denial pt. 3

trigger warning

scott was curled in a ball, his teddy bear clutched in his arms. his eyes were closed and tear-stains were on his cheeks, but he slept peacefully.

a knock sounded on the door, and scott slowly woke up, blinking sleepily and rubbing his eyes like a child. his mouth opened in a yawn, his eyes scrunching closed. good morning, scotty. scott smiled at the sound of mitch's voice, murmuring a soft "good morning, mitchy" as he stretched. the knock sounded again, and scott pouted, getting up and padding over. as always, he brought his teddy bear with him — mitch had given it to him the day before he died.

the nurse was waiting outside, a small smile on her lips. "good morning, scott." normally, the asylum patients would receive medicine from the nurses, but there wasn't any for scott, so she just came to wake him up. "morning," scott mumbled tiredly, rubbing his eyes again. "do you want breakfast?" the nurse asked. "no," scott said quietly, but mitch's voice spoke in his mind. you should eat, darling. scott sighed and smiled weakly. "yes, please." the nurse returned the smile. "get dressed, hun. i'll take you to the cafeteria."

scott pouted, holding his teddy bear. "i don't wanna get dressed." he was still wearing his panda onesie that mitch gave to him. the nurse sighed. "please?" get dressed, sweetheart. please. scott sighed again, but he wouldn't ever disobey mitch, so he mumbled a small "fine" and turned to get dressed. the nurse closed the door and waited outside for him patiently.

scott carelessly tossed all his clothes aside and pulled out a large sweatshirt of mitch's from the bottom of the drawer — when kirstie was packing for scott to send him to the asylum, she made sure to pack some of mitch's clothes, as she knew it was likely scott would refuse to wear his own. scott unzipped the onesie and quickly stepped out of it, shivering at the cool air, and hurriedly put the sweatshirt on, not liking being exposed. there's no need to be insecure. you're beautiful. scott blushed at mitch's words, but didn't respond, pulling on a random pair of sweatpants and quickly grabbing his teddy bear again.

scott opened the door again and smiled shyly back at the nurse when she smiled at him, taking her outstretched hand. "mitchy?" he whispered quietly, not loud enough for the nurse to hear.

yes, baby?

"when will you come back?"

mitch was silent for a long time after this question, and scott felt his heart break, tears brimming in his eyes. he didn't say anything, but he held his teddy tighter and shrunk back into his sweatshirt slightly.

soon, my love.

scott hurriedly wiped his tears away, swallowing hard. "but i want you back now," he whined quietly, and he heard mitch's soft laugh. he didn't notice, but it was choked with tears.

i'm sorry. i love you.

scott sniffled quietly, but murmured, "i love you too."

and then, they had arrived, and the nurse stood on her tiptoes to kiss scott comfortingly on the forehead. "go ahead. go eat." scott reluctantly went inside and immediately flinched at all the people. he whimpered quietly and held his teddy bear tighter, shrinking into himself. shh. it's okay, baby. i'm here. scott relaxed slightly at the sound of mitch's voice and inched cautiously towards the food line.

almost immediately, he was shoved to the side, and he fell to the ground. his teddy bear tumbled out of his arms and he reached frantically for it, but it was kicked away by a smirking inmate. "oh, no. scottie doesn't have his teddy," he sneered, and tears formed in scott's eyes, a whimper escaping his lips. "please give it back."