imaginary friend

this was requested by Readingaccount21, i hope it's adequate and not totally cliché

sorry it's bad

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Scott sat forlornly on a bench, watching all of the other kindergarteners play together during recess. It was the first day of school, and he had no friends, even though the other children had no problem connecting with each other. He was alone and sad, wishing he had the courage to talk to one of the other children.

"Hi. I'm Mitch."

Scott jumped at the voice and looked up from his lap, but there was no one there. He frowned, confused.

"I'm over here, silly."

He turned to where he thought the voice was coming from, and he jumped again at the sight of the boy sitting next to him on the bench. He was small, with thin brown hair and chocolate eyes. A smile was on his lips. "I'm Mitch," he repeated, waving. "You're Scott, right?"

"How- How do you know my name?" Scott asked shakily, but Mitch just giggled.

"I know everything about you, Scotty. I'm your imaginary friend. I'm here to keep you company until you make some real friends."

Scott frowned and shook his head. "Then you'll be here for a while. The other kids scare me."

"That's okay, Scotty. You'll warm up to them eventually." Mitch smiled adorably again. "Until then, wanna play?"

+++

Scott was thirteen now. He still didn't have any friends, so Mitch still hung out with him. Scott loved Mitch a lot; secretly, he was purposely not making friends so he could still have Mitch.

Currently, Scott was sitting on his bed, staring blankly at his hands. However, his mind was a war. He'd just been accused of being gay by his so-called friends, and they said it like it was a curse word. He was scared. Was he gay? He didn't like girls, he knew that much, but did he like boys? He didn't know what to do.

Just like he always did when Scott needed him, Mitch appeared, sitting on the bed beside Scott. He appeared to be around thirteen as well, as he grew with Scott. "Hey, Scotty. What's wrong?"

"I think I might be gay," Scott whispered. "I'm scared."

"Why, Scotty?"

"What if- What if I really am gay? What do I do? Should I kiss a girl to see if I'm just being stupid? Is it just a phase? I don't know, Mitchy. I'm so confused." Tears filled Scott's eyes. "I can't be gay, everyone will hate me. I don't want to be gay, Mitchy. H-How do I stop it?"

"Hey," Mitch soothed in his soft voice. "It's okay. It's not bad to be gay, Scotty. You're still you, you just want to kiss boys instead of girls. There's nothing wrong with that."

"But- But everyone will hate me..."

"Don't worry about them, Scotty. If they hate you, it's on them. They're missing out on a chance to be friends with an amazing boy. You don't need them."

Scott sniffled and wiped away his tears, a blush on his cheeks. "But what if it's just a phase?"

"That's okay, too. You're allowed to explore, see what you like. It doesn't change who you are."

Scott looked up at Mitch, his heart fluttering in his chest. "Thank you, Mitchy," he whispered. "You always know what to say."

Mitch smiled back. "Anything for you, Scotty. You're my best friend."