ford '05 mustang

Mitch was doing his homework at his desk, dressed in a large t-shirt and boxers, when he heard something hit his window. He jumped and looked over, but relief washed over him when he saw Scott and hurried over to open the window. "What are you doing here?" he hissed, even as he moved aside to let Scott climb in. "I had to see you," Scott murmured, smiling widely down at him. Mitch's frown quickly melted into a smile, and he hugged him gently. "My parents are downstairs." Scott chuckled and nodded, hugging him back. "I want to take you somewhere," he said softly, and Mitch giggled and nodded. "Okay."

Soon, Mitch was in Scott's Ford '05 Mustang, singing along to the radio. Scott was singing just as loudly, and his focus was only half on the road, as he was staring at his beautiful best friend.

They drove to their favorite spot, and Mitch eagerly climbed out onto the hood of the car, Scott joining quickly. They stared up at the stars, completely content together. "I love coming here with you," Mitch murmured, and Scott worked up the courage to reach over and take his hand. "Me too." Mitch looked over to meet his eyes, and Scott swore he saw him blush before he turned away. "I just... When I'm here with you, I feel like I'm safe. I don't have to worry about school, or homework, or girls... When I'm here with you, all my insecurities melt away." Mitch spoke softly, trying to distract himself from his racing heart. Scott frowned slightly and tried to meet Mitch's eyes. "Insecurities?"

"Yeah."

"What kind of insecurities?"

"you know. How I'm annoying, and how secretly no one likes me, and how I'm ugly and stupid and—"

Scott kissed him to cut him off, unable to bear hearing Mitch talk so badly about himself. Mitch's eyes widened and his entire bod tensed, so Scott panicked and pulled away, terrified he'd just ruined everything. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have done that," he rushed out, his heart pounding and his hands starting to shake. "Please don't hate me. We can just- We can just pretend it never happened." Scott's throat closed up with tears when Mitch didn't say anything, his face feeling uncomfortably hot. "I'm sorry," he croaked, starting to get up so he could cry in peace. However, Mitch reached out and took his wrist, and Scott flinched slightly at his touch. "Why'd you kiss me?" Mitch asked quietly.

"I couldn't stand to hear you talk about yourself like that. It was the only way I could think of to stop you. I'm sorry, I should've asked—"

"Is that the only reason?"

Scot's face flushed even more, and he avoided Mitch's eyes, certain he'd see disgust and blatant rejection. "I like you. Like, like like you," he whispered, almost as though he was ashamed. "I'm sorry. I know I shouldn't. You're probably not even gay. Oh, God, I ruined everything." Hot tears began to flow down Scott's cheeks, no matter how hard he tried to stop them. He yelled at himself even more viciously, tearing himself apart piece by piece by godforsaken piece. He was stupid. So, so stupid. How could he allow himself to think, even for a minute, one measly second, that Mitch would like him back? He wasn't good enough for him. He was stupid, stupid, stupid

All of Scott's thoughts ended abruptly when he felt Mitch's soft, warm lips against his own.  That was what Mitch did to him. He made his mind quiet, his heart beat out of his chest and pound so loudly he was always paranoid Mitch would hear. Mitch could light Scott's skin afire with the slightest touch and keep him up all night, dancing on the edge of his thoughts. Scott had never felt this way about anyone. Ever. Not even Emily Johnson, the pretty girl he was positive he was in love with in first grade, or Brittney Goodwin, his date to the fifth grade dance. Scott was pretty sure he was losing his mind.

Mitch slowly pulled away and offered him a small smile. "I could practically hear you tearing yourself apart," he said quietly. Scott blushed and glanced up at him, but he couldn't bear to hold eye contact. Mitch softened and scooted closer to him, setting a comforting hand on Scott's thigh. "It's okay. I like you too." Scott's heart jerked hopefully, but he refused to allow his hopes to rise. "You're just saying that," he whispered hoarsely. "I'm fine. You don't have to be with me just to be nice." Mitch shook his head and placed his small hand on Scott's jaw, tilting his head so he had to look at him. "No, Scotty. When you kissed me, I was just surprised. I wasn't expecting it, is all. I promise, I do like you. I have for a while." Scott blushed and finally managed to meet Mitch's eyes. "Really?" he whispered timidly, and Mitch smiled and nodded. He leaned in and kissed him gently, and Scott felt like his heart was going to beat out of his chest. He gingerly kissed back, reaching up to cup Mitch's cheek. He couldn't believe that he was kissing his best friend.