Vol 3 Chapter 1.2

The boundaries of 'good' and 'evil'

Episode 0; Akasuki Masaki

As we get off the ship, chatting amiably with one another, our homeroom teacher greets us with some harsh words. Ones I wouldn't expect to be greeted with right when I arrive onto the beach.

"I will now start the roll call for class-D. Once you've heard your name, please respond loud and clear while I list off your name."

Our homeroom teacher, Chabashira-sensei, starts to take our attendance with her clipboard in hand while simultaneously instructing us to form a line. She's wearing the same jersey as the students which isn't quite surprising as her teacher outfit isn't fit for the beach, especially since she typically wears high heels with her usual outfit.

This atmosphere reminds me more of some sort of training camp rather than summer vacation. Not many students seem be tensed, it's foolish to think that we're here just to have 'fun' now. If you payed attention, we wouldn't be called out here to the beach when everything we need for this summer vacation is on the cruise ship, something fishy is going on.

"Oh come on! I want my free time already! The sea is just a few steps away!" Ike mutters while I'm standing right behind him. Out of instinct I pinch his side to which he lets out a quiet shriek.

"Be quiet, will you? If you think we're here to have fun, then I'm sure you're far from the truth." He nods quietly, yet nervously in my direction as a reply.

Most of the students in my class want to run off into the beach as quickly as possible, but after hearing my thoughts on the matter they quiet down immediately and start thinking for once.

Just when I begin to recollect my thoughts, a tall teacher steps onto a prepared white platform. It's Mashima-sensei of class-A, I believe I've heard of his name before from Soranyan as he's her homeroom teacher. From my understanding, he's teaches English and is quite well-known for his stubborn disposition.

At first, I thought he was some sort of bodybuilder since his body looks like that of a professional wrestler, but he's actually pretty intelligent. He even taught special courses in the past from what I heard.

"First, I would like to say that I’m happy you’ve arrived safely. However, it’s unfortunate that one of you was unable to participate due to a certain illness." That's too bad, I wonder who this person is.

This isn't some dinky field trip, it's a trip to an uninhabited island somewhere in the middle of the ocean. It's be bad if the person with this illness were to get injured because of something their body can't do anything about. The teachers' grim facial expressions tell me that this student's body isn't fit for physical activities, I'm sure they may regret not coming even for a peek but it's something they can't do anything about. It's sad, really.

While Mashima-sensei was surveying the students in silence, I've just now noticed that adults in uniforms are setting up a special tent nearby. Not only that, there's also a computer and other such special equipment on a long table. This business-like setup doesn't quite fit the natural splendor around us at all, guess my hypothesis was correct.

"Sensei! We aren't here to have fun, are we?" I raise my hand and begin to speak. Everyone including teachers and students from other classes look at me with a perplexed expression until Mashima-sensei finally speaks up.

"You are correct, Sugihara Daisuke of class-C. We are about to commence the current academic year's first special test."

"Fantastic work, Sugihara-sama."

My neighbor, Masaki, congratulates me for getting the gist of everything in a matter of minutes as I nod my head. I'm sure most people thought this was some run of the mill class trip, but just like in a game they were attacked from behind when they're guards were at their lowest.