say you won't let go

Scott could feel Mitch slipping away. The two had grown apart lately, and Mitch was spending more and more time with his other friends, despite the fact that Scott was his boyfriend. Scott was trying not to care, not wanting to be the clingy boyfriend, but it hurt. He didn't want Mitch to leave him.

So, he devised a plan to get Mitch to stay, remind him of their love. He approached Mitch when he got home from the studio, offering him a small smile. "Hi, Mitchy. Can I take you on a date tonight?" Mitch paused in removing his jacket, and his gaze seemed almost guilty as it flickered up to Scott's eyes. "I had plans with Austin tonight," he said slowly, and Scott did his best not to flinch. "You've been with Austin every night this week. Mitchy, we haven't had any time together. I've hardly seen you and we live together. I want to be with my boyfriend." Mitch sighed, chewing on his lip, but he reluctantly nodded. "Fine. I'll tell Austin I can't go." Scott smiled in relief and bent to kiss his cheek, wrapping him in a hug. "We're going to have so much fun."

Scott took Mitch out to dinner, and he thought his plan was working. They were laughing together like they used to, and Mitch was even giving him the occasional kiss on the lips or neck. However, it all went downhill when they got to the boardwalk. Scott had planned on a nice walk on the beach and maybe kissing under the moon, but there was something going on there that he hadn't anticipated. One of the clubs was having everyone outside instead for whatever reason, and the beach was crowded with dancing bodies. Scott could tell Mitch wanted to go over by the longing look in his eyes whenever he glanced over at it, so he reluctantly took him over.

Mitch stayed by Scott's side instead of disappearing immediately like Scott expected him to, but Scott could tell it was only because Mitch felt guilty for how much he'd been away from his boyfriend. His eyes scanned the crowd, and his bottom lip was trapped between his teeth, his fingers fidgeting with his jacket. Scott's heart sank down to his feet and into the ground below.

Mitch's gaze stopped on a man in the crowd. He was staring at Mitch with a smirk, his bright green eyes raking up and down his body. Mitch's eyes darkened slightly with lust, and his grip tightened on Scott's arm. "Scotty?" he said softly, still not breaking eye contact with the man. Scott hummed softly in acknowledgement, and Mitch either didn't notice how sad it sounded or didn't care. "What would you say if I told you I wanted a threesome?" Scott's breathing caught in his throat and he looked down at Mitch, but when he saw where Mitch was looking, he followed his gaze to the dark-haired man who was looking at Mitch like he was a piece of meat. "You- You want to have a threesome?" he whispered brokenly, trying not to cry. "Mhm," Mitch practically purred, though it sounded more like a growl. "What do you say?"

"M-Mitchy, I- I wanted tonight to be about us. I haven't seen you in forever, and we haven't cuddled or kissed or really anything lately. I- I miss you."

Mitch's gaze finally snapped away from the man and to his blond boyfriend, but it was sharp and cold. "You're so fucking selfish, Scott. You know that?"

Scott flinched and recoiled, wrapping his arms around himself. "B-But you're my boyfriend. We're supposed to do those things," he said weakly, his voice breaking, but Mitch scoffed and crossed his arms over his chest. "Can't you see I'm happier this way? I enjoy spending time with my friends. Forgive me for neglecting you for two seconds. We've been with each other for every minute of our lives, Scott, it's time for us to be spending time with other people. Now, come on. This man is hot and I want both of your hands on me at the same time." He took his hand and began to lead him over to the man, but Scott shook his head and pulled his hand away. "Fine. Go have sex with him. I don't care," he mumbled, turning and walking away without another word.

That was a lie. Scott did care. He cared a lot. As soon as Mitch couldn't see his face, he started to cry.

When he got home, he immediately trudged to his bedroom and curled up on the bed, beginning to sob. Slowly, he got the velvet box out of his pocket and stared at the glittering ring inside, and his heart shattered in his chest.

+++

Mitch didn't realize what he'd done until after the man had collapsed beside him and fallen asleep. He just had sex with a guy, whose name he didn't even know, when he had a boyfriend. He'd just cheated. All of the times he'd said someone should break up with their significant other if they cheated, and he just did it. He felt like a horrible person.

He hadn't planned on going back home that night, but he suddenly couldn't stand to be in that bed anymore. He got up and quickly pulled on his clothes, then rushed out of the house before the man could wake up.

When he got home, the house was silent, and Mitch figured Scott was asleep. He set his keys down and took his shoes off, quietly making his way to the hall with both his and Scott's bedroom on it. He peeked into Scott's room, and his heart broke when he saw Scott curled up in bed after obviously crying himself to sleep. He felt like crying too. Scott probably wouldn't want him anymore when he found out what Mitch did. Swallowing his tears, Mitch stripped down to his boxers and slid in bed beside Scott, pressing himself against his back. Scott made a small noise in his sleep, and he turned around to wrap Mitch up in his arms. Mitch sniffled and buried his face in Scott's neck, closing his eyes.

+++

The next morning, Scott woke up to a familiar presence in bed beside him. He blinked sleepily down at him, and his brow furrowed when he saw Mitch. Did he come home without having sex with the man? His heart jumped hopefully, but then he noticed the hickeys scattered across Mitch's neck, and it shattered once more. He hid the ring box again, and he wondered if he'd be able to get his money back. Mitch was probably going to break up with Scott as soon as he woke up. Tears filled Scott's eyes again, and he curled up in bed, burying his face in Mitch's neck. He decided to savor Mitch being his boyfriend as long as he could.

Mitch blinked awake, and the first thing he noticed was a warm weight on top of him. He sighed softly and peered down at Scott, running his fingers through his hair. "Hi, Scott," he whispered. Scott jumped and shook his head, burying his face deeper in Mitch's neck. "No. G-Go back to sleep," he whimpered, his voice thick with tears. "I'm not ready to let go yet." Mitch felt his heart crack in his chest, and he wrapped his arms around him, though it felt a little strange. "I'm so sorry," he whispered, brushing away Scott's tears. "I shouldn't have cheated. You deserve better." Scott sobbed softly, trembling in his arms. "Please don't leave me."

"Scotty, I cheated on you. You should break up with me."

"N-No! No, please, d-don't make me," Scott sobbed, shaking his head frantically. "I n-need you."

"Scotty..."

Scott broke down in tears, holding onto Mitch as tightly as he could. Mitch's heart ached, and he buried his face in Scott's hair as he too started to cry.

They didn't stop for a while. They were both certain the other was going to break up with them, and neither wanted it to happen. Scott thought he would break if Mitch broke up with him, and Mitch thought he'd have no reason to live. He was starting to realize how horrible he'd been for neglecting Scott. He knew he would be heartbroken if Scott did the same to him.

"I'm so sorry," Mitch repeated hoarsely, but Scott just sobbed and burrowed deeper into his arms. "Don't leave me." Mitch sniffled and pressed his lips to Scott's forehead, keeping them there. "Never."