Chapter 72

Chapter 72

He turned around, yet I felt like I was met with different eyes. He was looking at me differently. It was as if he wasn't the safe haven of me anymore. As if I couldn't find the peace I needed in him anymore. I was about to say a lot- prove myself. I decided against it when I saw that he wasn't the Iyaz I had known. It was like someone turned the button off. When he realized I wasn't going to say anything, he left without saying another word. The moment he went out was the moment I let a tear escape, not knowing how to get out of this mess.

"Careful" Tuana said when she was helping me to get out of the bed. I was being released today. It was a hard three weeks of recovering to be honest. Especially with the police interviewing me the whole time. The hardest part was that I had to pretend I was this girl that had been brainwashed into forgetting everything. Seriously, how did I even manage that? Thanks to Iyaz, I knew that there was a past somewhere in my brain, but I just forgot how to reach it.

I looked around, seeing his family watching me. They still had the same warmth radiating off. I looked at Iyaz. He had been awfully quiet lately. He visited less and I hadn't seen him for days.

"Here, wear this, it's cold" his mother said, wrapping a jacket around me. I knew immediately whose it was by the smell, and for the first time I didn't want it wrapped around me. It put me in this toxic, confusing situation. I stood up, with Tuana linked in my arms, and started walking. I ignored the hurt that was going through my body, not wanting to burden them any more. We walked slowly to their cars and I enjoyed listening to the talking of the siblings that was about literally nothing.

I saw Anna and Fatima when we went to Iyaz's house. Anna left a few tears before she came and hugged me. My eyes widened and a sudden feeling of nostalgia hit me. I knew I had been hugged before. Like, in the past. This was the first time someone had hugged me since I remembered myself. I hugged her back, as if it was the nature doing it. I heard a few gasps around me, knowing that they had seen me like this for the first time. I ignored it, wanting nothing more than the embrace. I heard Anna say something before they were all gone and it was just me and her. I let go of her, needing to tell her the thing that I had been dying to say.

"Can I trust you?" I asked her, needing the answer. She looked at me with wide eyes, shocked that I talked about trust.

"Of course" she said, and I could see in her eyes that she was telling the truth.

"I... I remember everything. I remember who I am. When I saw him there that day, the day he shot me, I had major flashbacks and I felt like everything was coming back. I had told Iyaz right then and there but he doesn't believe it" I said, making her eyes widen. She was silent- shocked. She didn't utter a word.

"I don't remember people, or any names. I just know that my name is Aiya. I remember my past life, but can't go into details. I know that I had parents and was only child. These things came like a memory to me. I even know Arabic" I said, that made her gasp even more. She then opened her mouth to speak, but nothing came out.

"I need you to keep this a secret. Richard is planning something so I need to act like I am that traumatized girl that forgot herself. I can't even tell Iyaz. I could prove to him easily, but I wanted him to believe me when I told him" I said, letting go of the breath that I was holding.

"Wait a second. So you tell me that you know who you are, that you remember everything. Like, your sentences- they're so goo- gosh, it's real" she said, rambling a bit.

"I can't believe this! How is this even possible, like for real? I never thought you could loose your mind like that and then find it again like it never happened" she said excitedly, hugging me in the process. I smiled, hugging her back. I was very much enjoying that feeling.

"You can't tell anyone though, at least not for now. I just.. I just don't know what to do. Richard is very powerful. He would fight for this" I told her. She looked at me as if I had grown a second head.

"No, he can't do aything. The only thing he could do is take you out of this house, which he wanted so Iyaz wouldn't help you anymore. Now that you remember, it's no problem" she said, trying to assure me. I nodded, still not being eased by it.

"We have a long fight to fight" she said and I couldn't agree more.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~