when the day met the night

yeah the song by panic! at the disco is pretty gr8

i would give it to you but there's no official video so just look it up

also ten thousand reads why

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

trigger warning: mentions of self-harm, neglect, suicide, and rape

Mitch was a loner. He never talked to anybody, nobody talked to him. He never smiled, and his skin was littered with tattoos. He wore all black to school every day, and he kept his arms and legs covered at all times, even if it was in the summer. People whispered about him behind his back, about how he was depressed and cutting his skin, and how his parents left him when he was young and he'd been living alone ever since. Mitch didn't say anything to stop the rumors, but then again, he never said anything at all.

Scott was the opposite. He was a literal ray of sunshine, making people smile at every chance he got. He wore bright-colored clothes to school every day, even though he still kept his arms covered. Scott was friends with everyone, except Mitch. He wanted to find out more about the mysterious loner of the school, no matter how many times he was warned by basically everyone that Mitch was dangerous.

One day, Scott finally worked up the courage to talk to Mitch in his English class. They were starting a new project, and Scott wanted to ask Mitch to join his group. His other group members told him not to frantically, but Scott ignored them and breezed over to Mitch's seat in the back of the classroom, a bright smile on his lips. "Hi! Mitch, right?" Mitch jumped and quickly looked up, his eyes wide with what looked like fear. However, before Scott could put his finger on that, it was gone, and Mitch was emotionless once more. He just stared back at Scott, not saying a word. Scott faltered a bit, but he brightened his smile and rushed on, "I'm Scott, and I was wondering if you'd like to join my group." Mitch shook his head and tried to go back to whatever he was doing before, but Scott wasn't going to give up that easily. He quickly picked up the paper and held it away from Mitch, even though he didn't look at it. Mitch looked up again, but this time a frown was on his lips. "Give it back," he said quietly, trying to grab it. Scott grinned widely when he spoke, letting Mitch take it. "I love your voice! It's so pretty!" Mitch didn't talk again, keeping his gaze on his paper to hide his blush. "So? Will you join my group?" Scott asked eagerly, much more excited — he was probably the only person in the whole school who had gotten Mitch to speak to him. Mitch shook his head again and didn't look up. Scott frowned, subconsciously glancing back at his group. "Why not?"

"I bet you only want me so you can make up rumors that I raped one of you or something," Mitch spat, his voice turning cold. Scott's eyes widened and he shook his head, taking a step back. "N-No, that's not true. I want to be friends." Mitch shook his head, his eyes darkening. "Leave me alone like everyone else. I'm dangerous." Scott didn't know what to say — he'd never been rejected before. "O-Okay. I'm s-sorry." Mitch scoffed quietly, shaking his head. "Oh, I'm sure. Just leave me alone," he muttered, turning his attention back to his work. Scott opened his mouth to say something, but he decided against it, hurrying back to his table and blinking back his tears. His group members frowned, and his best friend rubbed his back. "This is why everyone stays away," she said gently, but it didn't help. Scott furiously rubbed his eyes so he wouldn't cry and shook his head. "Whatever. Let's just work."

+++

As the days passed, Scott continued to try to get closer to Mitch. The mysterious boy had stopped trying to get Scott to leave him alone, but he still didn't speak to him very much, simply listening silently to the blond as he ranted about anything and everything. Mitch could feel himself falling for him, no matter how much he tried to stop it.