denial pt. 1

scott wore a panda onesie, a teddy bear in his arms and a bright smile on his lips. his bright blue eyes held that vacant look that they gained around a month ago, and his entire aura just seemed off.

the rest of the people in the room stared at him. a few were muttering to themselves and others were humming quietly with the same vacant look. "hello. what's your name?" a kind woman asked. she held a clipboard and a pencil, and while her voice was kind, her eyes were silently examining and evaluating him. "scott!" scott said brightly. then he giggled quietly, his cheeks dusted with pink. "thank you," he whispered, holding his bear tighter.

"can everyone go around and say their names?" the woman asked, focusing her gaze on each of the inmates. none of them responded, and scott's eyes unfocused.

i miss you, scotty.

scott giggled quietly. "why? you're talking to me right now."

i just do. i love you.

scott smiled shyly and blushed, burying his face in his teddy bear. "i love you too."

the woman heard this and looked over, frowning confusedly. "who are you talking to, scott?" she asked gently, and scott snapped to attention, his eyes abruptly focusing. "mitchy!" he said, grinning widely. the woman did not react the way he'd expected. instead, she frowned. "scott, you mean mitch grassi?" scott giggled, holding his bear closer. "mhm," he said shyly, blushing slightly at just the mention of his name.

the woman sighed and tried to speak as gently as possible. "scott, honey, mitch died a month ago."