Picking up Pyro

Leorio's p.o.v.

"Our first kid. Are you ready?" Leorio asked. He knew Kurapika had been nervous about adopting Pyro. He'd been picking at his nails and lips for a few weeks. Kurapika shook his head, which didn't surprise Leorio.

Kurapika grabbed Leorio's hand as they stepped towards the house. It was a gothic style. Leorio didn't like it, but it made Mr Y happy, so it was fine.

Leorio knocked on the door.

"Ah, Leorio and Kurapika, come in!" A woman with long curly brown hair greeted. She also had a thick French accent. She was wearing a maroon top with black skinny jeans.

"Hello, Christine," Kurapika greeted, stepping inside. Leorio followed and took his shoes off. He placed his shoes next to Kurapika's.

"Pyro is in the family room. He's nervous about meeting you, but he's excited about finally getting adopted after 14 years of being in the system," Christine explained.

"I can imagine," Leorio responded. He was in the system until he turned 18, then he was kicked out for being the adult legal age. He was excited to meet Pyro, but that was probably the extrovert in him. He always enjoyed meeting new people. That's what he loved about being a doctor. He hoped his patients were okay.

"Leo, do you think this is a good idea?" Kurapika whispered.

"Of course I do, the kid'll be happy to have a forever home," Leorio whispered back, patting Kurapika's shoulder. He could tell that Kurapika was getting cold feet.

"Right this way," Christine said. Leorio and Kurapika followed her to a room with three couches, each a different colour, a widescreen TV and two people sitting on the middle couch, which was a maroon colour.

One of the people was wearing a brown vest with a bronze tie and maroon dress pants. He was sitting next to a nervous-looking kid who had an emo swoop with a side shave and thick black glasses. The kid was wearing a plain black circle skirt that had suspenders and a red and black horizontal striped shirt. This kid had drooped shoulders and was talking to the other kid in a hushed tone.

They were holding hands.

"Gustave, Pyro," Christine said, clearing her throat. The two kids looked up and smiled. The one in the skirt had a nervous smile plastered onto their face. Was the nervous one Pyro? It would make sense. Getting taken into a new house and barely knowing people was nerve-wracking. Pyro waved at Kurapika, who waved back.

"N-nice to see you again, Kurapika. Is is that Leorio?" Pyro stuttered, his face flushing. He seemed to be embarrassed about his stutter. Leorio didn't mind it, he has had patients who have stutters. It wasn't common for Leorio to come across these patients, but he still came across them nonetheless.

"Nice to see you again too. And yes, this is my husband, Leorio," Kurapika responded. Pyro seemed to somewhat relax, which Leorio found odd.

"He-hello," Pyro stuttered again, waving at Leorio. Leorio waved back. He put on a friendly smile in hopes to help ease Pyro's nerves.

Pyro randomly shook his head and mumbled something. Maybe it was a tic? Leorio almost frowned. He wanted to ask what was going on, but that probably would've freaked the kid out, so he didn't say anything.

"Pyro, if you don't mind me asking, what are your pronouns?" Leorio asked. Even though the kid had a feminine appearance and an androgynous voice, he still wanted to make sure he didn't misgender the kid.

"He and him!" Pyro excitedly said, clapping. Leorio just noticed his nails were painted black. Leorio looked down at his nails, which had chipped black nail polish on them. Maybe he could have the kid paint his nails as a bonding activity.

"Well, Pyro, are you ready to go?" Christine asked?

"Can I say goodbye first?" Pyro asked. Christine nodded.

"We'll be waiting by the door," Kurapika called as Pyro was hugging the boy next to him. Kurapika lead Leorio to the front door, where a man was wearing a white mask that covered half of his face.

"Ah, you must be Mr Y," Leorio said, extending a hand for him to shake.

"Please, call me Erik," Erik said, shaking Leorio's hand. He also had a thick French accent.

"Is this Pyro's stuff?" Kurapika asked, gesturing at the suitcases.

"Yes. He also wants his bed with him, so in a few days, you'll have to assemble his bed. I hope you don't mind," Erik explained.

"Anything to help Pyro settle in easier," Leorio responded. Erik nodded.

"Anyways, I'll be helping to load Pyro's stuff into your car. He has a few weighted items, so his suitcases are a bit heavy. He's excited about being adopted, but he's also scared when it comes to meeting new people, so please give him space and he'll open up," Erik said. Leorio nodded.

Just then, Pyro appeared behind Erik and said something in French to him. Erik responded in French and Pyro seemed to relax a bit.

After packing everything and Pyro said his final goodbyes, Leorio, Kurapika and Pyro were driving to their place. Leorio smiled. He was excited to have a kid to call his own. Erik had told Leorio a few tricks to help Pyro warm up to both him and Kurapika a little quicker.

"So, Pyro, I heard you like How to Train Your Dragon, who's your favourite character?" Leorio asked, trying to start a conversation.

"Toothless. Do you like any characters from How to Train Your Dragon?" Pyro asked.

"I think Astrid is pretty cool. What about you, sunshine?" Leorio asked, hoping that his pet name for Kurapika would help Pyro feel more comfortable. Leorio glanced over at Kurapika, who was blushing.

"I really like Hiccup," Kurapika responded, shooting a glare at Leorio. Leorio only winked in response.

"Nice," Pyro responded.

The rest of the car ride was filled with the three of them (mostly Pyro) chatting about what they liked.