murderer

i'm giving you a prequel to "solitary confinement" because a couple of you requested one

it takes place around eight years before the original

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

trigger warning: abuse, rape, and murder

Mitch knew something was wrong when Scott didn't show up for school. Scott was a straight-A student, and he hated missing school because he always received a ton of work to catch up on when he did. Once, Scott had gone to school when he had a fever of one hundred and two degrees.

Naturally, Mitch was concerned. He texted Scott to ask him where he was, but he never responded. Mitch didn't pay attention in most of his classes, too busy worrying about his best friend.

He headed over to Scott's house as soon as school let out. Connie offered him a smile when she saw him. "Hi, Mitch. Scott's not here right now, but you're welcome to wait in his room. I'm sure he'll be happy to see you, he always is," she said with a small laugh. Mitch smiled back and thanked her before he headed up to Scott's bedroom. He set his backpack down and plopped on the bed without hesitation; he'd been up there with Scott countless times.

Mitch had managed to get most of his homework done before he finally heard the door open downstairs and Connie's voice greeting her son. He perked up and watched the door anxiously, and it wasn't long before Scott came inside, rubbing his eyes.

"What's wrong?" Mitch asked immediately, and Scott flinched almost violently, his back slamming against the door that he'd just closed from the force of it. Mitch, alarmed, sat up and set his homework to the side. "Oh, my gosh, are you okay? I didn't mean to scare you, your mom let me in and told me I could wait for you upstairs. I just wanted to check on you. You didn't come to school today or respond to my texts, I was so worried."

Scott sniffled and set his bag down, keeping his hand over his face. "Please go away, I'm fine," he whispered, his voice shaking terribly. "I just want to be alone right now."

Mitch frowned and started to get up, but he stopped immediately when he noticed Scott's tears. "Why are you crying?"

"I'm not," Scott whispered hoarsely, even though he quite obviously was. "Go home."

"Not until you tell me what's wrong. Please, I'm your best friend. You can tell me anything," Mitch said gently, moving his stuff off the bed. "Come sit."

Scott obeyed silently, his tears flowing faster. "I need to tell you something," he whispered timidly, staring at his hands. "Please don't get mad at me. I- I regret it so much b-but I can't get out of it."

Mitch frowned slightly and nodded, reaching over to take his hand reassuringly. "I won't get mad at you. Your secret's safe with me."

"I..." Scott took a deep breath, clearly trying to work up the courage. "I have a boyfriend. His name is Jay. And we... we had sex last night."

Mitch frowned more, but he slowly nodded, running his thumb over Scott's knuckles. "Okay. That's fine, I wouldn't get mad at you for that. It's your body, if you want to have sex you can. I won't judge you."

"No, but..." Scott closed his eyes against the tears flowing down his cheeks. "I- I didn't want to have sex, Mitchy. He forced me to. A-And when I tried to say no, he- he hit me. I don't know what to do, Mitchy. He scares me so bad. I wish I never met him."

Mitch's heart broke for his best friend. He wrapped his arms around Scott and pulled him to his chest. "Is this the first time he's hurt you?" he asked softly, running his fingers through Scott's hair. Scott sobbed softly and pushed himself closer, burying his face in Mitch's neck. Mitch could feel how violently he was trembling.