Vol 1 Chapter 8.1

Midterm

Today is now Thursday, the day before the midterm. Once Chabashira-sensei left the classroom, Kushida immediately stood up and to take a few pieces of paper out from her drawer.

She seems to have a wonderful experience today, as always. It's hard to think someone like her could ever feel down or angry in my eyes. Aside from the anonymous aura I feel from her, she's your average popular girl in your class. However it's because of that aura that I'm still slightly wary of her, something just doesn't sit right whenever I look at her straight in the face.

That smile, it's almost as if it's forced. Of course this could just be my imagination but I can spot a liar when I see one, and something tells me this girl has lied to everyone since the first day of school. After all this class is reserved for those of us who have defects, if she's so amazing and perfect then why is she placed in this class in the first place?

There's nothing wrong with her grades as far as I know, her physical abilities aren't that bad either and she has a nice personality to boot! Something doesn't sit right, if anything she should be placed in at least class-B but instead she's in a class full of defects.

We know this class is reserved for defects but it's not specifically clear. Is it defects from the past, or the present? Someone could have easily done something in the past that the school knows, this likely results in their placement. I wonder if Kushida did something to get her placed in class-D, if so it must have been quite serious.

Whatever it is, I'll worry about it later. In the meantime, I want to know what got her all excited for.

"Sorry, but can you guys listen to me before going home or to clubs? This is something very important.”

Nowadays people are always patient before going home or to clubs, mainly because I often have something important to discuss after classes. Normally I would even send texts to the club presidents telling them a certain someone will be slightly late.

Even Sudou typically stops before heading out until I give him the signal. He tends to listen attentively which is good, at this rate he'll pass the end of year exam no problem!

I feel like a proud father in a way. However I cannot lower my guard just yet, you never know when he'll start being dumb again.

“I hope everyone has been studying a lot for tomorrow’s test. I have something that can help for some final studying tonight. I’ll hand them out now." She hands out what seems to be question sheets to everyone in the classroom.

"These are...test questions? Did you make these yourself, Kushida?" I scan through the paper with curious eyes.

"Actually, these are old test problems. I got them from a third-year senpai last night."

Really now? That's nice and all but how will this help us? This reminds me about my own personal test I gave them earlier. To summarize how they did...well better than expected, way better actually.

Sudou and those perverts actually managed to obtain a score of 40 to 50, and judging the fact Sudou used to only get like what, 14? That's already a huge improvement, I could say he has an amazing memory actually.

"Old test problems? Eh, eh? Are these actual valid questions?"

"Yea. Two years ago, the midterm had nearly the same questions as the one on this problem set. So, if you practice, I think we’ll do better."

"Woah! Seriously? Kushida-chan, thank you!"

Although we don't necessarily need this, we might get extra class points for getting loads of high scores thanks to Kushida. However I can't help but feel like this is cheating, no it IS cheating!

Is this the right thing to do here? I hate cheating but rules are made to be broken, if that senpai she mentioned gave it so willingly, it must be within school rules. So in a way this is more like exploit abuse, I don't have much against that since it's the school that didn't fix it.

"Huh, well this doesn't mean our studying will go completely to waste."

"What do you mean, Sugihara-kun?" Mii-chan turns to mean to say that.

"Well think about it, how many times are we gonna have the chance to do something like this? I trust this is within school rules however it's only a matter of time before this stops working and we won't be able to get past test results and use them in exams anymore." My real concern is what will happen for the future if my fear of this is the result.

W

hatever, I'll cross that bridge once I get there. Now my only real concern should be...

"Horikita! I want to speak with you about something, and the rest of you better stay out. What I'm about to say here is dead-ass important."

My shout startled everyone, even Ike who was about to celebrate obtaining these cheat papers started to shrink back into his seat. How can one man be so pathetic? I didn't think I would give him this much trauma, this is definitely a case of Daisukephobia.

"Yes? What do you need me for, Sugihara-kun?"

"Remember the bet we made the other day?" I stand up and walk to the teacher's podium with a wide grin on my face.

I can sense everyone's confusion except for Horikita's. She's currently trying to stop me but really is this something I shouldn't address?

Besides at the moment she wants to retract the bet, I'll have witnesses joining hands with me in persuading her. Sure that may be cruel and unnecessary but frankly I don't give a fuck, if anything I just want some entertainment. Addressing this bet to the class is funny no? No? Alright fine but it is in my heart.

"What is it you want to talk about Sugihara?" Hirata asks me after awhile of us not talking.

"Glad you asked dear Hirata, myself and Horikita made a bet around sometime this month. A bet of whoever scores higher in tomorrow's exam would be the other's master for as long as this year's graduation!"

As I spoke that out loud, I hear what seems to be whispers among the class especially with the girls. All the while Horikita has cold sweat running down her neck right now, as for Ayanokouji...well he seems pretty interested if anything. Either that or he wants to know where I got my lunch from.

"Ok, but why tell us about this? Surely you'd want to keep this to yourselves right?"

"Good question that I do not have the answer to. Though if I had to give my answer...well it's for the witnesses, I doubt Horikita is that kind of person but she might not hold her end of the bargain so I have you all to act as witnesses." My grin grew wider as I cast my eyes onto the class in front of me before leaving the class with a shrug.

I left them with something to think about and I don't think I'll need those test answers. I've already won before the battle began- hell I've helped this class win the war no sweat!

No I need to have a little chat with a certain someone, to thank them in a way. I would never have made it this far without them.