Chapter 17

Chapter 17

He did as I said and took the gun away. He looked me in the eyes before walking over towards me. His long legs that were nearing me made my head dizzy. It was as if they were stepping on my flesh with nails under it.

"Actually, I am going to enjoy today. Sucks to be you muslim-boy" I heard his voice, making me throw up the dirty water I had drunk of today..

"How are you still so strong.." I heard from beside me. I looked over and saw Iyaz sitting in the corner, with blood all around him, making him almost unrecognizable.

"What do you mean?" I whispered towards him, knowing that I had lost my voice because of screaming. He then started to cry, putting his head on his arm. I tried to get up, but it wasn't working.

"There is a thin rope between surviving and dying. I am walking on the rope, trying not to fall down- towards dying" I whispered to him, without even realizing what I had said. He started laughing hysterically.

"When I first came here, you didn't even know what bread was!" He said while laughing. After a while his laughs turned into hiccups and he started to cry again.

"I want to go home" he whispered, for only me to hear. I thought of home.

"What is home now?" I asked him for the second time since we were here.

"I miss my mother. She would be so sad right now. Or dad. He would search for me everywhere. My friends. Even my boss would be missing me right now" he said, looking up at the ceiling, which he did a lot.

"Ya Allah, make me as strong as she is and please don't let us fall of the rope. I don't think I could bear that. Please give me strength and teach me how to pray in this hole, where I can't even see anything so well. Just- just take us out of here, please.." he started whispering while holding his hands like a bowl in the sky. I was looking at what he was doing and it looked so peaceful that I opened my hands like he did, still looking at him. I immediately felt something inside of me change for the better. I felt something boiling, like it was heating me up. I looked at Iyaz, who looked at me with big eyes.

"I can promise you that everything will be better once we get out of here. I promise to get you out of this hole" he was saying, saying things that he had said over and over again..