mors et salvatoris (xxx)

sorry this has a rushed ending

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lord Mortem sat on his throne, drumming his fingers on the armrest. Scott was kneeling before him, keeping his gaze averted.

"You are to find this Mitchell Grassi and bring him to me. I will kill him. If there is no Mitchell Grassi, there is no Salvator." Lord Mortem chuckled darkly, his eyes glittering dangerously. "I will finally be able to take over the world."

"Yes, my Lord," Scott murmured, bowing deeply before he left the throne room without another word.

+++

Scott watched Mitch as he went up to the counter and ordered his coffee. Scott quickly dropped his gaze when Mitch started to look around the coffee shop, pretending to be writing in a journal. In reality, he was calculating how he was going to get Mitch out of the coffee shop and into an alley where he could properly knock him out without any witnesses.

"Hey. Is there anyone sitting here?"

Scott looked up at the voice, and his eyes widened when he saw Mitch standing there, wearing a bright smile. Scott's heart skipped a beat, but he stamped it down. Lord Mortem would kill him if he found out Scott had been consorting with the enemy.

It was a moment before he realized Mitch was waiting for a response. "Oh. N-No, you're fine," Scott stammered, quickly removing his bag from the seat across from himself. A knife shifted inside it, clinking against a bottle of poison, but Mitch's smile remained bright as he took a seat.

"Thanks. Gosh, this coffee shop is so busy. I'm surprised you've managed to stay sitting alone for so long," Mitch said breathlessly, unwrapping his scarf from around his neck and placing it neatly beside himself. He shivered and rubbed his hands together in an effort to keep them warm. "It's so cold. I can't wait for my coffee."

Scott wasn't exactly sure what to say. His entire life, he'd been nothing but Lord Mortem's servant. He hadn't had any interaction with an actual human being, much less an attractive one. Scott found himself wishing he didn't have to bring Mitch to his death.

He was saved when the barista called Mitch's name. Mitch smiled that beautiful smile again and stood. "I'll be right back. Thanks again for letting me sit with you." Before Scott could respond, he was gone.

Scott's mind raced. Mitch definitely did not seem the hero type. He was too small, not enough muscle. Still, Scott supposed muscles could be hidden under his clothes, or he might depend on his powers. Scott would have to spend some more time with him to find out his weaknesses. He could only hope Lord Mortem would be patient.

When Mitch returned, he was holding his coffee with both hands, and he smiled at Scott as he slid into the booth across from him. "Do you want me to get you something? The line's died down," he offered, gesturing back at the counter. "It'll be my way of paying you back for letting me sit here."

"No, thank you. I'm good." Scott managed to smile back, and Mitch's cheeks turned red as he turned his gaze to his drink again. Scott was concerned, but he didn't dare question Mitch. He decided he'd look up the mannerisms of humans later.

"So what's your name?" Mitch asked, blushing more. He wished he wasn't so awkward. He could save the world, but as soon as one cute boy got near him, he fell apart.

"Scott." Scott nodded, glad he knew that much. "And yours?"

"Mitch," Mitch answered, peeking up at Scott again. A small smile was playing on his lips, and it was Scott's turn to blush. What was happening to him?