nightmare

mitch looked around confusedly, not knowing where he was. he appeared to be in the living room of the home that he shared with his omega, scott, but the blue-eyed boy was nowhere to be found. "scott?" mitch called shakily, standing up from the couch and looking cautiously around. he crept up the stairs, his heart beating loudly in his ears. slowly, he peeked into his and scott's bedroom, and there he was.

except he wasn't alone.

another alpha was on top of him, his face buried in scott's neck. scott's eyes were closed and his mouth was open in a silent moan, his wrists pinned above his head by the alpha. tears immediately filled mitch's eyes, his heart shattering, but he blinked them back, determined not to cry in front of scott. "s-scott? what are you doing? who's this?" he forced out, his voice shaking. scott groaned and opened his eyes, pushing the alpha off of him. "how many times do i have to tell you, mitch? i don't love you. i never have, i never will. get that through your head. i'm not yours," he said rudely, smirking at him. mitch opened his mouth to speak, but closed it again, trying to compose himself.

"b-but... i love you. y-you can't do this to me, scott, i... i gave you everything."

"yeah, well, it wasn't enough. get out."

"th-this is where i live, y-you can't do this-"

"get the f*ck out."

mitch flinched at his voice. he knew he shouldn't let scott treat him this way - he was an alpha, while scott was an omega - but his heart hurt too much to do something about it. without a word, he turned and left, tears beginning to flow down his cheeks.

as soon as he was out of the room, he heard a loud moan that he recognized as scott, and he broke down in sobs.

+++

mitch jumped awake. he was back in his and scott's bedroom, except it was shrouded in darkness. he looked around, his heart still beating loudly in his chest. tears streamed down his cheeks, and they only fell faster when he laid eyes on the sleeping omega beside him.

scott made a small noise in his sleep when mitch moved, stirring for a moment before sleepy blue eyes opened and looked around. "alpha?" he whispered, his voice hoarse from sleep. mitch sobbed and stuffed his hand in his mouth, closing his eyes against his tears. scott heard this, and frowned immediately, finally seeing mitch and moving closer. "alpha, why are you crying?" he asked gently. he wasn't used to this - mitch had never cried in front of him before. mitch whimpered and fruitlessly wiped at his tears, hating himself for crying in front of his baby.

but was scott still his? where was that alpha? had it all been a dream?

scott hesitated, but scooted closer to him, tentatively reaching out to touch him. "alpha?" mitch flinched at his touch and shrunk into himself, sobbing quietly again. "wh-where's your alpha?" scott frowned and tilted his head - something was very, very wrong. "y-you're my alpha, sir..." mitch didn't want to believe him, thinking he was lying. "no, th-there was another alpha here. h-he marked you. i saw," he whispered.

"alpha, there's no one here. i've been next to you all night."

"th-there was another alpha. y-you're not mine..."

"yes, i am, alpha. you marked me. i'm yours."

"b-but..."

"i think you had a bad dream, sir," scott said quietly. "i'm still yours, i promise. i love you." mitch slowly opened his eyes, meeting scott's. scott's heart broke at how sad and lost he looked, and he smiled sadly, gently bringing mitch into his arms. mitch didn't protest, hiding his face in his neck. scott shivered - mitch had chosen the side with his mark - but didn't pull away, holding mitch close. "it's okay, alpha. i'm yours. all yours," he murmured, running his hand up and down mitch's back. "you don't hate me?" mitch whispered hoarsely, moving closer. "of course not, alpha. i love you."

"i love you too," mitch whispered quieter, nuzzling his face deeper in scott's neck. scott held mitch gently, kissing his forehead. "i'm still yours." mitch slowly relaxed and sighed quietly, moving even closer. "i'm sorry." scott shook his head and gently rubbed mitch's back to calm him. "it's okay, alpha. you didn't do anything wrong," he said gently, but mitch still forced himself to pull away. "i shouldn't be crying. alphas aren't supposed to cry."

