it's complicated

i'm sorry i haven't been updating. this is just a short little thing i came up with on a whim. merry belated christmas to those who celebrate it, and happy holidays to those who don't.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Uncle Scott?"

Scott looked up at the sound of his name, and a smile formed on his lips at the sight of his nephew. "Hey, bud. What's up?" he asked, turning off his phone so he could give Landon his full attention. Landon shrugged and plopped down on the couch next to him. "Do you have a boyfriend?"

Scott blinked, surprised. "No. No, I don't. Why do you ask?"

"Well, I just thought Mitchy was your boyfriend," Landon said, looking up at him with innocent eyes. "You always look at him like Mommy looks at Daddy. And whenever he's here you like to hold his hand and cuddle him and stuff."

Scott felt heat rising in his cheeks, even as he shook his head. "I just love him a lot. But we're not dating." Landon frowned slightly and tilted his head, clearly confused. "But you love him. Don't people who love each other date?" he asked, and Scott offered him a small smile. "Not always, bud. I love Mitch, more than anything, but we don't love each other like your mommy and daddy do," he explained, trying to keep the sadness out of his voice. "We love each other because we're best friends." Landon hesitated, playing with his hands. "But you love Mitchy. Mommy said you and Mitchy dated when you were in high school. You loved each other then like Mommy and Daddy do, but you don't anymore?"

"It's complicated, Landon," Scott said quietly with a soft sigh. "Mitch and I... We're best friends. He and I both agreed that we shouldn't risk dating because if we broke up, it might ruin our friendship."

"But you wouldn't break up. You love each other."

"No, not the same way." Scott sighed again, running his fingers through his hair. "You cannot tell anyone what I'm about to tell you, okay? Not even your mommy or Grandma." Landon furrowed his eyebrows, but he nodded. Scott glanced around before he scooted closer to Landon. "I still love Mitchy. Like your mommy and daddy love each other," he admitted softly, like he didn't want it to be true. Landon smiled at that and nodded. "Then you should date." Scott chuckled sadly and shook his head. "I'm sorry, buddy. It's not that easy. You see, if you want to date somebody, both of the people's feelings have to be mutual."

"What does that mean?"

"It means that they have to feel the same way. For example, your mommy and daddy both love each other, so their feelings for each other are mutual. I can't date Mitchy because he doesn't love me the way I love him."

"Well, have you asked him?"

Scott hesitated. "No, I haven't."

"How do you know he doesn't love you that way if you haven't asked him?" Landon asked, like it was the most obvious thing in the world. Scott hesitated again, but he shook his head. "I can't ask him, bud. I already know the answer, I'd just humiliate myself. Mitch and I are best friends and that's all we'll ever be. I'm just going to have to try and get over him." Landon frowned at him, and he shook his head as he went back to his mother. Scott sighed and put his face in his hands, rubbing his temples.

The rest of the night, he couldn't keep his mind off of Mitch. He knew he shouldn't be thinking of his best friend in this way, but his nephew's words were floating around in his head. What if Mitch did love him back?