Chapter 36

Surprise surprise, second update today! Go read 35 if you haven't read it!
BTW, go back to 35 to comment how much you miss Iyaz!

~~~~

"Sweetheart, wake up" I heard for the first time ever. I thought it was a dream. A memory. When someone started shaking me softly, my eyes jumped open and I sat up, thinking that he was here. I wasn't in the hole. I wasn't with Iyaz. Looking around, I tried to make out where I was.

"Calm down, you are safe. Today we need to go to the police office. A long time is going to start. They need to ask a lot of questions and take a lot of tests. I am sorry, since I know it will tire you out. But we will stop when you can't take it anymore, okay?" she said and I nodded, not wanting to make her mad. She helped met out of the bed. For the first time, for the first time I had slept... good. The bed was very soft and I felt clean, something I had never felt before. She put clothes in my hands.

"Here, wear these, then come downstairs so we can eat before we go" she said and I smiled. I was going to have food! I almost jumped because I was so happy. She walked out of the room and I looked at the clothes. It was a shirt that looked like Iyaz's and some pants. I felt a pang in my chest. I wish I had taken one of his shirts. I put the clothes on and it felt weird. It felt like the first day I had clothes back there. Like how he would give me new clothes that would get dirty in a day.

I walked downstairs, towards the kitchen. Savannah was sitting there, drinking something. She put her hand out for me to sit and I did.

"My husband already left for work. So this is bread. You can put jam on it or nutella. I bet you would like nutella more. This is tea. It is hot, so watch out. If you don't like anything, tell me so I can give you something else" she said, while I looked at the plate in front of me. Something red was on the bread and something brown was on another. I looked at the glass that had something green in it. I grabbed the one with the red thing, taking a bite. My eyes widened. This tasted so familiar yet so foreign. It felt like I had this before but I couldn't remember when. I put it down and took a bite from the other. I really wanted to know how that one tasted. It was different, yet less sweet. I grabbed another bite before taking the cup, having a sip. It was okay, but I liked water more.

"So we have gone through the database with your picture, but nothing came. We think that it is because you are now older, or that no one has put you out missing. However, we did find something. Do you know this person?" he said, showing me a paper. It had Iyaz's face on it. I looked at him with wide eyes.

"That.. That is Iyaz" I whispered, not understanding how his face could be there.

"This is a picture, just like the one they took from you yesterday. It is not that he is now in my hands. Its just a picture" he said, making sense. I grabbed it from him, going over his face with my hand. The sudden bad feeling I had was getting worse. I wanted him to be here too.

"His family contacted the police when he didn't come home from school. The police thinks its suicide, but his family said he wouldn't do that. No body was found" he said, which I didn't understand much from.

"Please.. Please take him out of there.. He is hurting" I whispered, letting a tear fall. The thought of Iyaz getting punished for getting me out was haunting me. I didn't want him to get hurt.

"We want to, we really do. But we can only do this if you tell us things. You need to tell everything you went through from the beginning so we could take him out of there" he said but I shook my head.

"I don't.. I don't remember.. I forget everything and sometimes it comes back. I remember the first day Iyaz came there. It was the first person I had seen. He was coughing up blood- after that it is gone, I can't remember. I remember him getting beatings because he didn't want me to get them. He helped me, I helped him. I want him here. I want him now" I said, letting the tears fall. The man just stood up, leaving me alone with the picture. I looked at Iyaz, still going with my hand over his face. I didn't understand why I did that, but I had a feeling to do. At least I knew he wouldn't get angry for touching him.

I heard faint voices from behind me. It was Richard and Savannah.

"What?!  How could you even consider that?!  She is broken- lost. We need to help her" I heard her voice, not soft this time. I grabbed the seat, not wanting to move so she wouldn't get mad.

"We could find so much from investigating her. It could be Genie all over again!" he yelled back. I didn't understand what they were saying, but I was scared, very scared.

"She doesn't remember things. She doesn't know names of objects. You told me she didn't know the color pink. She has grown in isolation. We need to take this opportunity" I heard Richard's voice, this time softer. I relaxed a bit, knowing that he wasn't angry anymore.

"Genie was doing well till all the disgusting people wanted to take advantage of her situation. She got messed up after she was free, since people wanted to treat her like an animal and test everything. The reason she is messed up now is because of us, because of the government!" Savannah said, still being angry.

"Sav, I don't want a fight between us since you are a dear friend of mine. Let's talk about this later" Richard said and I saw him getting into the room.

"Can I.. Can I keep this?" I dared to ask, even though I knew they would get angry, I still wanted to ask. I had finally found something of Iyaz, and I didn't want to give it up.

"Sure" he said, half-smiling at me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
OH GOD
Btw, for the people that don't know, Genie was a girl that was isolated and abused by her father. She didn't know how to talk or walk properly etc. Its very interesting to see her videos and read her story. I came to know about her because of my major. I am studying speech and language therapy so she is a big thing by us.