fanfiction

Scott sat in his bed, his laptop open on his lap. Words lined the screen, and Scott read quickly, his breathing quick and fast and his eyes shining with threatening tears.

He was reading a scömìche fanfiction, like he usually did when Mitch was with another one of his boyfriends. However, while he usually picked cute and happy ones, this time he had made the mistake of picking a sad one.

In the fanfiction, Mitch just died. Scott struggled to convince himself that it really was only a fanfiction and Mitch was alive and well downstairs, but he failed. He couldn't help but come up with unrealistic scenarios where Mitch died and Scott didn't ever have the chance to say how much he loved him.

Scott's breathing hitched and his tears streamed down. He let out a small sob, but stuffed his hand in his mouth to hold back any more. He tried to stop crying, furiously wiping away his tears, but they kept coming faster than ever and eventually Scott snapped with another sob and he rushed out of the room.

Mitch was laughing at something the guy he had brought home said when Scott came rushing into the room, collapsing in Mitch's arms and sobbing loudly. Mitch jumped, but frowned worriedly when he realized who it was, wrapping his arms around his best friend. "Oh my God, Scott, what's wrong?" Scott shook his head quickly and sobbed almost violently, burying his face in Mitch's neck. "You're okay, you're okay, you're okay..." he whimpered, clutching at Mitch's shirt desperately and moving closer to him. Mitch frowned more and bit his lip worriedly, nodding slowly. "Yes, Scottie. I'm okay. Are you? What's wrong?" he asked softly, and Scott shook his head again, clutching onto him tighter. "You're okay, you're okay, you're okay," he sobbed.

Mitch bit his lip harder and lifted Scott's head up so the blond was forced to look into the brunet's eyes. "Scottie, baby, what's wrong? Please talk to me..." he murmured, searching the blue depths. "I- I h-h-had a ni-ightm-mare," Scott lied, sobbing quieter and wrapping his arms around Mitch's neck so he could press himself completely against him. Mitch frowned and held him gently, brushing away his tears.

"Aw... Wanna talk about it?"

"Hey, um, I'm still here?" Scott tensed at the other voice and held Mitch tighter, terrified he was going to be taken away. Annoyance flashed in Mitch's eyes and he looked up at the man next to him. "Okay? My best friend is upset and way more important than you are right now. Please be patient." He glanced down at Scott and softened. "Scottie?" His voice was noticeably more kind and gentle and caring. "Do you want to talk about it?"

"Y-You died-d."

Mitch blinked, not registering at first what the blond said. "I died?"

"Yes." The word was a sob, and Scott clung tighter onto the brunet.

Mitch frowned, Scott's words sinking in, and gently brushed Scott's tears again. "It's okay, Scottie. I'm not going to die. I'm alive and I'm safe and I'm here, I got you. It's okay." Scott sobbed hoarsely and leaned into his touch, closing his eyes against his tears.

"Can't you tell your friend to suck it up? I'm getting tired of hearing his blubbering," the man's voice from earlier said loudly, and Scott flinched, hiding his face in Mitch's neck. Mitch scoffed quietly and gently pushed Scott off, forcing himself to ignore the blind's whimper. The man rolled his eyes and smiled. "Finally." Mitch pulled him up by the collar, leading him over to the door and shoving him out. "And stay out," he snapped, slamming the door.

Scott immediately sobbed hoarsely and scrambled up to attack Mitch in another hug. Mitch smiled sadly and hugged him back. "It's okay, Scottie."

"I'm s-s-sorry for r-ruining y-your da-ate," Scott whispered, holding him tighter. Mitch shook his head, rubbing Scott's back. "It's okay, baby. If he doesn't see that you're my first priority, then he has to go." Scott sniffled and buried his face in Mitch's neck. "I love you," he whispered, hoping Mitch didn't realize he meant it non-platonically too. Mitch smiled obliviously and closed his eyes, resting his head against Scott's chest. "I love you too, Scottie."