Chapter 130: Longing Chulian

Inside a caliginous bed chamber, the dim light of candles slowly etched a figure of a man sitting upright the exquisitely floral carved headboard. Half of his body were exposed, an alluring beauty leaned on him while caressing his chest. He payed no attention, the vague shade of his purple iris remained focused on the book.

"Your Majesty...." the woman whispered in a low tone, she clearly want to arouse him once more. However, the man threw a cold gaze at her, she immediately stopped her movements.

He didnt speak as he moved away and started to wear his robes. "How brave of you Concubine Mu." the man simply glanced at her with no emotion before leaving the room, his dark ebony hair cascaded downwards as if mirroring a black dragon.

Concubine Mu blinked her eyes after dazing, she is frustrated! How come His Majesty still acts indifferent to her since she have the identical face of the late Empress Fang?! With a heavy pained heart, tears trickled from her limpid dark eyes. The mamas told her, her mother told her, even her father, they informed her as long as she resemble Empress Fang, His Majesty would love her! But no! It was all a lie! Even up until now.... It was clear that His Majesty favored them for all his concubines inside the palace aside from Imperial Concubine Zhao, all of them were substitutes.

"Your Majesty, Crown Prince Zihui has arrived this morning. His Highness is waiting inside the study hall." Eunuch Song quickly said as Ying Zheng exited the courtyard of Concubine Mu. Ying Zheng nodded without much concern as he strode elegantly towards the main palace where his study is located.

"You can leave." he lightly said before entering the courtyard ahead them. Ying Zheng opened the door and a man with almost the same identical features as him greeted his sight. "Apology, Zhen had some matters to attend this time."

"Yeah, like pleasuring a woman?" Xiang Zihui laughed burlesquely as he met Ying Zheng's frowning look.

"Dont beat around the bush. Just tell me what you need this time." Ying Zheng sat at a corner, one of his arm resting on top of the table while he propped his cheeks on his palm.

"My aunt, Fei Shengkai, left an earing here in Qin State. I want to retrieve it." he answered, Xiang Zihui fiddled with the familiar red plum blossom sculpture. It was the token Ying Zheng bought for Fang Ye Xue two years ago. Beside the small carving is a golden hairpin with red ruby inlays in the shape of plum blossoms, each has different volume yet finely carved like a true flower during their full potential bloom.

"A princess of Chu State?" Ying Zheng's lazy look vanished, he knew Fang Ye Xue is the hidden daughter of a Chu State princess. "Zihui, your keeping something."

"Not that much. I just want to retrieve it since that earing have a sentimental value. By the way, Xiang Se's hidden army were still at the South border, they are slowly marching towards the capital." he picked the hairpin next, caressing each curves of red petals. Xiang Zihui knew it was supposedly for Ying Zheng's late empress, she died before they can even live a life full of doting. The curse is still there, it could be either him or Zhao Chulian. It goes the same as Ying Zheng and Fang Ye Xue.

"You mean to say?"

Xiang Zihui placed the hairpin down, he stared straight to his friend's serious gaze. "Just informing you. I wont need your assistance, the deal is still on. If I ascend the throne, our State will be your alliance. The plan to conquer the five remaining states are easier to apply. Chu State is hegemonic and Qin State is strong-armed."

"You mentioned there is a chance of failure." Ying Zheng's slender brow knitted, he is confident Xiang Zihui will become Chu State's emperor, that prince is capable and he is the one who helped Ying Zheng manage a country if Li Si is not around. In his eyes, Xiang Zihui is even tactful and sly than him. Where did the chance of failure came from?

"Right. If that happened, help me conceal my identity. I'll withdraw all my army and wealth, when that time comes, it would be you who will conquer everything else. The game can kill me, Im a mortal after all." Xiang Zihui smiled in a bland way.

"Hah, I never heard of such thing. You created this life and death competition yet you'd lose?" Ying Zheng was never used at how deep and far Xiang Zihui's insights were. Ever since he was crowned as the ruler of Qin State at the age of thirteen, Xiang Zihui escaped Chu State and brought a scholar to aid him, it was no other than Li Si. The three of them became brothers as time flies, it was Ying Zheng who is forever grateful to them. Being the emperor at thirteen is no joke even though he is a bit matured.

Ying Zheng is really confused as to why Xiang Zihui is confident he will fall down in the future, if that does happen, he can aid this friend. However, if Ying Zheng find out what will cause Zihui's downfall, that obstacle..... Surely it will be disposed.

"Xiang Zihui, I will do my best to help you. As for the earing, what does it look like?"

"Pink dull jade in the shape of lotus."

Ying Zheng froze on his place, he remembered where he lastly saw such description of an earing. Fang Ye Xue have worn that once while they were travelling back in the capital but that is the first and last time he have seen it.

"Your Majesty?" Eunuch Song knocked on the door.

"Speak."

"A maid named Xiao Hai asked for Crown Prince' presense."

Xiang Zihui immediately stood up, he glanced at Ying Zheng with an apologetic look. "Excuse me first."

Ying Zheng nodded his head, he doesnt need to meddle with Xiang Zihui's matters. But why would a maid come looking for him? He heard Xiang Zihui came with his fiance Yu Heng and a general named Nian Feng. Maybe that maid is Yu Heng's? Forget it, he must rest. However, why is he feeling vexed?

"Ah Lian, how did you cut your hand?" Nian Feng asked while binding Zhao Chulian's palm.

"I.... I just wanted to pick a fruit from the basket but the knife stabbed me." she meekly answered, Yun Ren Xie never thought the blade Xiao Hai left is facing her when she tried to stealthily pick a fruit this afternoon.

"The bleeding stopped. Its better if you have two personal maids at your side other than Xiao Hai." he slowly let go of the snow white hands of Zhao Chulian, Nian Feng took one peach and peeled it fast. "You still want to eat?"

"En!" she nodded fervently, the peach in Qin State are more sweet but not as juicy as the peaches in Chu State.

"Open your mouth." he sliced the fruit into an edible piece before feeding it to Zhao Chulian, the girl is savoring each while he can only smile at her childishness, Nian Feng barely held his laugh.