everything's fine

trigger warning: abuse

Scott had had a hard life. All he'd known was pain, with abusive parents and then later an abusive boyfriend. He was used to it. In fact, he had no idea anything was wrong. He thought that was just the way things were.

Mitch was his best friend. He was probably the only person to ever be nice to Scott, so the blond didn't exactly know how to feel when they first met. As time went on, though, he grew to love hanging out with Mitch because he got to watch Disney movies and cuddle. Mitch didn't know about Scott's past. No one did.

One night, Scott's boyfriend had to work late, so Scott went over to Mitch's house for a movie night. Mitch greeted him with a grin as he opened the door, and Scott shyly returned it. "Hi, Mitchy." Mitch quickly took Scott's hand and pulled him inside, then brought him over to the couch. "What movie do you want to watch?" he asked excitedly as he gathered the snacks and pillows and blankets. Scott hummed quietly in thought, subconsciously pulling his sleeves over his hands, before his entire face lit up with a smile. "Finding Nemo!!" Mitch laughed and quickly put it in, jumping back on the couch beside Scott when he finished. Scott immediately curled up and rested his head on Mitch's shoulder to watch.

About halfway through the movie, Scott's phone buzzed as he received a text. He sighed and checked it, and he subconsciously bit his lip as he read it. "I h-have to go," he said quietly, standing. Mitch frowned and reached for him. "Don't leave," he whined softly, and Scott giggled weakly as he gathered his stuff. "I'm sorry, Mitchy." He almost let it slip that his boyfriend wanted him home, but he had been told on the very first night they were together that he wasn't allowed to tell anyone about their relationship. Scott didn't understand why, but he'd never disobey.

Mitch sighed, but stood up as well and hugged Scott gently. "Bye, Scotty. I'll see you soon, okay?" Scott closed his eyes and savored Mitch's gentle touch for as long as he could. "Okay. Bye, bye." They broke apart, and Scott offered Mitch one last smile before he left.

Scott quickly made his way home, his heart jumping fearfully. He picked up his pace, hoping his boyfriend wouldn't punish him.

Meanwhile, back at Mitch's house, the brunet had turned off the movie and was now just laying on the couch, wishing Scott was there. He hadn't seen the point in finishing the movie — he'd seen in a million times anyway. It was only when he heard the angry beeping of Scott's phone did he get up, and he spotted the phone on the floor with a frown. He hesitated, glancing around se though someone might be watching, then slowly edged towards it and picked it up. A look of horror dawned on his face as he read the notifications for the messages.

John: I'm home from work you little sh*t
John: where the f*ck are you
John: I know you're there sl*t
John: answer me
John: do you want a punishment? Because that's where you're headed if you don't get your fat a** home this instant

Mitch was speechless. He'd had no idea Scott was suffering this much — by the looks of the messages, Scott was in an abusive relationship with some guy named John. His heart ached for his poor best friend, and he wished he could protect him forever. Anyone in their right mind would see Scott deserved only happiness and love and cuddles.

Mitch hesitated, chewing his lip. He was debating on whether he should text the man back and find out more, or if he should call the police now, or if he should question Scott himself the next time the boy came over. Eventually, he decided on the latter, even though he was worried out of his mind. He didn't want to make assumptions, no matter how close to the truth they seemed to be. Mitch gingerly plugged Scott's phone in and went to bed last night, but his sleep was littered with nightmares.