"it's okay to cry, sir."

"n-no, i... i'm an alpha. i can't... i don't deserve you."

scott frowned slightly, beginning to get nervous. "please don't leave me, sir. i love you."

mitch rubbed his eyes, trying to stop crying. "i love you too," he mumbled distractedly, starting to get up. scott panicked and quickly grabbed his wrist. "w-wait, alpha, wh-where are you going?" he asked quickly, but mitch just pried his hand away and pulled on his jacket and shoes. "i need some fresh air. i'll be back soon," he said quietly, turning and leaving before scott could react.

scott sat in silence for a moment, stunned. mitch had just gone out at two in the morning. who knew what would happen to him? he could be mistaken for an omega (it had happened before), he could get hit by a car, he could get sick and die... the possibilities were endless. scott whimpered and quickly pulled on his own jacket, slipped on his shoes, and rushed out after him.

almost immediately, he regretted his decision. it was dark and cold, and he was actually an omega, even if he didn't look like it. omegas out alone at night don't usually survive without being raped or assaulted or something. scott's heartbeat picked up and he knew he had to find mitch as soon as he could.

the only way of going about this that scott could think of was calling mitch's name, but that would draw unwanted attention to himself. however, scott knew he had to find mitch somehow. with a small whimper and trembling hands, he opened his mouth to speak. "alpha?" he called shakily, walking slowly. it hadn't been very long since mitch left, he couldn't have gone far. "alpha, where are you? please don't leave me..." scott jumped as he heard rustling in an alleyway, picking up his pace. "alpha?" his heartbeat picked up as he sensed a presence behind him, his eyes threatening to turn omega blue. "alpha? please come back..."

the next thing he knew, he was slammed against the wall, warm, alcohol-smelling breath on his neck. "hello," an alpha growled, bright red eyes staring up into blue ones. scott whimpered, his eyes immediately glowing their omega color. "please don't hurt me, sir. i'm just looking for my alpha, h-he said he needed fresh air," he rushed out, but the alpha ignored him, ghosting his lips over scott's mark spot. "such a pretty omega. shame you have an alpha. maybe he's willing to share." scott whimpered louder, beginning to tremble. "please don't hurt me..." he repeated pathetically. the alpha just smirked and nibbled teasingly on his mark spot - not enough to make him his, but enough to scare him a little. scott began to cry almost immediately, terrified he really wasn't going to be mitch's anymore.

just as the alpha was going to bite down, he was thrown off of scott, landing on the concrete sidewalk. mitch growled lowly and stayed protectively in front of his omega, his eyes glowing blood red. "don't you f*cking touch him." the alpha let a growl of his own rip from his throat and stood, towering over mitch. "what are you going to do about it, pipsqueak?" he asked challengingly, but mitch wasn't fazed at all, grabbing the man's collar and jerking him down to his height. "i'll rip your f*cking throat out," he snarled, throwing the man back down hard into the concrete. the alpha decided he wanted another drink, so he got up and scurried away.

mitch watched him for a moment until he was sure he was gone, but as soon as he was, his alpha eyes faded and he quickly turned to scott. "are you okay, baby?" scott sobbed and pressed himself against mitch, clutching onto him tightly and burying his face in his hair. mitch frowned, but hugged him back, rubbing his back. "it's okay, princess. i got you. you're safe now," he murmured comfortingly.

"i th-thought you l-left me, alpha..."

"i'll never leave you, sweetheart. i promise."

scott whimpered hoarsely, but pulled away. "can we go home please?" he asked innocently, and mitch nodded as he took scott's hand. "of course, baby. you need to get back to sleep." he led his omega back home and up into their bed, gently taking off their jackets before laying down with him in his arms. scott sniffled and hid his face in mitch's neck, curling up in his arms.

it didn't take long for both of them to fall back sleep, happy now that they were back where they belonged.