Chapter 3

“How long are you here?” he asked me.

“You were born here, got it?!” he yelled at me while tugging my hair. I felt my head burn and knew that he had plucked out the half of my hair. He tugged harder when I didn’t respond.

“I said something! Give me an answer!” he said through his teeth. I knew that if I didn’t answer, I would get the biggest punishment.

“I was born here, here. Nowhere else but here” I whispered. I tasted my blood from where he had beaten me  a few minutes ago.

“I was born here” I said. The guy looked at me weirdly and I felt uncomfortable. When I looked at him, I saw that his nose and lip were bleeding. I touched my own nose and lip and felt like mine did too. I crawled towards the end of the wall and grabbed the little fabric which was there. I put it in the bucket with water to make it wet. The water bucket was the only water I had, and it was not even for drinking. It was for using it after doing my needings. I crawled back towards him and ignored the burning feeling in my knees. The floor was cold but I was used to it. I placed the cloth on his nose and cleaned it. He flinched a bit and I did too. When I cleaned his nose I went over to clean his lip. When my finger touched his face, he pulled back a bit.

“Please don’t touch me” he said. My eyes widened. I closed my eyes for a second and a bad shiver went through my body. I thought about the moments I told him that. The moments I told him not to touch me.

“No, please. I didn’t mean it like that. Hey, look at me” he said. The softness of his voice made me open my eyes.

“Its just.. I am muslim. We believe that a man can never touch a woman he is not married with and otherwise” he said. When he saw my confused look, he sighed. He knew that I didn’t understand a bit about what he told me.

“Just.. forget about it. What am I worrying about when I am kidnapped” he said, whispering the last part.

“Its not something personal, but just don’t touch me” he said softly. His tone was much different than his, so I just went along with it and nodded. I cleaned his lip before crawling back to my place. We didn’t talk after that anymore. It was weird but comfortable. We both were just sitting there like a statue. A statue with no feelings, no people around. Nothing to loose, nothing to get. Nothing to fight for, nothing to survive for. Nothing.

“What does he wants from you? From us?” he said, breaking the silence. I shrugged my shoulders, even though he couldn’t see. It was already dark outside. My head turned towards the little window.

“He owns us. We have to do everything he says” I said.

“No, he does not! Did he make you believe that?! Its not true! Come on, try to remember your life before you were b-“ before he could finish, the door opened. The light hit my face and I closed my eyes. I sighed. It was time.