happy little pill

original:

superfruit cover:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

trigger warning: suicide

An empty bottle of pills was clutched in Mitch's hand. He was gripping onto the counter on feet that didn't want to hold him up anymore, his breathing ragged and weak. His eyes drooped closed, and his heartbeat was slow and faint. He swallowed and tried to force his eyes open, but his knees soon gave out and he fell to the floor, the bottle of pills slipping through his fingers and rolling innocently on the floor away from him. Mitch tried his best to get up again and stumble over to the toilet to get the sleeping pills out of his system, but he couldn't. He was stuck there on the floor, feeling his life fade away.

"Mitchie!" Scott's voice called as he opened the door to their shared apartment, setting his stuff down. "Baby! I'm home!" Mitch simply coughed weakly, forcing down the bile rising in his throat. He wasn't going to have Scott's last memory of him be how he threw up all over the floor before he died. "Sweetheart?" Scott called again, confusion seeping into his voice. Usually Mitch would have attacked him in a hug by now, but the apartment was silent. Scott edged through the apartment, looking nervously around. "Mitch?"

Mitch's eyes had fully closed by now. He was fighting to stay awake, at least until Scott found him and he could say goodbye. "Scott..." he whispered barely audibly, hoping Scott would come soon.

Scott eventually saw the closed bathroom door, and his heart jerked at the sight, nervously creeping towards it. "Baby?" He pushed open the door and peeked inside, just to see Mitch lying motionless on the ground. His eyes widened and he quickly rushed inside, pulling Mitch into his lap and frantically feeling for a pulse. He furiously blinked away the tears blurring his vision, but let out a small sob of relief as he felt the faint, yet steady thump-thump of Mitch's heart. "M-Mitchie, you're going to be okay, p-please hold on for me," Scott whimpered pathetically, frantically feeling for his phone. However, with another sob he realized he left it on the counter. "I'll be right back, baby, please s-stay with me."

As soon as Scott grabbed his phone, he dialed 911 with shaking fingers as he rushed back to the bathroom.

"911, what's your emergency?"

"My boyfriend tried to commit s-suicide."

"Does he still have a pulse?"

Scott dropped to his knees by Mitch's body and felt for a pulse, relief washing over him when there was one. A weak pulse, but a pulse nonetheless. "Yes."

"Alright. I'm sending an ambulance over now. Keep him awake, okay?"

"Ok-kay."

The operator didn't hang up, but Scott didn't really care, setting his phone down and cupping Mitch's cheeks with both hands. "Please, baby, stay awake. Stay with me, please. Please, please, I can't lose you," he sobbed, brushing off the tears of his that fell on Mitch's cheeks. Mitch managed to open his eyes, just so he could see Scott's beautiful blue irises one last time. Scott sobbed louder and brought Mitch into his arms, holding him tightly. "Please don't leave me... Please, I need you..." Mitch gathered what little strength he had left and pressed his lips to Scott's.

The paramedics stormed the house then, but it was too late. Mitch fell limp on Scott's arms, his heartbeat slowing to a stop. "No!" Scott screamed, frantically kissing Mitch over and over. The paramedics followed the sound of his screams to the bathroom, and one of them came forward to gently try and pry Scott away from Mitch's lifeless body. However, Scott refused to let go of him, holding him even tighter. "No! No! He's not dead, he's not! He can't!" he sobbed loudly, and the paramedic tried to reason with him. "He's dead, sir. There's nothing you can do. I'm sorry."

"He's not! He can't be dead! He can't leave me!"

"I'm sorry, sir. There's nothing you can do."

"I love him! I love him!" Scott sobbed into Mitch's hair, holding him tighter. "I love him..."

"There's nothing you can do."

"M-Mitchie... Mitchie..."

The paramedic managed to gently take Mitch from Scott and lay him down on the stretcher, carefully folding his delicate hands on his stomach. Scott curled up against the wall and sobbed loudly, holding his works to his chest as though the lifeless body of his fiancé was still there. The paramedics blinked away tears and draped a white cloth over the body.

Scott didn't even seem to notice as the paramedics took Mitch's body away. "Mitchie..."