Chapter 41: Shadow of Naginata Blades

"Soma! Where are you?!" the seven year old Saito Hajime was running wildly around the bamboo forest. That day, rain poured uncontrollably as the ash grey clouds bear fruit of the bitter loud sound of thunder and lightning scintillate over the grieving sky. He doesnt care at all, Soma is only in his mind. The uneasiness he felt increased once more as he panicked over.

He helplessly gripped unto a tree branch as his nails dug by its wooden flesh. "Aunty!" Soma cried nearby, upon hearing his sister's scream, he did not waste any time and rushed at the direction.

There, the five year old Soma is standing nearby a tree while a body is lying flat on the drenched ground. Saito saw a young tiger biting the corpse and he still knew who that dead person is. It was his aunt Tori, she was an onna bugeisha but now, only a useless dead body. The naginata Tori have used is in Soma's grasp. Her face was stained by blooming red blood while her usual cheerful dark eyes went misty as she dazedly watched the young tiger consume her aunt.

Saito stealthily walked behind the bamboos until he reached Soma but she screamed in fright. The tiger drew its attention to the children who were anxious. It slowly charged towards them when Soma used all force in yield the naginata as it dug unto the tiger's head. Even Saito was surprised how skillful his sister is.

Another thunder roared upon the dropping rain. Saito woke up from his sleep to find he's inside Soma's room. He leaned on the aged wooden pillar for support then looked blankly at the ceiling. That dream is still haunting him.

After that incident twelve years ago, he marked his oath to protect his family especially his sister.

"Oniisan......" Soma whispered whilst her sleep as she shivered from the cold air. Saito slowly stood up and went to the door. What he is unaware of, Yun Ren Xie have woken up. She doesnt know why but her heart felt disappointed, closing her eyes once more for another sleep when she felt her body getting warm.

Yun Ren Xie knew that Saito have come back and gave her another layer of quilt. She still remember when she first came here, Saito told her there are only two quilts available. She is thankful how Saito favors and treasured his sister so much.

Saito did not move from his spot after giving his quilt to his sister. He stared at Soma, noticing how fair her skin is, how thick and long her lashes were, her nose is very perfect and those pink plump petal like lips. He knew how perfect his sister is in any angle, he also knew how fragile she is. Saito wanted to protect Soma from the cruel world and satisfy her in any means.

Slowly, he unconsciously touched Soma's lips which made him shock. How can he do such brazen thing to his sister! They were siblings! Saito quickly retracted his hand and left the room with a flustered appearance.

Yun Ren Xie is also shaken by Saito's action, she was his sister!

The next morning, Saito left the yard earlier than she expected. She waited for him during meal but he never came until dinner. Yun Ren Xie went fast asleep and Ishi dont know what to do to her miss. The same thing happened after two days while Shadow's issue became the hot topic of Japan. Shadow is out of sight and believed to have angered by the Bakufu.

The third night, Saito came home earlier. The past few days, he have been avoiding his sister but now that he saw how Soma is sleeping in the dining room, he felt guilty.

"Ah! Young Master Saito!" Ishi bowed deeply when she saw Saito getting inside.

He did not answer and placed his sword at the corner. Saito slowly lifted his sister in a gentle way as he took her inside her room. After laying Soma on her bed, Saito pulled the quilt and covered his sister.

However, he seemed discontented. Staring gently at his sister, he cant understand what sort of emotion is this. His heart beating wildly, thoughts getting more perplex as Saito kept picturing the smiling Soma calling him. But what can Soma call him? Brother? Yes, they were siblings of the same blood after all.

Of the same blood......

"Toushirou......" Soma suddenly spoke from her dream. Saito heard it.

He unconsciously clenched his fist and in fit of anger, Saito left the room. Ishi who is about to close the door saw Saito striding towards it. She stood at the corner while her head lowered.

Yet Saito stopped in front of her.

"Ishi, you've been serving Soma for a long time now. Have you..... seen her with a man before?" Ishi was shocked on how gentle her young master questioned her. It was said back then inside the family estate that Saito was arrogant and cold but looking at him right now, it was opposite from within his inner self.

"What does young master means?"

"Soma, is she with Hijikita whenever she go out?" he still did not give up. Why is he even bothering this little maid for this sort of queerie in his mind?

Ishi shakes her head but thought of some few events she witnessed with her young miss from arriving here in Kyoto. "But miss Soma seemed to be intimate with mister Souji. He is so gentle to miss Soma and always there to help her! I think they are a good pair of couple!" Ishi dreamily said with admiration flashing clearly from her amber eyes.

What she doesnt know, Saito started to feel down once more. When did Souji and Soma started to see each other? How did they first met? Did Soma formed a feeling for Souji?

Saito insensibly clutched his heart, a deep sensation of pain and grief welled up. What is this feeling? Why is he even saddened about it? He suddenly remember when Hijikita once talked to him in the past....

"Souji, Saito, Kondo, do you know why Im being like this?" Hijikita asked three of them. It was the new year's eve and even Kondo Isami is with them. They are on top of an inn's roof while drinking wine and enjoying the calm atmosphere.

"Eh? Like what?" Kondo responsed in a question.

"Why Im feeling a bit sad whenever I see Okoto with another guy! I cant really understand myself now! Am I sick?" clearly, he is drunk from the wine. Hijikita rarely speak about his self which is understandable by Souji and Saito however, right now, the oni no fukucho who is always mysterious is talking about how he feels.

"Its better to let a physician check vice commander." Saito is also a bit drunk but still sober, he values how Hijikita treasured them as his brother so of course he needs to give him a piece of advice but, what does Hijikita means? Getting a bit sad about a woman being with another man?

Kondo broke out laughing hard. He still can think straight albeit his state of being drunk. "Souji! Tell me what can you say about Hijikita's problem." he said with a smile on his face, reaching both his ears.

"Vice Commander might be mentally retarded. You've been with many women from your youth yet this is the first time you feel sad about them." Souji shamelessly answered which made Kondo laugh once more. "Mister Kondo! I still have something to say! I also experienced that with Nakano but when I came to a physician, he said Im not sick! What a big lie!" drunken men do spout nonsence.

Saito just watched them while Kondo is laughing hard. What is funny? "Idiot! That is what we call taking a liking to someone! You retards do cant know any better!"