009

Both you and Manijirō were the only ones left standing as all 15 or more high schoolers laid on the ground, all beaten up. The bleached blonde boy looked at your panting, slightly bloodied figure as he started, "I.... I didn't know you could bust moves like that, [Male Name]...." He expected you to not reply, knowing how you were.

But to his surprise, you shot him a lazy grin, "I was really tired today, and I sure as hell didn't need any extras ruining my day...." Manjirō blinked in surprise before letting out a loud laugh at your statement, guilt finally starting to eat him up as he remembered all the times he mistreated you.

"Why?" You muttered, wiping the blood with the sleeve of your shirt, making him furrow his eyebrows, "Huh? What do you mean?" He asked, not understanding your single worded question.

"Why did you help me? Don't you hate me?" Your eyes stared right into his soul, making his guilt double. His breathing hitched as he found it hard to breath at your next question, "More importantly, why DO you hate me?!" Your voice cracked at the end, making him flinch.

"I.... I don't know...." He whispered looking down, shame evident on his face. It was embarrassing for him to admit the real reason, "So you're telling me..... that you bullied me for no reason?!" His eyes widened at your words, raising and shaking his head to defend himself but no words came out, "I-I... I didn't bul-"

"Then what were all those words for?! Calling me a waste of time, calling me a creep, calling me pathetic!! Was it all a joke to you?!" Your words came out raw, tears starting to form at the edge of your eyes, "Did you ever put yourself in my shoes when you called me that?! I didn't mind the punches or the kicks, but why would you call me all that?! What's the explanation for that?!?"

He couldn't speak. He didn't have any words for your questions, "I..... always hated your smile.... " Tears that threatened to spill from your eyes, slid down your cheeks one by one as you looked at him in confusion, "That damn smile of yours...... no matter how hard I tried, I could never smile like you....."

His words just continued to confuse you, "Why were you able to smile like that?!? L-Like nothing ever bothered you!! Whenever I tried to smile, I never looked as happy as you, even in my most happiest moments!!!" It was his turn to cry, as he looked down, pouring his heart out.

"Even when you were just watching me and Baji play, you smiled like you were having the best moment of your life!! I envied you so much!!! How were you so happy?! Why is your life so perfect?!" He sobbed out, fervently wiping his tears but failing miserably.

His whole form shook from the magnitude of his sobs, but suddenly he felt a warm pair of arms wrap around his frame, making him feel secure, "You can never appreciate happiness until you've experienced sadness, Manjirō... I was so happy when I watched you guys play, because I felt like I was a part of you guys.... I felt like I had a family... so in a way, watching you guys was one of the best moments of my life...."

He continued to cry, mumbling out apologies like a mantra. You just looked at him calmly, wiping some of his tears with your sleeves. It wasn't until it was sunset that you realised that you had to go home. You pulled away from the crying boy, making him look up to see you smiling.

You always wore that gentle smile, "Thanks for helping me out today..... I would have been really hurt if you hadn't stepped in... " His eyes widened when but he nodded, wiping the stray tears on his hoodie, "Lemme walk you back, you're hurt... "

You shook your head, "I'll be fine, you should go and clean up, there's blood on your pants..." He quietly nodded, both of you getting up and dusting your clothes. He looked at you one more time and raised his hand hesitantly, "S-See ya, [Male Name]!!" His voice was an octave higher, indicating his embarrassment.

You nodded back, and started walking away, though not before picking up your bag. Mikey kept on staring at your retreating figure, scared of the tomorrow to come, 'I hope..... he can forgive me....'

The next day at school, you were bombarded by questions from Yuki at the entrance. And when you told her about fighting against high schoolers, she had a mental breakdown, freaking out at your stupid bravery.

When you mentioned Manjirō helping you, she immediately called him an impostor and practically begged that you punch him in the face today, but you politely declined, valuing your life quite a lot.

Later when you were in class at your seat, you saw Hanemiya enter the class. You waved at him in greeting, but his breathing hitched at your figure.

Did someone hurt you?!? Does he need to kill someone because he will gladly do it if it's for you!! He ran over to you and grabbed your shoulders tightly, "[Last Name]-kun, who hurt you?!" His aura was scary and your heart almost stopped at his threat, "N-No!! It's nothing, Hanemiya-kun!! I already fought them and they won't bother me again!!" You tried to calm him down.

To your relief, he let out a soft sigh as he placed his bag on his desk and plopped himself on the chair, "I know you can take care of yourself, but if someone bothers you, tell me..... I'll make sure that they won't bother you ever again!!" He declared, a crazy look in his eyes, "I just don't want my first friend to get hurt..." He later added on, making you smile softly at him.

"You're the new student here, Hanemiya-kun... I should be saying that to you!!" Your grin melted his heart as a blush took over his cheeks that he desperately tried to hide, you couldn't help but chuckle at his cute form.

Yeah, you're life seems a lot better than it was a few months ago, and you wouldn't have it any other way.

To all those who are confused by Mikey's words, I would like to explain:

When Mikey says that he's envious of [Male Name]'s smile, it represents that he's envious of his life. He already thinks that [Male Name] is living a perfect life, since she still has her parents alive, and since she's liked by everyone, his brother, his sister, his friend and even his grandfather, so Mikey feels a sense of inferiority.

I know Mikey is not portrayed as a brat in the Manga, but I decided to portray Mikey as a normal child who is greedy and competitive, and doesn't like people who seem to be better or living a better life than him. That is all.