kiss cam

the ending is awkward and it annoys me that the paragraphs are all close to the same length but it's fiiiinnnnneeeee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mitch was bored. He'd been at this baseball game for an hour already, and it was only the second inning. Why on earth had he agreed to come?

His father sat beside him, eagerly watching the game. "Come on, come on! Go!" Mike yelled, and he cheered with the rest of the stadium when one of the players scored a point. Mitch just sighed and tried to pay attention, even though he had no idea what was going on.

The only good thing about this afternoon out with his father was the hot man sitting beside Mitch on his other side. He seemed bored too if his gaze on his phone was anything to go by. Just like Mitch, the woman beside him was cheering and screaming with the rest of the crowd, so Mitch figured he'd been dragged there just like he had. Mitch didn't know much about baseball, but he did know that he'd let that man slide into his home plate any day.

Still, Mitch kept his thoughts to himself. He didn't like to assume things based purely on looks, but the man definitely seemed pretty straight to him. Most guys he liked were straight, so he didn't want to get his hopes up.

Mitch went back to his phone, remembering that it was rude to stare. However, he looked up again at the sound of cheers in his area, and he was surprised when he saw the man beside him and his presumed date on the kiss cam. The man hadn't noticed, but the woman nudged him hard to get his attention. She was grinning, clearly amused. When the man saw himself on the kiss cam with his lady friend, his eyes widened in what Mitch thought to be panic. Mitch briefly wondered why — the woman was definitely attractive, if he were straight he'd probably be flirting up a storm — until all of his thoughts were cut off when the man tilted his head over and pressed their lips together.

Mixed reactions of surprise and disgust rippled throughout the stadium as the camera adjusted to see whom the man had kissed. Mitch was obviously surprised, but he quickly melted into the kiss and kissed back, his eyes drooping closed. He could hear the laughter of the woman and the cheers of his father, but he ignored them.

When they broke apart, the man offered Mitch a sheepish smile. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to make you uncomfortable. They just put me on the kiss cam with my best friend, and I love her, don't get me wrong, but I'm quite gay and you're quite beautiful."

Mitch blushed and smiled back, subconsciously biting his lip. "Oh, I'm certainly not complaining. This boring game suddenly got a whole lot more interesting."

The man laughed. "I'm Scott. Scott Hoying."

Mitch offered Scott his hand. "Mitch Grassi."

Scott shook Mitch's hand, still smiling. "What do you say we go get a drink? Maybe by the time we get back this inning will finally be over."

It was Mitch's turn to laugh, and his cheeks dusted pink as he quickly nodded. "Yeah, okay. That sounds great."

"Now, Mitchell," Mike said seriously from his spot on Mitch's other side, "make sure you're back by the fifth inning. I don't want you getting drunk, okay?"

Mitch rolled his eyes, even as his blush deepened. "Dad, I'm twenty-five."

"I don't care. No getting drunk."

"I'll have him back by the fifth inning, sir," Scott said quickly before Mitch could protest again, amusement clearly in his voice. Mitch muttered to himself as Scott led him away, not even seeing the wink Scott's friend sent him.

"Sorry about my dad. He was a cockblock when I was in high school, and he's apparently a cockblock now," Mitch grumbled, and Scott burst into laughter. Despite himself, Mitch started to smile, proud of himself for getting Scott to laugh.