17

As Bronx laid awake next to jaylah, he was surprised to see they had ended up in the same position, his arm over her as she slept against his chest. The smell of strawberries invading his nose from her long blonde hair. So sweet just like her. 'this is not okay but I don't want her to move, I don't want to move' as Bronx held onto her for a while longer, a small smile played on his lips. He has seen her open up again and her food intake has increased. He is looking forward to the day she is at full health again.
Bronx slowly raised his arm and moved off of the bed, hoping not to wake jaylah. Closing the closet door, he got changed then walked to the bathroom, splashing his chiseled face with cold water to wake him up. He has a busy day and needs to get moving. As he walked out of the bathroom he looked at jaylah as she laid asleep in his bed. 'time to go' grabbing his wallet, gun and phone he left the house.

"Boss" "emit. How are you holding up?" "Fine" "I know you men are struggling with what's happened. I can tell you, I have spoke with her, rayal and kalem" emit ran his hand through his hair "yeah.." "they don't hate you emit" emit was stunned "jaylah has expressed she knows it was your job" "she's okay?" Bronx nodded "doing well. Her food intake has increased and she is walking around a tiny bit each day" with this news, emit grinned "I don't know how she did it boss" "you and I both but whoever helped her did the right thing" "helped?" "There's no way jaylah would survive after three days without water" emit internally grinned "I didn't help her boss" "even if you did, I'm not angry. Those two new prisoners?" "Casey is nearly on her death bed and kia isn't far behind" "hmm good. I want to see jaylahs cell" "the last one" "jaylah will be coming here when she can walk" "what?" "Jaylah told her uncle that she wants to come here when she is walking. She mentioned she wants to talk to you men and see her cell" emit looked at Bronx curiously "so now I want to see it first" "okay".
Bronx walked down the corridor, keeping his eyes away from the prisoners. Standing in front of jaylahs cell, its empty like it should be. Nothing out of place and the blood has been cleaned up. "Boss?" Bronx turned to look at Clyde "Clyde" "it was cleaned after she was taken. How is she?" "Doing well Clyde" "happy to hear that. I heard you had a visit from rayal?" "Yes" "everything okay?" "It's fine at the house" Clyde grinned "that's good".
As Bronx and Clyde walked up the corridor, Bronx spoke "did you help jaylah?" "Help her?" "Yes" "no" Bronx showed a slight nod "do you notice something in here Clyde?" "Nothing out of the ordinary" "those two are on their last legs. While jaylah survived two months without water and food" Clyde stopped and looked at the cells as a small grin sat on his face "someone helped her?" "That's my bet but whoever did, I'm thankful. Have a good day Clyde" Clyde grinned "you too boss".
'no one is going to admit to helping jaylah and jaylah won't give the person up either'.

"Bronx" Bronx stood in the door way of Jackson's home with a box and a plastic pocket. Nicole opened the door wider and Bronx walked in. "We were not expecting you" "I wanted to see you both" Nicole showed a small nod. "Jackson, Bronx is here" "Bronx.." Jackson noticed the box and plastic pocket. "what have you got?" "I would like to speak with you both" "let's take a seat I will organize a coffee" "thank you".
Bronx and Jackson sat down at the table.
"We have some news for you Bronx" "good?" "Yes but it's hard" Bronx nodded "Nicole and I are expecting" Bronx showed a small grin as his eyes watered "shit, I haven't cried so much ever" "soft these days Bronx?" Nicole placed the coffees down and took a seat "yeah.. not to them" Nicole smiled "congratulations both of you" "thank you" "thanks".
"I umm, I made a mistake" "we know it wasn't you Bronx" "no I accused the wrong person. It wasn't jaylah, it was Casey" Nicole and Jackson looked at Bronx with a mix of emotions both with shock and sadness. "She paid for a crime she didn't commit?" "She's alive" "what?" Bronx nodded "jaylah survived. Two months in there. I over heard Casey and martina talking. Turns out Casey framed jaylah" "shit" "I know it doesn't make it any easier" "the truth is out, that is a positive" "how is jaylah?" "She's.. strong. Determined to get back on her feet. I spoke with her yesterday. It turns out Sawyer had a stash of pictures in my office that I didn't know about. These are for you both" Bronx placed the plastic pocket on the table. Nicole gently grabbed the plastic pocket and pulled out the papers. "Jaylah always had him in the office?" "He liked being in there with her" Nicole's eyes watered as she looked at each picture. "There was two more but jaylah has one and I have the other" "jaylah?" "Yes. It's a picture of her and Sawyer" Nicole showed a small smile "we will cherish these forever. Thank you" Bronx nodded "speaking with jaylah yesterday, she mentioned that Sawyer had a calendar. He was counting down the days to his seventh birthday" Bronx swallowed hard as he opened the box and grabbed out the calendar, placing it on the table "she mentioned that he would change his mind every week about what he wanted" Nicole and Jackson both wiped their tears "the last day that he had crossed off the day, he told jaylah he wanted a spiderman cake with no real webs because they would taste yuck" Jackson and Nicole let out a small laugh as a mix of sad and happy tears travelled down their cheeks. "As much as I would like to take credit for the idea, I won't" Bronx pulled out a seventh birthday cake with spiderman on it and placed it on the table "jaylah told me to bring those pictures to you and this. Maybe we can have the cake for him?" Nicole and Jackson both let the tears fall "even after everything she went through, she thinks of our son. I.. I'm speechless. Yes let's have the cake he wanted" Bronx let the tears fall as Nicole stood up and moved from the table "you have no idea how much this means to us Bronx" Bronx grabbed Jackson's hand "I see that kid like my own Jackson. It kills me inside" "don't blame yourself Bronx. We wouldn't have let him be there, if we seen a threat. You weren't to know one of your own would betray you" "she did more than that. She tore us apart".
As Nicole came out, she put a candle on the cake and lit it. "For you our gorgeous boy" as Nicole blew the candle out, tears streamed down her face. Cutting the cake, she placed a piece in front of Bronx, Jackson and herself. As they ate in silence Nicole sat thinking. As soon as she finished the cake she spoke "Bronx. I would like to see jaylah" "I can speak with her about it but she isn't capable of.." "we will come there" Bronx showed a slight nod "when I get back, I will tell her" "thank you. For what she has done for our son and us, I'd like to thank her personally" "I understand that".

"Jaylah?" Jaylah turned to look at Bronx as he walked into the room. "I went to see my brother and sister in-law today. Nicole would like to see you" jaylah was stunned not that she showed it "okay that's fine" "I'm not sure when they are coming" "they are coming here?" "Yes. Jackson said they will come here" "okay. Did today go alright?" "Not easy but they appreciated what you did" "that wasn't supposed to be from me Bronx. It was.." "I know but.. it was only right that I tell them the truth. I would never of thought to do that. I was also told by Nicole to give you this" Bronx walked closer putting a piece of cake on the bedside table. "cake?" "Part of sawyers cake. It was pretty sweet but also really good. I don't actually remember the last time I had cake" jaylah kept her emotions hidden as she sat up. "Chocolate and cream" "and a ton of icing" jaylah grinned as she hid her face from Bronx. "I will need to thank Nicole and Jackson for letting me have some" jaylah grabbed the plate and the spoon. Putting the spoon full of cake in her mouth, she savoured the taste. "You are right. It's very sweet but he would've loved it" "massive sugar high too" "definitely no sleep after eating this. To Sawyer" Bronx grinned.