personally in the class didn't seem to have problems though like Ayanokouji, Horikita, Mii-chan and Masaki.

In such a tensed atmosphere, it soon became lunchtime. Getting up from their seats, students begin to go out for lunch with some of their acquaintances. How I envy them.... Well I better make this time to talk with Masaki. Doesn't look like she agreed to go with anyone yet, and what are the chances she'll ignore me?

High, very high in fact. But in the end she always spies at me from a distance.

"Hey Masaki. Wanna go eat lunch together in the cafeteria? Oh and this time it'll be my treat so order anything you like, the food there shouldn't be expensive." If it is I'll have a serious word or two with the principle!

"Hmm? Sure, I don't believe I have any acquaintances worth meeting." I'm sure a few people in the class who heard that got their hearts crushed for a moment.

"You could have been more vague, come on." I shove my hands into my pocket as I leave the classroom, smartphone in hand as I play a game I've recently downloaded.

Man, walking together like this really brings me back. Though in the past, we were definitely way different...or at least, I was.

°°°

"Look Daisuke-kun! Your Papa and Mama has found you a new friend to play with!"

Those were the first words I heard once I was introduced to a girl who was named Masaki Akasuki.

In the past, I hated cute girls. "Youth is a lie. It's nothing but evil." I still can't believe I spoke these words out if my mouth when I was still a small naive child.

Every time a girl calls out to me, the effects of that call linger in my mind. If they reply to a text, my heart races, and if they do so much as to call me, I'll stare at my call history for hours on end. Butterflies appear in my stomach and I feel something for them.

I've always been happy to help people since birth, seeing the smiles of those around me fills me with a sense of warmth. I've always wanted to be singled out to be another individual in someone else's life and not just some person. So, I kept helping. Wanting the best for only myself and leading to situations no one else could possibly think of just for the shake of lending a hand to my peers.

But that hand wasn't meant to lift them up, it's an offering from them to me.

Girls are no different than men in this regard. They always want men to help them with the simplest of activities, and I was one of them. I didn't care if I was made fun at or bullied because of this ideal of mine, I just wanted to sense those warm smiles.