duty calls

"Father, please. Why do I have to get married? I don't want to be a queen!" Scott said, exasperated and angry. His father rolled his eyes. "You won't be a queen, you'll be a king. Don't argue with me on this, Scott. We need this alliance." Scott's eyes flashed and his fists clenched. "I can argue if I want! I'm only eighteen, Father! I'm being forced to marry someone I haven't even met!"

"You're lucky I even got you a boy. Besides, he's lovely. Give him a chance."

+++

Scott stood stiffly at the altar, clasping his hands together so they wouldn't be in fists. He completely ignored the wedding music that was playing as his future queen was being led down the aisle.

Mitch nervously fidgeted with his dress as he walked with his own father, peeking up at Scott. However, the blond refused to look at him. Mitch's heart fell and he looked down at his hands, quietly reciting his vows when he had to. Scott did the same, and reluctantly leaned forward to peck Mitch's lips when it required it. Applause rang through the hall as the new future king and queen were led through the castle to the room where they would be spending the night.

Immediately, Scott went into the bathroom to get ready for bed. Mitch, however, sat down on the bed, tears blurring his vision. He didn't want to cry, not wanting to seem weak, but he couldn't help it. Scott hated him. He knew they had only met that day and they were already going to spend their lives together, and he knew he should've expected it. After all, Scott was the prince of the largest country in the world. He was probably the biggest heartthrob around — practically every teenaged girl had a crush on him. But he, he was only Mitch. He was just the son of the next biggest country in the world. He was nowhere near good enough for Scott.

Scott emerged a few moments later, and Mitch quickly wiped his tears and tried to pretend like he hadn't been crying. However, Scott noticed. While he may not like Mitch, he wasn't heartless, and he was immediately concerned. "Are you okay?" Mitch sniffled and looked away, nodding a bit. "I'm fine," he answered quietly, though his voice was choked with tears. Scott frowned and sat beside him, staring at his hands. "Why are you crying?"

"I'm not crying."

"Yes, you are. Why?"

Mitch sniffled again, but he couldn't help the tears from flowing down his cheeks once more. "I'm s-sorry, it's just that... You don't like me."

Scott sighed. "It's not you, Mitch. I just hate that we had to get married without even meeting first. I'm almost positive I would've fallen in love with you had I gotten the chance to get to know you first, and I'm sure it won't take me long now, but still."

"I'm sorry," Mitch whispered, but Scott just shook his head. "It's not your fault. Here, do you need help getting out of your dress? You look very pretty, by the way." Mitch blushed and subconsciously wrapped his arms around himself, standing. "Thank you. And help would be nice," he whispered softly. Scott nodded and stood as well, carefully unzipping Mitch's dress and letting it fall off his shoulders. It pooled around his feet, leaving Mitch in only boxers. Scott accidentally stared, his eyes trailing up and down Mitch's body. The smaller boy blushed deeply and simply let it happen, wrapping his arms around himself and staring at the floor to hide his embarrassment.

Eventually, Scott realized what he was doing was wrong and he quickly looked away. Mitch breathed a soft sigh of relief and quickly changed into the sleeping clothes he had been provided — only a large t-shirt, unfortunately — before hanging up his dress. He too went into the bathroom to finish getting ready to sleep, and when he emerged, Scott was laying in bed. Mitch kept his eyes averted as he crawled in bed beside him, leaving a considerable amount of space between them. The pair laid in silence, though they both knew neither was asleep.

"Mitch?"

"Yeah?"

"Can... Can I hold you?"

Mitch hesitated, glancing over at Scott, before he slowly moved into his arms. The other boy gingerly wrapped his arms around Mitch as though scared he'd break him. "Goodness, you're small," Scott whispered, and Mitch blushed slightly, glancing up at him. "S-Sorry." Scott shook his head quickly, staring down at his new husband in wonder. "No, no, it's nothing to be sorry about. It's just... I feel like I'll crush you if I hold you too tightly." Mitch blushed more, but he couldn't keep the small smile from creeping onto his lips. "No, you won't crush me," he said softly, looking up at him again.

"Are you sure?"

"Yes, Scott. I'm sure."

"How is it even possible? Do you eat at all?"

Mitch giggled quietly and nodded. "Yes."

Scott smiled at the sound and pulled Mitch closer. "You're really adorable. Has anyone told you?" Mitch blushed and shook his head. "No..." Scott smiled wider and brushed Mitch's hair out of his eyes, admiring him. "Well, you are," he said softly. "Adorable and absolutely gorgeous. How old are you again?"

"S-Seventeen..."

"Seventeen? I thought I was young..."

Mitch shrugged a bit and closed his eyes, leaning his head against Scott's chest. "Duty calls."

"What do you mean?"

"Our parents made us get married to form an alliance. If we weren't the sons of the kings and queens, we wouldn't have had to get married so young."

"That's true."

"Yep. I don't mind, though. I get to spend the rest of my life with the boy every teenaged girl dreams about," Mitch whispered, blushing. Scott smiled and kissed his hair. "You're not so bad yourself. If I were just an average girl in your kingdom, I'd probably have a crush on you too." Mitch blushed even more and opened his eyes to look up at him. "You're the exact opposite of an average girl. You're the prince. You're the most desirable bachelor. Or, you were, anyway. I bet I'll be the most hated queen, just because I stole you away." Scott frowned slightly and brushed his hair out of his eyes again, shaking his head. "Don't say that. You're absolutely lovely, everyone will adore you," he said quietly. "Thank you," Mitch whispered back, even though he didn't believe him.

The pair was silent again. Mitch closed his eyes again and simply savored the feeling of being held, and Scott relished having someone in his arms. He knew that he didn't love Mitch yet, but he knew for sure he would eventually.

Maybe this wouldn't be so bad.