Vol 3 Prologue

Akasuki Masaki's moments

Have you ever wondered how much time you have left until you move on? Sugihara-sama always educated me on such subjects incidentally whether I want to or not.

Sugihara-sama is someone who will help the needed whenever he can, but he knows when to stop if it interferes with his personal plans. He can be rather selfish despite being recognized as a selfless person, I should know as his personal assistant.

I've always wondered why he does what he does. Doing whatever he wants despite the punishments, educating and making people smile as much as possible when he doesn't have to, don't you think it's strange? Someone who calimed to hate humanity is helping us humans, I couldn't understand why.

One day he recommended me a certain tale, 'The Wings Of Icarus'.

Long ago, in ancient Greece, there lived a great inventor named Daedalus. Daedalus was ordered by King Minos to
build a great labyrinth in which to imprison the monstrous Minotaur.
However, King Minos soon abandoned Daedalus, confining the inventor to a
tower alongside his son, Icarus. In order to escape their prison, Daedalus gathered together the feathers of many birds in order to fashion a large pair of wings. He connected the larger feathers with thread, and the smaller with wax. Once the wings were completed and the time had come to fly to freedom, Daedalus gave Icarus a warning.

He said, “If you fly too high, the sun will melt the wax holding the wings together. Be careful.” With that warning in mind, Icarus leapt from the tower alongside his father. Together, they gained their freedom. But freedom can be a dangerous thing, and can make a person lose sight of himself. With such boundless freedom before him, Icarus started to get carried away. Perhaps it was inevitable after breaking free from such painful restraints.

Icarus, blissful, forgot his father’s warning and flew higher and higher.
The sun burned the false angel wings that his father had constructed, and in
the blink of an eye, the wax melted. Eventually, the false wings were
completely burned away. Icarus fell into the sea and died. Was Icarus a brave
young man who jumped into the sky to gain his freedom? Or was he an
arrogant fool who overestimated his abilities and believed that he could reach the sun? Perhaps no one save for his father, Daedalus, will ever know the
answer to that.

Why am I summarizing the story?  I believe it's a warning, Sugihara-sama never does something without there being a reason.

I've stayed by his side for so long, reaching out while he took my hand in a swift motion. A kind soul as it were. However he does this for a reason, he's afraid.

I'm not exactly sure what he is afraid of but I'm positive it isn't death itself, but rather what entails for him after death. Just by looking at his expression, you can definitely tell when exactly he is having dark thoughts, sometimes you could even guess based off his slight change in expression alone.

Sugihara-sama isn't afraid of the concept of death itself, but he doesn't want to know what happens after a certain person dies. His body stiffens at the thought, he may not realize it himself but his past isn't all sunshine and rainbows as he says.

The story of Icarus is similar to what Sugihara-sama is going through, except his life could end any second now. I believe this is the reason he constantly does whatever he believes he is allowed to without restraint...

My life before I met Sugihara-sama, I remember it being very difficult to help daddy and mommy with different tasks throughout the house. Was the Akasuki household always one to serve the Sugihara family? Not exactly, though he would deny it out of fun.

That unchanging smile on his face even during the harshest of times, almost like he's in his own realm of euthymia. Always so happy because he knows he could die any second, one miss step could mean his death and he understands that clearly.

"A downside to being intelligent as hell is being afraid of what you don't understand. Humans want to learn out of curiosity, but in my case I'd rather stay away from the problem if I don't have an idea of how to solve it." He said that to me on our first meeting.

I was born into a poor family back then, daddy and mommy were always so busy with work, yet we were still poorer than poor. A single onigiri could fill our stomachs for a whole week if we wanted to save money the hard way, a hard life indeed.

Then I met him, Sugihara Daisuke. A boy about the same age as me visited my house with a curious face.

"Huh, didn't think people still lived in this house. So who're you?" His voice was much fiercer back then, a glare imprinted onto his face as he talked to my father. Despite being smaller it was almost as if he was staring down on daddy, I was scared of him...

Once we I introduced ourselves as part of the Akasuki household, Sugihara-sama took some time to think before saying these words.

"The Akasuki household huh? Come on, I'm sure mom and dad will be glad if I bring you three in. Don't think anything big of it or I'll bust your skills with my iron fist!"

I couldn't express my happiness, for once in my life someone came to save me. What's more it was the boy who I would stay with for the rest of my life, the one I would serve without any words. I serve him because I want him to be happy, he may not remember his own words but they touched me.

"Don't let anyone say what's right or wrong. 'You're good, you're evil' does that statement really matter when you only have one life? One guy once said 'You only have one life, but if you do it right, one is all you need'. Why should you let others control you when this is your life?"

Mere words alone have power, his were powerful indeed. You could tell he's been through so much.....but what has been going on with him?

He's been having these delusional events in his mind, his family is quite rich but his father and mother never introduced me to him first, in fact he found me himself.

Is it some health condition that just had effect recently? Some form of memory lost perhaps, whatever it is it's shifting his perspective slightly and that may prove to be dangerous. He distances himself from everyone when the going gets tough because he knows no one else can handle his pain.

The weak get preyed on by the strong, and the stronger get preyed on by the even stronger. Is that 'justice' or 'evil'?

How is being good or bad related to being a criminal? What is the point of fighting for justice when you lack the strength to save yourself?

Sugihara-sama doesn't want to hurt anyone anymore, he's lost enough. When he's all sweet and cold like this....

Sugihara-sama....

You're like an ice-cream that never melts....