home to you

i'm gonna write one where mitch is coming home from the war because #mitchtops2k16

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mitch forced his way through the crowded airport, holding his bag tightly and ignoring the limp in his right leg. He wanted to hurry up and get home — he missed Scott so badly, a huge, gaping hole in his chest that the blond used to fill. Mitch hurriedly told the taxi driver where he lived and traced Scott's name into the upholstery, his heart thumping loudly in his chest as they neared his house.

Meanwhile, Scott was sitting alone at the kitchen table, his tongue out in concentration as he drew a picture with crayons. Kevin was in the other room, working on a song. The Christmas tree glittered in the corner.

Mitch hurriedly paid the driver and scrambled out of the taxi, though he paused with a hiss as pain flared in his leg. However, he quickly forced it aside and rushed up the steps, knocking frantically on the door. Scott looked up and glanced back at where Kevin was coming out of the room, and the other man smiled at him as he opened the door.

Mitch smiled tiredly up at Kevin, but he was secretly worried that something had happened to Scott. "Hi, Kev." Kevin grinned as he recognized him. "Mitch! You're back!" Mitch nodded distractedly and tried to look over Kevin's shoulder. "Yeah. Is Scott there?" he asked quietly, and Kevin grinned wider as he moved aside.

Scott was standing with his hand over his mouth, tears silently rolling down his cheeks. Disbelief was etched all over his face — Mitch was finally home. Mitch smiled at him, sniffling as tears of his own began to flow. Wordlessly, he opened his arms, and Scott immediately rushed into them with a loud sob. "Mommy... You're h-h-here..." Mitch closed his eyes against the tears and hugged him back even tighter, leaning his head against Scott's chest. "Yes, baby. I'm home," he whispered, his voice breaking on the last word. Scott sobbed louder and buried his face in Mitch's hair, squeezing him tighter. "I love you so much."

"I love you too, darling." Mitch sniffled and forced himself to pull away slightly so he could look up at him. "Scottie?"

"Y-Yes, Mommy?"

"Tell me why you were put in rehab."

Scott whimpered and held him tighter. "I'm sorry, Mommy..."

"It's okay, sweetheart. You're not in trouble. Just tell me why."

"I missed you, Momma," Scott whispered barely audibly, and Mitch felt his heart break, leading Scott inside and pulling him down on the couch. "I'm sorry I was gone so long, baby. I hope you know I would've come home if I could." Kevin wordlessly closed the door and left to give them some privacy. "I know, Mommy. I tried not to, b-but I..." Scott trailed off, sniffling and burying his face in Mitch's neck. Mitch swallowed the lump in his throat and closed his eyes, leaning his head against Scott's. "It's okay, baby. I love you so much."

"I love you too, Momma."

"Merry Christmas, sweetheart."

"Merry Christmas, Mommy."