Forty One

Mark had left. Jack was probably asleep by now. And I had been holding tears back for the past hour.

Everything that came before Mark and Jack and everyone was flooding back. Every time I got hit, or Jamie got hit, or anytime I defended Jamie and got hit.

I started to cry. My tears flew out, and landed on Jacks arm. I tried to pull away from him, but his grasp tightened. Tears fell faster, and before I knew it, I was curling into a ball, probably making sobbing noises. I needed to stop so Jack didn't get up and be mad at me. But, I couldn't. Jack has been so patient with me, and I've been horrible to him.

"Sophia?" I heard his voice mummer. "What's wrong?" I just turn around, and hug him.

"N-nothings wrong, Jack, go back to sleep," I say. His fingers pushed my chin up, so now I was facing him. I didn't resist, in fear he might hurt me.

"There's something definitely wrong. What's wrong?" I shake my head.

"Go to sleep, Jack," I say, and try pulling away. His grip tightened.

"Are you upset about the baby?" I shake my head, and bite my lip. More tears fell. "Talk to me. What's wrong?" I shook my head. "Sophia, please talk to me. I need to know what's wrong so I can fix it.."

"Jack, you should go back to sleep," I say. Shit. I was talking back. "I-if you want to."

"What's wrong?" He demands, fully sitting up. I turned away from him.

"I'm g-going to slee-"

"No, you're not. What's wrong?" He asks again, grabbing my arms and pulling me up so I was sitting across from him.

"I-it honestly doesn't matter," I say, and smile sweetly. "Lets just sleep."

"Not until you tell me why you're upset," he says, and crosses his arms.

"I-I.." I trailed off.. how do I explain this without getting hurt? "I.. I know I've been acting like a horrible person to you. I've talked back, and I know my opinion has been waved around to much, a-and I know how patient you've been with me-" his face showed pure confusion. "-and I'm going to change, j-just please don't start hurting me," I begged, tears falling from my face at a fast rate.

"What?" He says, "Woah. Hold on. What do you mean? You've been amazing, and talking back? Stating to much of your opinion, baby what's this about? And I would never hurt you," he adds. He reaches for me, and I let him. Better to let him hurt me now, then worse later.

But, to my surprise, he held me. He didn't hurt me, he held me. And I started to cry.

"M-my dad always hit me when I didn't listen. Like if I talked to much, o-or if I talked back, and he did the same to my mom.. I forgot about it for the longest time, but Jack, Sean, I promise I'll be better. I won't talk so much, I want state my opinion, and I won't talk back, I promise I'll try.. but please don't hurt me," my tears feel hard, and I let out another sob, and hugged him tightly.

"Sophie, woah. Y-you really think that I think that way? I love you, so much. Don't you dare change. And you never talk to much. I love your opinion. And talking back? You don't, and even if you did, I'd love you to much to give a fucking shit. And hurting you?" He made me face him, and I could see tears falling. "I can't. I could never touch you in a way that would cause you harm. Baby, I love you.. I love you so much.." he kissed my lips, and pulled away, only to reattach them. "I love you. You've always acted the way you should, and I wouldn't trade you in for the world. Do you hear what I'm saying? Don't you dare change, promise?" I looked up at him, and wiped my own tears away.

"Promise.." Promise I'll try harder to be the person you deserve.

"And, our baby will be just as perfect as you."