Chapter 52: Shadow of Naginata Blade

Yun Ren Xie woke up from a terrible dream. Sweat trickled down her forehead as her eyes stared wide around the familiar ancient Chinese home. "Where.... where am I?" she whispered. In her dream, a man in all white hair killed her with a dark sharp blade, her dissected body eaten by wolves and soul being resurrected for another painful lifetime.

She remembered now, this place is Asami's home built by her aspiring nature heirarchy. There is only two rooms built in one courtyard and she along with Asami shared the other room. Right beside her is the silent Asami, sleeping with peace.

Her dream of being tortured even after death is like another story of Asami's pain as Diqiu Dizi. Worries filled her, what if she cant complete her missions and sent to a high leveled plane? What if she failed? Will she suffer like Dizi?

In her anxiousness, she stood up and took a cloak behind the closet. Sliding the door open, she stealthily left the room and decided to rest outside when she suddenly saw a person on the pavillion.

With the side view, she can see the purple eye staring nowhere while playing a smooth melody from a jade flute. Yun Ren Xie stepped back, why is her past haunting her? First, Saito Hajime being too familiar with Gu Ling and now.... Hijikita Toushirou with the same elegant posture and iris of Wuming.

The music halted when the person on top of the pavillion glanced at her direction. She was taken aback by the coldness and indiffrence in his eyes that lasted for a few second before changing in shock.

"Soma, why are you still up?" he asked while standing. Hijikita Toushirou just dreamt something alarming that he cant sleep. In his dreams, Soma disappeared and after a few weeks of looking for her, he finally found Soma however, she changed. Not the delicate face nor the slim figure of hers but her emotionless iris went cheerful. He cant point out the diffrence but his heart is telling him that it was not Soma anymore.

"I dreamt of something dire. Cant sleep." Yun Ren Xie answered, she stared at the jade flute in Hijikita's grasp. "That flute.... where did you get it?"

He raised his hand to look at the object, Soma knows this?

"Found it outside the carriage you rode this morning. Is this yours?"

"Mm." she went closer to him, gently touching the slender jade flute. "Oniisan bought it for me. This red ornament was personally made by my maid who died yesterday." Yun Ren Xie held the soft ornament, her eyes turning bloody when she remembered how that girl, Ishi, sacrificed herself for Soma.

Ruso Akayama, a weed will only grow as a threat for the blossoming plants. Its time to end your reign!

On the other side, Hijikita felt down. All the time, this girl in front of him kept talking about her brother. Is he more important that anything else?

"Soma, play a song for me. The same one at Hirano Shrine." he held Yun Ren Xie's hands and placed the jade flute on it. Hijikita can feel how soft her hands were, wishing he can hold them for a long time.

Yun Ren Xie raised her head, a smile formed on her face. The second mission is done, it meant Hijikita have fallen for her. With a glowing bright smile amidst the coldest night, Hijikita felt he have loved this girl to the point of no return.

As she played the quite joyous tone of song, it sent warmth to Hijikita and Asami who is looking from afar.

'Old Fourth, that girl is somewhat familiar to me.' a replica of Baoshi appeared beside Asami however, it has the color of snow.

"Me either but something related to a powerful being.... Like I've seen her with the Son of Heaven Liang Zise." Asami was confused, few of her memories were unlocked within a night staying beside Yun Ren Xie but when she was speaking with her previously, that girl only has her memories of this lifetime. Asami can guess this girl drank the whole soup of oblivion that she have forgotten what sort of immortal she is.

'The phoenix fate is within her soul but something is not right about it, like the energy flow is reversed.' Baoshi seriously said, staring at the fifth immortal on the pavilion.

"Baoshi! How can you say that? Reversed energy flow means her soul is cultivated by the darkness! Look at her, not a slight flaw can be seen." Asami retorted, this Yun Ren Xie is extremely friendly and kind towards her. She even cared about her unrelated brother in this fictional plane.

Baoshi vanished, her brows were creased together. She cant tell her host about the real attitude of the fifth immortal. Her name isnt Yun Ren Xie either but she have long forgotten it. Baoshi was once the Four Season's Fairy, winter, spring, summer and fall. When this system were created by the playful God of Fate, she was assigned as one of the guides, thus, dividing herself into four. But before her day of departure from Heaven and drinking the soup of oblivion, she caught a glimpse of a very alluring phoenix.

However, its energy flow were reversed. Phoenix were always the mother under the heaven thus she noted the girl's appearance. Long dark hair with red bloody iris, friendly outside but as the day of spying unto the phoenix got longer, Baoshi found that inside, the phoenix is a monster once provoked. Even immortals, fairies, gods and goddesses feared her. Also, Baoshi learnt that Heaven Emperor Li doted on her so much. A day before the departure, a banquet was prepared and there, Baoshi saw how the reversed phoenix and Son of Heaven Liang Zise seems to be talking.

She thought they were friends and left the place but a news reached her ears. The Son of Heaven ninth prince Liang Zise and seventh prince Shen Jin fought that the Heaven Emperor Li personally handed punishments of nine lifetimes at the mortal worlds both on his most favored son.

"God of Fate, when are you going to stop interfering the matters of immortals?" Baoshi asked within the dark void. She suddenly coughed out blood which scared her witless. Hundred thousands of years have passed, when will she return back to heaven?