Chapter 59

Chapter 59

I awoke in a bed that I hadn't known. I looked around, remembering that I was at Iyaz's house. I let out a breath, ignoring the nightmares that I had. I knew they would come today again, but I wasn't letting them now. I get off the bed, seeing that I already had clothes on. I walked outside the door and waited in front of it. I wasn't going to move before Iyaz told me. I didn't want to do something to get punished, because I didn't want to go away from him. Then I heard loud sounds from the door beside me. The sounds came from the bathroom. I looked at the door, waiting for it to open but it didn't. Normally I would get scared, but this time I felt something in me say that there was no danger. Then I heard his voice. He was shouting. I took this as a sign and opened the door. I was met with a sight of Iyaz, in his clothes, covered in blood. He was punching the mirror constantly, yelling along with it. It seemed like he was crying, yet I couldn't see that because of the water that was streaming down. He didn't stop when he saw me and I wanted to near him, but I couldn't. I just looked at him, blocking out what he was saying because I didn't want to remember it. I didn't want to remember all the things he was yelling about. I felt like I was standing there for hours when Tuana, his sister, came in. She grabbed me by my shoulders, shocking me. My body started to shake, yet I calmed when I saw that she wasn't angry.

"What is going on?" she asked me before she let go of me. She walked towards Iyaz and grabbed his arms. He tried to let her go to punch the wall again but she had a tight grip on him. She then wrapped her arms around him and he hold her tight, letting the tears appear.

"It all flies into my mind out of nowhere.. I feel so helpless.." he whispered towards her. Tuana loosened her grip and looked him in the eyes.

"You have to grab yourself together. Iyaz, this is not how you solve your problems. I get it, what you guys went through is the worst, but you know that this is not how Allah would want you to react. Look at you, you are covered in blood, hurting yourself. You need to be strong for her. Sure, you need to have your falldowns too, since it will make you stronger and it will make you able to move on, but don't do it this way. You are scaring her and you are scaring us. Grab yourself together and handle this better" she said before she let go and turned around. She walked towards me and without looking at me, went out of the door. Iyaz stood there like that for a few seconds before he turned towards me. His eyes pierced into mine and I felt uncomfortable. I felt like he was hating on me, because I was the reason of it all. I wanted to avoid his stare that made me feel like I was about to faint. I looked away, knowing that I would collapse if I looked any longer.

"I.. I should bring some band-aid" I said, turning around and leaving there as fast as I could. I let a few tears fall when I walked downstairs to find one of his sisters. I found Fatima and told her what happened. She rushed to the kitchen and grabbed a box. Before we could go upstairs, Tuana came down with Iyaz. He was dressed in clean clothes and she sat him down on the chair. He didn't look up. Not even at me. His expression was empty. He looked as if he was changing, as if he wasn't himself. I actually got a little scared. What if he changes like him? What if he becomes someone else I can't recognize?

"Stop. You are scaring her" Tuana said to Iyaz. That made him look up at her, before he looked at me. His face softened a bit, making me relax just a little. Fatima cleaned his hands and put band-aids on his knuckles.

"Why.. Look what you did to yourself. This won't heal easily" she said softly. Iyaz looked away, as if he didn't even care.

"Nothing will" he said back before he stood up and walked away. I couldn't move. I was scared to take a step. This was the first time he had reacted like this and it made me scared for the unknown.

"Don't worry, his anger is not towards you. His anger is towards what happened. He is angry because he feels like he failed you" Fatima said, grabbing my attention at her last words. I looked over at her in confusion.

"What do you mean?" I asked her. Why would he feel like that? He took us out of there. He kept his promise.

"Because he promised to not let you go after getting out of there, yet he let you go and you had to go through all of that when you needed help. He feels guilty for leaving you at this couple who found you" she explained. I looked at her for a few seconds, letting it all sink in before I ran. I ran towards his room, knowing that he was there. I didn't bother knocking and I went in, seeing that he was sitting down on his bed with his face in his hands. He didn't look up at me.

"Beau, leave" he said, surprisingly softy. I took a step towards him.

"It's not your fault" I said, my voice shaking. He didn't move nor did he look up at me.

"Leave" he said, his voice rougher this time.

"No" I said. This time he looked up.

"You are not Superman. You didn't have the responsibility to save me. Keeping your promise by getting us both out of there was more than enough. I don't blame you for anything. Iyaz, you are the only light in my life and I don't want that light to fade" I said, putting my hand on my mouth. My eyes widened, not knowing where that came from. He looked at me in surprise, also being confused by the things I said.

"Superman? You remember?" he asked me. I nodded softly, remembering who Superman was. I didn't know where it came from and how I knew it, but I remembered. Iyaz smiled at me, standing up.

"I am here, always, and I'd like for you to think that I am Superman" he said, laughing softly. I smiled, still confused by everything that I blurred out.

"Just.. Just pray. I learned that from you and I do it all the time. Talking to Allah calms me down, I am sure it will do you too" I said before I turned around and walked away. I couldn't stand the tension anymore. I actually remembered things..

~~~~~~~
Poor Iyaz is traumatized too :(