Chapter-40

"I am from Hi.. Hiranga." That sentence startled them and Charan directly pointed his sword towards her. But she was not afraid and looked straight into his eyes as she was expecting his reaction.

"Since I dare to believe you then I hope you will at least respect me to complete what I wished to say." Even though Charan was not satisfied with her identity he still dropped his sword back to sheath.

"I am a dancer and I came to Amai due to my research about Amaian folk dance. I have heard a lot about the cursed pond so I decided to visit it before leaving. On my visit I got injured near the pond, so the people of Sayyonee rescued me and treated me. "

"What injury?" Abhik was curious about her story.

" I slipped and almost drowned."

"When was it?"

"Almost 3 or 4 weeks" She said it without much thought.

"If you were cured then why did you stay back?" Charan acted fast. She smiled slightly at him, " Can you let me complete my words? I will answer you." Yuvan was simply looking at her as if he was studying her every move.

"I lost my pass card and had to stay for a while and during that period, they took me and treated me like their daughter. So I thought of staying until their festival. She took a deep breath,

On the day of the incident, we thought of visiting that pond again since I couldn't remember how it looked. Then..

When we were back, everything was over. We watched it collapse right before our eyes." Her eyes were red and was brimming with tears.

"We?? Abhik suddenly felt it odd.

"I and.. "

"Here comes the tea." Alok entered the scene with a pot of tea. They all looked at him.

"and the son of the village chief, She pointed at him. My brother."

"di.." He seated near her holding her hands.

"brother??" Abhik was empathizing with him and started to admire her.

"The village chief and lady took care of me as their daughter, with me here how can he be an orphan?"

"So you mean..?"

"I am Alok, the son of the village chief and the only one alive." He said boldly but with tears in his eyes not a symbol of helplessness but his anger. He continued, "I am damn sure it was not an accident."

"Why??" Charan now started to believe in her and admired her pure heart.

"On that day we saw some men walking towards our village and.." , his words now slowly quivering he looked at his di; " And when we reached there no one was screaming as if the fire was ignited on dead bodies, she looked at them; I know what you are thinking, you may think that since it is caused by lightning as per official records but.. how can it burn down the entire Sayyonee?"

"If, finally Yuvan decided to speak, you believe so then why didn't you complain?"

"Even before we could do something, the case was closed as a natural disaster."

"Then what was your further plan?"

"We believe that justice has long arms so we decided to wait and leave it to fate."

"Just like that?"

"What else? Do you think we are capable of doing something, not to mention myself a hirangan or should we go and take revenge, she smiled sarcastically.'' We don't even know who to blame."

"He told me he wanted to visit his parents until their first death day so I decided to stay here and one of my friends helped me to set up this business, a baker."

"Then after one year?.."

"After one year we will go back to Hiranga and I have applied for his citizenship. He will join my dance troupe."

"So The reason I brought you here is as officials you can investigate but please don't drag him into this case. Let him live happily in a new identity. I beg you." She humbled herself in front of them.

Abhik and Charan looked at Yuvan for his decision while he was silent and was thinking deeply.

He took a deep breath and said to her,

"Be my wife."