you'll be back

trigger warning: unhealthy relationship

I will kill your friends and family to remind you of my love.

"I can't believe this," Mitch muttered as his boyfriend eyed yet another boy at the bar they were at. The music was loud and the bass pounded in his chest, so he figured Scott wouldn't hear him. He figured Scott would be too caught up in his alcohol to pay attention to him, even though he was definitely paying attention to other boys.

"What was that?" Scott growled in his ear, a possessive hand squeezing Mitch's thigh. "Wanna say that again, baby girl?"

Mitch knew that when they first got together, he would have immediately clamped his mouth shut and shook his head incessantly. However, he wasn't scared of Scott anymore. "Why are you paying more attention to those sluts when your boyfriend's right here?" he snapped, pushing Scott's hand away. "Don't think I can't see it. I can, and quite frankly, I don't appreciate it. Am I not enough for you? Is that what this is?"

Scott rolled his eyes, fueling Mitch's rage even further. "Don't be ridiculous, doll. Just drink your wine."

Mitch scoffed and stood. "No, I won't drink my wine. Tell me the truth. Would you rather get ass from those boys tonight or me? Are they prettier than I am? Bigger ass? Scared of you? I know that shit turns you on."

Scott's eyes darkened, but he calmly shook his head. "Sit down, baby."

"No! Answer my fucking question!"

Scott caught Mitch's raised hand with ease, and his eyes were practically black as he slowly stood. "You did not just raise a hand to me." His voice was low and barely audible over the music, but Mitch could hear it perfectly.

"Why? It's not like you haven't raised a hand to me," Mitch snapped. "I want to know the truth."

"It doesn't matter what the truth is," Scott growled, his nails digging into the skin of Mitch's wrist slightly. "I'll look at whoever the fuck I want to. Get over it. Now sit down and finish your fucking wine."

Normally, this would be when Mitch would give in and obey, but he was done. "No. I'm leaving. I'm sick of feeling like you're only with me because you have to be," he snapped, and though his gaze was sharp, his voice shook with threatening tears. "I'm sick of feeling like I'm not worthy of you. I'm sick of feeling like you might leave me for a random boy we pass on the street because his ass is bigger than mine. I want someone who has eyes only for me, and that someone is clearly not you. We're done."

Before Scott had time to react, Mitch had yanked his arm free of Scott's grasp and pushed through the crowd, heading for the exit.

Mitch's heart was still pounding in the taxi. He rubbed furiously at his eyes in an attempt to stop the tears streaming down his cheeks, but it was fruitless. His chest hurt more than he thought it would.

That night, Mitch unlocked the door to his apartment for the first time in months. He almost couldn't see due to the tears, and he started sobbing as soon as he had closed the door to his room behind himself. He didn't even know why it hurt so badly. It was clear to him that Scott didn't want him anymore, and there was no point in trying if Scott didn't want him. Scott always got what he wanted, which is how they'd gotten together in the first place, but now other boys were the object of his desires. Not Mitch.

+++

A few days passed. Mitch had started going back to work after his boss freaked out over his reappearance, and he was living on his own in his apartment. He refused to admit to himself how much he missed Scott, but every night, he tore himself up in his head. He should've just dropped it. How could he have been so stupid?

He'd just managed to fall into a pitiful sleep when he felt a weight on his hips and something cool being pressed against his throat. He forced his eyes open and he nearly screamed at the sight of a man there on top of him, but the man quickly clamped his hand over Mitch's mouth. "It's me," he whispered. "You're coming back with me."

As soon as Mitch got over his surprise and fear, the anger returned, though he had to push back the wave of love that crashed over him at the sight of his old lover. "And what makes you think that?" he snapped. "I don't want to go back with you."

"I don't care. I thought this knife to your throat would be a pretty good indication that you don't have a choice," Scott growled, and Mitch could see the cold glint of his blue eyes even in the darkness.

"Oh, please." Mitch scoffed. "You wouldn't hurt me. Get off me and go back to your pretty boys, I'm staying right here."

"Says who?" Scott flicked his wrist ever so slightly, sending the knife over Mitch's collarbone.

Mitch cried out in pain, and red immediately oozed from the wound. Scott lowered his head and latched his lips onto the patch of skin around the little cut, sucking gently. The bleeding had stopped by the time he pulled away, but a bruise was forming in the area. "Please don't make me hurt you again, baby doll," Scott murmured gruffly. "Come back with me. You know you're the only one I want."

Mitch just about melted, and he had to fight the urge to cave immediately. "Then why do you do it? Why do you look at those other boys?"

"Because I can't help but notice how much more beautiful you are. You make me the luckiest man alive. I don't know what I'd do without you. I... I missed having you in my bed."

Tears filled Mitch's eyes, and he couldn't resist nodding. "I missed you too, Scotty. Of course I'll come back with you," he whispered, not even thinking of his job or his friends or anything else other than Scott.

Scott relaxed and tossed the knife carelessly to the side, bending to connect their lips. Mitch kissed back passionately, wrapping his arms around Scott's neck and pulling him closer. Scott hungrily licked his way into Mitch's mouth, letting his hand trail down Mitch's body to squeeze his thigh. Mitch moaned and arched his back into Scott's touch. "W-Wait, Scotty, let's get home first," he whispered breathlessly as Scott's fingers ghosted over his cock through his leggings. "You can fuck me when we get home."

With great effort, Scott peeled himself off of Mitch's body and threw random clothes into a random bag he found before taking Mitch's hand and leading him out to their old hideout.

+++

Mitch waited patiently for Scott to lay back down beside him before he cuddled up to his side, resting his head on his shoulder. Their hearts were still racing and they were still breathing heavily, but Mitch was feeling sappy. He was so in love with the man beside him, and he didn't think he'd ever stop.

"I love you," he whispered, draping his arm over Scott's waist so he could get closer to him. "You don't have to say it back, but I love you. I want to be with you for the rest of my life."

Scott didn't respond, but he turned on his side so he could fully envelop Mitch in his arms and Mitch felt his lips on his hair.

Silence reigned for so long that Mitch fell asleep, and he didn't hear Scott's five little words. "I love you too, baby doll."