Vol 3 Chapter 2.3

Crackling opportunities

Episode 0; Akasuki Masaki

".........."

"Sugihara-sama.....? Are you here?"

I can hear her voice despite the noise of the cicadas hiding somewhere in the trees. However I don't turn towards her, my gaze is fixed on a bird that's rested on my hand.

"Sugihara-sama....are you alright?"

"I'd love to say I am, I'd be lying if I was though." Pathetically enough- I'm more than down in the dumps after what happened this afternoon.

I haven't talked nor interacted with any of my classmates since my snapping at them, I should never have down something so childish in the first place. I had not place in a class like this, that's what I'm thinking right now while staring at the bird as it stares back at me.

I was always more of a fan of nature than humans, I couldn't care less if a human were to die in front of me but if it were an animal, that image would likely be stained in my mind for an eternity. I have a strangely impressive memory, too impressive almost to the point I've started to doubt my past memories now.

What really did happen, what never happened, I can distinguish between the two anymore. Was I really a rich kid? My memory tells me so, but some unknown force is driving me to disbelief. What happened? Why can't I think straight anymore like I used to? Was I always thinking like this?

There's so many questions in my head, I want someone to talk with but my body won't let me. They wouldn't understand, they wouldn't understand how I feel because they don't see the world in the way I do.

This is your life, you should do whatever you want with it. I'm telling you this because we're friends.

Another flashback....I've been having these a lot lately. Each time I get one, a sharp pain surges through my head as if I'm being stabbed with a hot needle. The voice of someone I have no recognition with, if I don't recognize that voice then why am I having a flashback of it? My head pains the more I think about it.

"Do you....need someone to talk to?"

".....Yes....please." My voice has become weak, my throat is incredibly dry so much it hurts when I try to speak.

There's no throat medicine on an island like this, all I have is warm water to help me recover which works significantly less compared to the medicine. Nonetheless, Masaki hands me a bottle fill with warm water likely boiled for my case.

"I'm sorry for snapping at you guys.... I felt a little angry, that's all." Although the pain is almost unbearable, I power through with that sentence before taking a huge portion of the water down my throat.

"It's fine, you conveyed your feelings and they're trying their best to make amends by doing all the work they can."

The moment she stops talking, silence befalls between us. We're sat so close we can practically feel eachother's breath, but there's no noise aside from the sound of the wind and the noise of random animals.

We stare at the bird on my hand. A lidth's jay, that's the species of this bird I believe. The moment Masaki holds out her hand, the bird hops from my hand to hers in an instant before jumping back to mine.

In this pitch black world, the weak prey on the strong yet the strong get prey on by the even stronger. It's not pitch black if you look at it that way, it's more of a dark grey. The darkness of the grey represents the corruption that society is going through, either that or it's the unchanging effect of a different kind of erosion.

".....The moon is beautiful, isn't it Sugihara-sama?"

"Yeah, a full moon in this time of year after I blew a fuse. It's pretty convenient." The ice has been broken, but not by me.

I want to move my lips to speak more, but I can't. I'm scared to, I'm scared to open my mouth and talk to continue this conversation. This is pathetic..... pathetically depressing, I shouldn't get all worked up over nothing yet I feel like crying for no reason.

"Have you ever wondered.....if you were meant to exist?"

"......" What does that mean? Nevermind, I can't answer anyway. I should just go through the trouble of her telling me whatever she wants. It's a nice change of pace.

"If you ever meant for this world, and if you're doing all you can to live?"

Masaki turns to me as I stare at the moon, not wanting to turn my gaze for even a moment. I can feel the lidth's jay hop onto my shoulder and starts to stare off into the moon as well, I feel connected with these creatures for some reason....J feel a sense of peace.

"I'm sorry I couldn't do anymore as your assistant."

"N-no....please stop....." I don't want to hear this, you've done a wonderful job Masaki.... there's nothing to be sorry about. Why do I feel like crying over sappy shit like this?!

"I couldn't do more for you when you're in these depressed moments. I feel guilty for ever sad moment you have, I could always do something yet I wait for your word."

I feel tears forming at the side of my eyes. Despite my protests, she holds me close to her chest and holds me there while lying the lidth's jay on my head which surprisingly comforts me more.

I can't hear such words, these words hurt my very soul. I've made myself clear many times to her, she's the greatest person- no, greatest girl a man could ever ask for. I wished a better future for her above all else even though I don't remember my past very well anymore.

"You don't have to cry anymore, I'm here for you as long as I live. There's nothing you should cry about when I'm here for you, you won't feel lonely while I'm here. I'm here to understand your feelings and support you with all of my heart, thlse were my first words and yet I have not gone back on you."

"Please....stop....it hurts......"

"Sugihara-sama, I love you. I've always loved you." These were the words I wanted to hear, yet they sting like a thousand needles piercing through my heart.

Her sakura pink hair blowing through the wind is swaying about as she holds me close. A confession such as this, I hate it.....I hate how I'm the one on the receiving end, stupid body.... can't move and shit.....

"A-about time you've....realized that...." I finally give into my tears as they begin to run down my face. Tears if happiness rather than sorrow, happy as in I finally have someone who understands me.

No- this person has always been at my side. I want to stay like this forever, I want to stay with her forever..... I don't want to let go, I don't want her to disappear.......

I-I-.....

Don't want to feel this pain anymore....