it's the most wonderful time of the year

happy christmas eve to those who celebrate it :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

'"Kirstie, Kirstie, Kirstie! Guess what??" Mitch practically squealed, bouncing excitedly on the bed. Kirstin laughed from her position on the floor, looking up at him. "What?"

"It's Christmas tomorrow!!" Mitch flopped down on the bed, his hair falling over his eyes, and immediately broke into a fit of giggles. Kirstie smiled fondly and climbed into the bed with him, smiling wider as he immediately latched onto her side. "Do you think Scottie will be home tomorrow? I miss him..." Mitch said sadly, burying his face in her neck. Kirstie sighed and wrapped her arms around him, gently rubbing his back. "I know you do, sweetheart. And I'm sure he misses you too. But I don't know when he'll be home."

Around five years ago, Scott had been drafted for the U.S. Army. Mitch hadn't seen him in person since — the only contact they'd had were the letters Mitch would occasionally get from Scott when he was allowed to send them. Before he left, Scott had Kirstie move in in his place so Mitch would have someone to watch over him. Every time they got a letter, Mitch immediately wrote one back and Kirstie helped him send it.

Mitch sighed, but pulled away slightly to smile up at her. "It's okay. Christmas is fun with you, too." His smile faded a bit and he averted his eyes. "It would just be even funner with Daddy..." Kirstin frowned and kissed his hair. "I'm sorry, sweetie. I'm sure he hates being away from you too. Just pretend he's here, okay?" she suggested softly, and Mitch slowly nodded. "Okay." Kirstie nodded slightly as well and pulled away. "Get ready for bed, honey. Santa won't come if you're still awake," she said gently, and Mitch's eyes widened. "No!" he almost yelled, quickly pulling away and scrambling to get dressed in his pajamas. Kirstie laughed and stood up, stretching as she waited patiently for Mitch to finish.

Mitch rushed to brush his teeth and wash his face, then ran back out of the bathroom and jumped on the bed. He was dressed in nothing but Scott's old t-shirt that was way too big on him and boxers. Kirstin smiled at him and pulled the covers over his small body, kissing his forehead. "Goodnight, sweetie," she murmured, but Mitch was already asleep.

+++

"Kirstie!!" Mitch practically shrieked, jumping on her bed. "Wake up! Wake up! It's Christmas!!!" Kirstin groaned and tried to pull the covers over her head, but Mitch peppered her face with kisses and she ended up smiling. "Alright, alright. I'm up," she said, getting out of bed. Mitch hurriedly grabbed her hand and rushed down the stairs, squealing at the sight of the presents. "Santa came!!" Kirstie laughed and sat down on the couch, watching him run around excitedly.

Mitch found a present for Kirstie and hurriedly carried it over to her, setting it in her lap. "Open it," he demanded adorably, and she smiled, shaking her head fondly as she began to carefully untie the ribbon. Mitch watched eagerly, a grin on his lips. When Kirstin finally finished opening it, she extracted a puppy mug, and her heart warmed up as she looked over at Mitch. "Did you pick this out for me?"

"Yeah!! Kevin took me shopping and I got gifts for everyone!" Mitch stated proudly, but then he shrunk into himself, becoming more timid. "Do you like it?" Kirstie smiled and wrapped her arms around him in a gentle hug. "I love it, sweetie." Mitch giggled and hugged her back, but soon got impatient and ripped himself free to go look at the presents again.

"Hey, Mitchie?"

"Yeah??"

"Maybe you should open that one," Kirstie said, pointing to a huge present taller than Mitch was. Mitch gasped and ran over. "Wow," he breathed. "It's huge!!" Kirstie laughed and nodded. "Open it!" Mitch subconsciously stuck his tongue out in concentration as he stood on his tiptoes to untie the ribbon.

Just like that, the sides of the box fell away to reveal a smiling Scott. Mitch screamed and jumped onto him, clinging to him tightly. "Daddy!!!" Scott laughed and hugged him back just as tightly, rubbing his back. "Yes, sweetheart. It's me," he said gently, and Mitch's shoulders started to shake with sobs. "D-Daddy, I m-missed y-you so much..." Scott smiled, swallowing the lump forming in his own throat. "I missed you too, darling," he said quietly, kissing Mitch's tears away, "but I'm home now. I'm here and I got you and I'm not leaving. I love you." Mitch sobbed loudly and buried his face in Scott's neck. "I l-love you t-t-too..." Kirstie was grinning like an idiot as she watched, wiping her own tears away.

Mitch refused to let go of Scott the rest of the day. Scott, of course, didn't mind, and Kirstin found it extremely cute how in love they were. The pair spent the majority of the day cuddling and kissing, with Kirstie third-wheeling like usual when she was with them.

That night, Scott climbed in bed next to Mitch and Mitch latched onto him, setting his head on his chest. "Daddy?"

"Yes, darling?"

"This was the best Christmas ever."

Scott smiled, his heart warming up. "I'm glad."