noteworthy

sorry rushed ending

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Scott stuffed his hands into his pockets as he left his dorm room to go to Starbucks. He was tired, and class started in ten minutes, but he needed his coffee before he could attempt music theory.

He ordered his drink and waited. He thought the barista was cute, but he knew he didn't have the time nor the money for dating. There was no way he'd like Scott anyway. All smiles and pretty brown eyes, he probably already had a girlfriend or boyfriend or significant other. Even if he didn't, he was way out of Scott's league.

When his name was called, Scott grabbed his coffee and left for class. He didn't notice the little note written on his cup until after he'd returned to his dorm.

You look beautiful today :)

Scott read the note over and over, his blush slowly deepening. Had the cute barista written the note? He told himself not to get his hopes up, because even if it was the cute barista, he was probably just being nice. He probably did this for everyone. Scott didn't look beautiful today, and that was a fact. He'd overslept after studying until four in the morning, so he hadn't had time to shower and his hair was a mess. He probably had bags under his eyes, too, and it wasn't like his wardrobe consisting entirely of t-shirts, hoodies, and jeans complimented his features.

Scott sighed and tossed his cup in the trash. He had homework to do.

+++

Scott jerked awake at the sound of his alarm, successfully knocking his textbook to the floor. He jumped again at the thump, and he let out a soft groan when he realized what he'd done. He sighed frustratedly and stood, turning off the alarm and picking up the textbook in one movement. He stretched, rubbing his neck. Falling asleep at his desk was definitely not good for his scoliosis.

The cold water of the shower woke Scott up better than his alarm did. He hissed out a curse and scrambled out of the way of the spray until it warmed up, which took a few minutes. He quickly washed his body and his hair before he turned it off and stepped out, drying himself off. He kept the towel around his shoulders as he walked out to his closet, and he rifled through the clothes until he found something adequate to wear. As soon as he was dressed, he grabbed his keys, slipped on his shoes, and left his dorm room.

Scott had to dig in his brain for a few moments before he realized what day it was. It was Thursday, so his first class was at noon. He decided he would get himself some breakfast at Starbucks too, just because he had time.

The daily trek to Starbucks went by quicker than usual. Scott blushed lightly when he spotted the cute barista, but he simply scanned the menu and hoped it would go away before he got up to the counter.

He let out an internal sigh of relief when he'd successfully gotten his croissant and coffee without making a complete fool of himself in front of the cute barista. He plopped down at a table in the corner and set the croissant down on a napkin. It was then that he noticed the little note written on it.

You're cute when you blush :)

Red bloomed over Scott's cheeks. Another note? The handwriting appeared the same as the first one. Hope rose in his chest, and he peeked up at the counter, where the baristas were busy taking orders. As soon as he laid eyes on the cute one, he stamped it out. That boy was way out of his league. If it was him, which it probably wasn't, he was definitely just being nice. While Scott had showered that morning, he was still ugly.

Scott threw his trash away and headed back to his dorm room, but he secretly kept the little corner of the napkin with the note on it in his pocket.

+++

Scott trudged through the doors of Starbucks, sweaty and gross from the gym. He tiredly ordered his usual and stuffed his hands into his pockets as he waited.

He watched the cute barista quietly while he worked. He couldn't help but smile when the cute barista laughed at something a coworker said, but he turned away and stared at the floor instead. He didn't want to get too attached to someone who wouldn't want him.

Back in his dorm room, Scott sat at his desk to get in some studying before his shower. When the note caught his eye, he blushed almost immediately.

You have the prettiest smile :)

+++

Scott had been receiving the notes for almost a month when the cute barista spoke to him.

"So have you liked the notes?" the barista asked as he rang Scott up, smiling at Scott with those pretty brown eyes sparkling. Scott was so surprised he almost didn't register that he was talking to him. "Wait, th-that was you?"

The cute barista giggled. "Yep. I thought it was obvious."

"No..." Scott blushed.

The cute barista giggled again. "I'm Mitch. What's your name, cutie?"

"Scott..."

"Well, Scott, I'm going to write my number on your cup. Text me, okay?" Mitch winked at him, and Scott blushed more. "Okay."

+++

I think you're pretty noteworthy :)

XXX-XXX-XXXX

-Mitch

Scott almost couldn't believe what he was reading. The cute barista liked him. His hands shook as he got out his phone and typed in Mitch's number.

XXX-XXX-XXXX: hi
sent 12:45 pm

It was hardly a few minutes before Mitch responded.

mitch (cute barista): is this the boy from the coffee shop?
sent 12:50 pm

XXX-XXX-XXXX: yes
sent 12:52 pm

mitch (cute barista): sweet :)
sent 12:54 pm

Scott sighed shakily and flopped down on his bed, holding his phone to his chest. He couldn't stop himself from smiling. Maybe he did have a chance.