Chapter 46

Chapter

"What's this sound?" I asked Savannah when I heard voices out of nowhere. It was pleasant. I had never heard it before. Looking around and seeing no one, I turned towards her to get the answers.

"It's called Music. People write songs and sing them with instruments. A big thing in this age" she said and I nodded, understanding it a bit. What she told me was a little familiar, but I couldn't put a name on it.

"Where are we going?" I asked. We had been to the hospital for the last few days and the people there were taking tests again. This time they put a needle into my arm and it was scary. I hadn't seen a needle in such a long time, since I knew how to behave when he was around. In the beginning he would put a needle in my neck when I didn't do what he told me. I would drift off to sleep and when I woke up I would just be naked and lying in the hole. It would make me weaker than I already was so I always got scared when he came in with a needle till I understood that I needed to behave and do as he said. The people in the hospital assured me that they were just going to take some blood. The sight of the blood made me vomit, and I felt bad for ruining the bed I was lying in. I remember my heart beating faster since I was scared of the punishment. Maybe even more than when I was when he punished me, since I knew his punishments, but from the people at the hospital I didn't.

"To a remedial educationist. She will tell us the results of the few tests they took a few weeks ago. The one that was for your IQ and some speech and language tests" she said, making me not understand a thing again. In the beginning it did hurt my head, but I got used to it.

We walked in and I was hit with the color of the walls immediately. Yellow smiled were looking back at me, that were painted on there. There weren't a lot of people which I was happy about. I didn't want to break down and get scared. I couldn't take that right now. I was a bit skeptical though, since I was meeting a new person. That always was difficult for me. Accepting that I wasn't the only person on Earth with him was still difficult for me.

"Hello, my name is Sandra Hart, come on in" she said giving Savannah a hand when we arrived at a room. She didn't acknowledge me and I was relieved about that. She sat down at her desk with lots of papers on it and we sat in front of her. Savannah looked at me for a second, asking if I was okay and I nodded. For now.

"Okay, so I wanted to give you a conclusion on the tests we have done. I must say, we haven't quite agreed on something, since this is a case that we have never seen before" she started, grabbing my attention. What was she talking about?

"What do you mean?" Savannah asked, clearly not understanding it just like me. Sandra looked at me with an expression that I was known with. Her eyes looked a bit off and she was half-smiling. It was as if she was feeling sad yet not. This was a look a lot of people gave me and I still didn't know what it meant.

"We expected something that we were used to. Children who have been abandoned and neglected from the outside world most of the time don't develop well and how they should be, since the first few years of their lives are the most important ones. When they don't get speech, movement and basically everything in these years, they don't develop fully, meaning they can become disabled. We expected it the same with her. We thought that she wouldn't be developed fully, which she isn't, but we didn't think she was this far already. Out of our tests we can tell that she has a mentality of a girl around the ages of twelve and fifteen. We think it is fourteen. This means that she has been developed in her pre-teen years and she has been developed till she was fourteen. We have a few conclusions that could've happened. The first one is that she has been kidnapped around the age of fourteen. The second one is that she has been developed normally when she was a child and after that the abuse started, or that she has been abused along the way yet managed to develop normally. We aren't sure what exactly happened and we can only learn that from her" she said, giving us a lot of information. I didn't catch anything, but the last part gave me goosebumps all over my body. I shook my head, wanting to get out of there.

"But she doesn't remember. I genuinely believe she doesn't when she says she doesn't" Savannah replied, putting her hand on mine. I pushed ito ff, not wanting to get punished. I didn't want anyone close to me. I wanted to get out.

"There could be a possibility that she is brainwashed. We could only learn this with time. She needs time to first get used to this new life and learn more about life before she could tell what exactly happened. Chronological order is out of control in her mind, I believe, so even when she remembers things, she can't remember when that happened. I would like to help research this case and help her"

"But what will happen now? She hasn't developed fully, even though she has been for fourteen years" Savannah asked her. I looked at Sandra, wanting to know her answer.

"Most of the time these type of situations conclude that the person will not develop fully, but will improve. We can say that she won't ever be her age; she will always be behind, but we believe that a good environment, education and love will help her improve a lot" she said, making me tighten my grip on the chair.

"There will always be a four-year-gap between her real age and her brain, but even though we can conclude that, we aren't sure. It depends on how she is being raised from now on. Did you talk to her about the times when she was th-"

"I want to go" I said, while standing up. I wasn't going to let her finish. I wasn't going to let her ask about the hole. I wanted to forget it. I wanted to shower, since I felt disgusted by the thoughts and the memories that wanted to reach up to surface. I looked Savannah in the eyes before I turned around, running out of there.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
IYAZ WHERE ARE YA COME BACK