Vol 4 Chapter 6.1

Stand by me

Episode 1; Kurenai Rayla

Morning, Saturday, August 7th. I wake up from what feels like a hospital bed, my eyes stare directly up into the ceiling as I slowly begin to move my upper body up and look around the room I'm currently in.

It's the nurse's office, I know this much from the amount of times I've been here to get my cough medicine. Dry throats are shit you really shouldn't joke around with, especially when you talk as much as me huh?

No one but me is in the room the more I look around, thankfully the air conditioner is on so I don't have to worry about overheating while it's the end of Summer.

"End of Summer huh....?" I mutter to myself before quickly getting out of the bed with a yawn.

It's almost the end of Summer again, this should be about my 16th Summer in my life that's past without anything exciting happening. The end of Summer would mean the start of Winter. Winter....... it's a time of year I personally don't like for personal reasons, it's a great time of the year for many but I hate it.

I'm childish for holding a grudge I guess, holding a grudge against something that isn't even living. Whenever I think of winter an unpleasant memory comes to surface, I'd rather spend my time of winter alone for now unlike Summer.

"New clothes huh? Someone must have been here to check on me, how nice."

I put on the set of new clothes after removing my original one. These new clothes are similar enough my signature casual look, the real only difference is the hoodie is now a T-shirt but that's just a minor difference I can look past.

This new set of clothes also include a pair of black gloves, not sure why I would need those but I put them on anyway. They're warm, but not too warm. The perfect fit for me to have in Winter, well it doesn't matter when-

"Hang on, crap it's Autum not Winter.... Guess thinking of Winter too much polluted my brain slightly. It's no surprise I'm not perfect I suppose."

I pick up my bag and leave the room with a tired expression.

Doesn't seem like anyone's around at this time, well it's early....too early in the morning even. Normally I wouldn't wake up around 4 but today is an exception, nothing much should be happening not do I know the reason I was on a hospital bed in the first place but might as well make my way back to the roof while no one's awake.

I begin to casually walk down the hallway, greeting some employees and staff members on the way with a wave. They gotta be on the work 24/7 to earn money, hard to believe once we graduate we'll have to find jobs and work like these guys. Some of them might go to a college or something but I know as hell I likely won't be going to some sort of college, still my mind could be changed in the future since I still have another two years here not including this year.

"Hmm? Is that...oh, hey Ray-chan!"

"Huh? Daichin! What's up broski?"

Ray-chan seems to be holding a bag of instant noodles, definitely not the healthiest option but this is a girl who drinks a bottle of coca cola basically everyday so her lifestyle itself isn't healthy.

"Where you off to this early in the morning my childhood best friend?"

"I could ask you the same thing dummy! You were the nurse's office a few minutes ago right? You sure you're ready to go?"

"Yeah, my energy's all back for today and I'm rearing to go already! Now for my question, where you heading?"

"I was thinking on heading to the nurse's office to check on you but looks like you're alright now Daichin! Come on, let's hang out on the roof!"

We begin to head towards the roof of the ship while chatting about random stuff.

As a reminder I have to live on the roof of the ship because of the amount of people who want to hunt my head for answers. There's apperantly less people now trying to find me so I have more opportunities to go out and buy shit, honestly I'm too used to sleeping on the roof to go back to the room I'm supposed to be in.

Ray-chan is one of the only people in the school who know where I'm hiding aside from my entire class. I'm surprised things were able to be held secret for this long, I thought I was gonna have to coop up in my room all alone but thankfully that isn't the case.

"Anyway, has anything happened with the terrorist attack?"

"Terrorist...attack? What are you talking about Daichin?"

"Huh? Wait....sorry I must have dreamed about something like that, my bad!"

Yeah what was I talking about? Terrorist attacks on a ship like this would never happen, well maybe not never but there's a low chance of it ever happening.

We continue to walk and talk before finally reaching the rooftop. Everything just where I left them. The soda and water bottles for drinking, instant noodles as food, sleeping bag and an entire bag of clothes. For some reason I had a feeling more would be up here but maybe that's just my imagination acting up.

"So whaddya wanna do up here? I was planning on playing some games like Monster Buster, I brought gaming console with me!"

"Monster Buster? Not bad m'lady, not bad at all! Hang on let me find my console and I'll be joining you in the lobby."

Ray-chan waddles off to the side as I begin to dig through my bag for my gaming console. These gaming console are basically made to play any game in them as far as I know, even a mostly PC game like Monster Buster could be played on a small portable console like this.

While I'm digging through my bag, I feel something slightly out of place and decide to take it out because of my curiosity. What comes out, confuses me even further.

"A....rose petal?" Not only that it's ridiculously good smelling. Almost too good to the point it would overpower any type of perfume.

What confused me wasn't the fact there's a rose petal that smelled incredibly good in my bag, but instead it was how...fake it felt. For a second I was sure this rose petal was about to go through my hand if I held it for too long.

I just assume it's some prank made by Soranyan or someone like that before shoving it back down my bag to replace it with the gaming console I've been searching for.

"Alright Ray-chan, let's see if you still got the skills when it comes to gaming."

"Hehehehe....you don't know who you're talking to, I'll make sure to give it 150%!"