Chapter 10

Chapter 10

I heard the door opening and without seeing someone I saw something thrown on the floor. I didn't know how fast I got there. I grabbed it and looked at it for a second. These times were so precious here. It was one of the things I looked forward to. I touched it with every finger, trying to save it all in my memory.

"What's that?" I heard Iyaz say. I looked over at him and saw him half-lying on the floor, playing with a little stone he found somewhere. I looked back at the thing in my hand and then broke it into half.

"I don't know what it is, but it is nice" I said, giving the other half to him. He looked at it and then I heard some voices coming from him. I looked at him with wide eyes. It was something familiar, that sound. It was something so, so familiar. When he stopped he looked at me.

"Sorry, but it was just too funny. I thought it was something, like, different or anything. It was just bread. Sorry that I laughed, didn't mean to make you upset" he said while holding his stomach. Tears started coming down his face out of nowhere and I heard his little cries. I went over to him and gave him the food, trying to let him stop crying. Crying was bad. It was too bad. He looked at me with his eyebrows raised. Then he took it from me.

"Thank you... for the bread" he said. Then he took a huge bite of it. Tears were still streaming down his face. I didn't understand. Bread.. bread was good. Bread was not bad.

"Why are you crying?" I asked him. He shouldn't cry. He didn't need to go upstairs so he shouldn't cry.

"I just.. I- everything is just too much. I don't know why I'm here. I don't know whether I will see my family again. I don't know if I will ever survive this. And the scariest one is that I don't know when I am going to give up" he said, whiping away his tears.

"I gave up.. but I'm still alive" I heard myself say. I didn't know where it came from or why I said it. I didn't even know what it meant. I felt my mouth open before I put my hand on my mouth. He just looked at me and smiled.

"You finally said something that's near the language of humans" he said while shaking his head.

"What do you mean?" I said, taking a bite of the bread. The hard structure was almost uneadible but I still managed to swallow it always.

"You know.. that day you broke down. You were talking and you said a few things.." he half-whispered. His voice was low now, as if he was avoiding what he was about to say. I just looked away, not wanting to hear it. Something inside me started to explode and I didn't want to know.

"You're smart enough to know that a jellyfish doesn't have a brain. Smart enough to feel that my body felt like a wall that you were crushed to. Smart enough to know that when you have hiccups that means that your body is trying to control itself. Smart enough to know that when water comes in your lungs you could drown. You know what drowning means. But your freaking don't know what bread means?! That's too crazy for me" he said. I felt my hands shake and I wiped them off on my shirt because of the sweat.

"That man didn't teach you that, that's for sure. Tell me, how long have you been here?"

~~~~~~~~~~~
Salaam guys, so so so sorry for such a late update. First of all was my inspiration just gone and when I got a lot of ideas I wrote it in a notebook from college and then threw it away forgetting. So all the ideas are gone. Then my laptop started crashing so I couldn't use it for a month. And now I'm writing this while I'm at a speech therapist for my internship and the patient didn't come so thats why we have to wait. And school started bugging me because we are left in the deep and you have to figure everything out on your own which is hard. Also with this story, I want it to be as realistic but also as fictional as I could make it. I watch a lot of documentaries, interviews etc with people who got kidnapped or with kidnappers, just to understand their morals and thoughts. Its not easy to write about things like this and I want it to be as professional as it can. From now on will there be every Sunday an update of this book. But not this Sunday because I'm really busy. But don't worry, I will write during each day so you will get a big update.

The description of my new book 'Broken Blue Balloons' is up, so make sure to check it out. I will update that one every Friday in shaa Allah. I think it will be the most different story I ever wrote.