030

1996

Click...

Click...

Click...

The clicking of his pen was the only sound in his room, his father having left for work a while ago. [Brother Name] huffed a sigh as he wrote down the correct answer, and turned the page to look at the next problem.

Q7. [Name] has 18 apples-

'[Name]?' The young boy stopped solving the problem and just gazed at the words written in front of him. His face scrunched up as he shook his head, "Stupid maths... solve your damn problems yourself..."

He slammed the book shut and plopped on his bed headfirst. The boy turned his head slightly to look at the photo frame resting on his bedside table, holding it carefully and bringing it closer to him.

"It's been two years... since I last you, egghead..." He grit his teeth and placed a finger on the glass to trail your face as flashbacks of 1994 came rushing in.

A young [Brother Name] stood quietly on top of the stairs as he heard his father breakdown in front of his uncle, "It's all my fault!! If I hadn't filed that divorce then [Name] would have been here with me and [Brother Name]!! I wanted to keep her safe but I only threw her in that monster's grasp!!"

Osamu tried to calm his older brother down, but it was no use, "[Mother Name] is her own mother, she would never hurt her!!" But [Father Name] kept crying, "You don't get it, Osamu!! She loathes my [Name]!! And she will do anything to hurt her!!"

He continued to cry out, unaware that his older child was listening, eyes wide but not making a single expression. He didn't know that yesterday at the court was the last time he'd see his precious sister.

He remembered how when his parents first announced that he was going to be an older brother, he was ecstatic. He would stay up all night and imagine how he would take care of his younger sibling, run around the house and play whatever they would want to play.

But then one day his mother went for another check-up and later that night, both of his parents had their first huge fight. It scared him, but he figured that if his parents ever fought like this in front of his little sibling, then he'd need to be brave.

So he tried to man up and not hide under his covers. But then he heard what his mother kept on repeating.

"I DON'T WANT A DAUGHTER, I WANT A FUCKING ABORTION!!"

The boy let go of his blocks and felt tears pricking in his eyes. Did his mother not want a daughter?! Did she hate his unborn sister?!

His hands shook as he heard his father yell back, trying to reason with his mother but it was no use as she just stormed out in anger.

He walked out of his room and watched as his father followed after her, instructing [Brother Name] to lock the doors and not to open the door for a stranger.

His memories of that time were hazy, as he pulled himself out of his thoughts and watched his father cry down the stairs with his uncle. The next thing he knew.... he was crying too...

The boy didn't know why his little sister always had to suffer. But he realised that, as an older brother, he had failed. He tried to fervently wipe his tears but they kept on falling down like a waterfall.

————

An annoyed growl left the boy's lips as he remembered the bad memories, grabbing his jacket and walking out the door to get some fresh air.

Fresh Air... that was what he always said to anyone who asked, but everyone knew that he would run off to try to find his precious little sister.

His feet carried him to an unknown area, his teeth chattering due to the cold. He walked around the place, eyes darting everywhere to make sure that his sister wasn't there.

He didn't even realise that he had reached a park and out of exhaustion, he sat down at a nearby bench. He closed his eyes and huffed, smoke forming from his breathe. The cold bench didn't bother him after a while but with his eyes closed, he failed to notice a figure standing near him, watching him in surprise.

"What are you doing here?" A boy a bit younger than him spoke up, his blonde hair with brown tips shining in the street lights.

[Brother Name] cracked one eye open and looked at him, "Nothing... just managed to wander off here..." The boy looked at him curiously, a smile now playing on his lips, "Hey, I'm bored so let's talk!!"

The older boy was surprised by his outgoingness but was quickly reminded of his sister, smiling unconsciously, "Sure, I'm [Brother Name], by the way..."

The other boy grinned and pointed to himself, "I'm Ran!!" He then began telling the older boy all about himself and about his annoying younger brother, from who he would often steal food. [Brother Name] kept listening with a smile, nodding and chiming in every few minutes to let the other boy know that he was indeed listening.

The younger boy was fun to be around, and the [Hair Colour] haired male found himself getting used to his energetic babbles, "What were you doing out so late, [Brother Name]-kun?!"

The said boy smiled slightly before looking forward, "I was searching.... for someone very important to me..." Ran tilted his head in confusion as his hair swayed with him, "Searching for who?! I know this place so I can help you if you want!!"

[Brother Name] placed a hand on Ran's head and ruffled his dual coloured hair, "I was searching for my sister... it's been 2 years since I've last seen her, I'm not even sure if she's even alive or...." He stopped and took a huge gulp of air, hesitantly saying the next words, "-dead."

He then proceeded to explain the entire story, about how his mother hated you because of your gender. And how she abused you which caused your father to file for a divorce, but that only backfired since you were too young to be taken away from your mother. Ever since that day, your mother forbid anyone from your father's side to meet you.

The dual haired boy looked at him and pat his shoulder, "I can't say for sure if she's okay... but maybe you can tell me her name?! I have some connections, I'll try to find her!!" He suggested as the older boy looked at him in surprise.

His surprised face contoured into a soft smile as he let out a small chuckle, "If that's the case, then please do help me, Ran-kun... My sister, her name is [Last Name][Name]..." The boy confirmed as Ran shot up from his seat with a determined expression.

"I promise I'll help you find her, I'll even ask my little brother for help!!" The [Eye Colour] eyed boy smiled gratefully at him and nodded softly.

"I'll be counting on your help, Ran-kun..."

————

After that day, Ran often updated [Brother Name] about any sort of lead he would find. He even introduced him to his younger brother, Rindoū and the older boy became like a brother to the both of them.

If they ever had a problem, they would come over to him and ask for advice. It didn't take long for [Brother Name] to introduce his two friends to his father, and the older [Last Name] was extremely grateful to the brothers for their help.

[Brother Name] was not gonna give up on you. He would go against the entire world if it meant a safer future for you. His glare hardened as he looked at the most recent clue Ran found, a picture of someone that looked eerily similar to you sitting in a park in Kabukichoū with a blonde haired boy.

'Just you wait, little sister... Big Brother will save you no matter what...'