i need you

trigger warning: mentions of suicide and self-harm

Scott was in his room at the rehabilitation center. A stuffed cat that Mitch had given him before he left was clutched in his arms, and he stared at the TV with sad eyes as it played Spongebob. The television was set to the highest volume setting it had to drown out the sounds of the other patients laughing and talking as they went down to visitation. No one ever came to visit Scott.

The blond was dressed in a large sweatshirt of Mitch's that concealed the bright white bandages on his arms, and his legs were covered with a pair of sweatpants that the hospital had given him. His eyes were their usual blue, but instead of the bright, happy color they usually were, they were dulled and sad.

You see, his husband had been drafted for the army. The boy had been gone for a year when Scott couldn't take it anymore and tried to commit suicide, but unfortunately for him, the neighbors called 911 and he was taken to the hospital. Mitch had tried to come home, but they didn't let him, so Scott was sent to rehab. He'd been there for two years — it would've been shorter, but he hurt himself sometimes in the bathroom.

Mitch raced up to the front desk of New Hopes Rehabilitation Center, still in his army uniform and clutching his bag. "Hi. Can I see Scott Grassi-Hoying?" he rushed out, and the receptionist smiled and nodded as she began typing in his computer. "Of course. What is your relation to the patient?" she asked. "I'm his husband," Mitch answered quickly, impatiently drumming his fingers on the counter. "Alright," the receptionist said kindly, "go into the visitation room. I'll send him in." Mitch smiled gratefully and thanked her, then rushed off to obey.

The receptionist got up and walked to Scott's door, knocking softly on the door. "Scott?" Scott sniffled and held the cat tighter as he slowly got up and opened the door. The receptionist offered him a small smile. "You have a visitor." Scott didn't really believe her, but he followed her to the visitation room and timidly walked inside.

At first, he didn't see anyone he knew. He held his cat closer like it could protect him from the other patients and shrunk into himself, his heart beating loudly on his chest with fear.

"Princess?"

Scott whirled around at the voice, his eyes widening as he saw Mitch standing there. He was so surprised he couldn't move. Mitch smiled gently and took a step closer. "Hi, darling." Almost immediately, tears filled Scott's eyes and he rushed into Mitch's arms, sobbing into his neck. "Y-You're home..." Mitch stumbled back slightly, but he quickly gathered his balance and hugged Scott back tightly. "Yes, baby girl. I'm home." He gently led them back to sit down on a bench, and Scott curled up in his lap, desperately pushing himself closer. "I th-th-thought you l-left m-me..." he sobbed, and Mitch frowned, shaking his head as he massaged the back of Scott's neck. "Of course not, my angel. I'd never leave you."

Scott whimpered and pressed himself closer, scared to let go of him lest he disappear again. Mitch held Scott tightly and ran his hand comfortingly along his back, a string of soothing words leaving his lips. "Shh. It's okay. I'm home now, I got you. I'm not leaving you again." Scott sobbed into Mitch's army jacket, on the verge of completely falling apart. He'd needed Mitch so much the past few years, and even though he hadn't been there, his absence had just made Scott need him even more. He was almost positive he would not survive if Mitch had to leave again, even if it was just to go home for the night.

"Y-You promise you w-w-won't l-leave m-me?" Scott sobbed, peeking up at him through his tears. Mitch sighed and kissed away his tears, rubbing comforting circles into his back. "Baby, you can't come home yet. Until you're released, I can't stay here with you. I'll visit you every day, I promise." Scott whimpered and frantically shook his head, trembling hands reaching up to grip Mitch's collar. "N-No, Momma, y-you can't leave me again. I- I need you," he sobbed, his tears flowing faster. Mitch felt his heart crack in his chest, and he gently took Scott's face in his hands, brushing away his tears. "I'm so sorry, baby girl. But you can't leave until you've been released and I don't think they'll let me stay here. I need to go home."