Sixty Six

Me and Dan started for the gate.

Rob ran over, and stopped us.

"What are you doing?" He asks. I shook my head.

"We're taking out Negan." Dan pulled me with him, away from Rob.

***

"I wanna take the shot," I say as we headed for Negan's group. He nodded.

"We'll stay up in a tower. You can take the shot there," he says.

After awhile, the tower came into view.

We ran in, and closed the metal door harshly. My gun went up, and we walked for the top

We got there, and opened a window.

"We wait," Dan says. "Until he comes out. He has to eventually." I nodded.

We were quiet for a bit, until he spoke up.

"How did you and Jack meet?" He asks.

"I found their group. It was only him, Mark, and another guy named Wade. Nate and them were all caught by someone, and Jack got them free," I replied. He nods, and looks down.

"I miss Phil..." he says. "And if he doesn't come out, we go in."

"No. If we go in... you know what happened to Phil and Mat.."

"With or without you, I'm going in," he says. I sighed, looking through the scope.

"It wasn't Phil's time.." I said. He nodded.

"I know..." he said, and wiped his eyes.

"Phil honestly didn't deserve it.. it was my time, not either of theirs. If Negan could have just-"

"Woah- it's not your fault!" Dan says. I looked away.

"Maybe not Phil, but definitely Mat.."

"No, that wasn't your fault.." he says. I shrugged, and looked through the scope.

"There he is..." I mumbled, aiming. Dan walked besides me, and looked. Someone was in my way. I couldn't get a clear shot.. damn..

He started to walk inside.

"Damn it!" I yelled once he was back inside. Dan looked at me, and motioned for me to follow.

"Alright, guess we're going inside," he says. I nodded, and sighed.

"Great.. I hope we make it out.. his group seems big.." I say. Dan nods.

"We'll cut holes- one in where the walkers are-"

"Walkers?" I echoed. He shrugged.

"Sounds cooler then rotters," he replied, climbing down the stairs. "Anyways, we'll distract them with a flare. I have a few. And we'll cut a hole in where they are, and leave it open. Then we'll cut another hole in the fence leading there. If any stray, you kill them as I work on the hole, ok?" He says. I nodded.

We ran for the fence.

Dan grabbed a flare out. He reached around for a lighter.

"Damn. Can you reach in the bag?" He whispered. I nodded, and looked for one.

I found it, and handed it over. He nods, and throws it far away from us.

The walkers go after it, and Dan grabs the pliers.

"Ok... this won't take long..." he mumbled, and cut the first part of the fence. After a few moments, he finished cutting it. He grabbed the back, and went through. I followed, and squeezed through. A feeling of fear lingered in my stomach as the walkers gathered around the flare.

"Light another.." I whispered. He nodded, and took out another one. He lit it, and threw it close to the old one.

We ran, and reached the fence leading into the other side.

Ontop of the fence was barbed wire.

"Jesus. Over protection much?" I say. Dan looks up, and chuckled.

He cut the fence, and looked at me.

"Hand me the rope. I'll start mending it from the other side, and you set off another flare? I'll leave you enough room, don't worry." I nodded, and tossed him the rope. I turned away, and looked for the bag.

"Its on the ground. Look for it," I hear him say. I nodded, and dropped to my knees.

I heard a click behind me. I turned to face Dan. He had the bag, and the fence was completely shut. He tied the end to his knife, and stuck it in the ground far enough away that I couldn't reach it.

"Go. Go home to Jack. Enjoy the time you have left with him. And hurry," he says. I looked at him.

"Dan, no. Let me in, now."

"It's not your time," he says, and takes off running for the building.

"Dan!" I screeched, grabbing the fence. I shook it a few times.

Go home to Jack. Enjoy the time you have left with him.

I ran from the fence, and ducked through the other broken fence.

Once I was outside the walls, I broke in tears. I dropped to my knees.

"No..." I mummerd. I felt more tears fall. I threw my knife it front of me, and let out a sob. He was going to die. He wanted me to get distracted, so he could block me out.

"Sophia...?"